• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hello to all

heatherdavis

I live in Brisbane, Australia. I've been working in the graphics/printing industry for many years and wish to start out on my own. From many years' experience I've found that I love all aspects of type and that I enjoy touching up artwork - logos etc. From this, I think that signwriting is the go for me. I want to know everything there is to know about this business and intend purchasing a Roland Stika Vinyl Plotter Starter Kit, because alot of people on this site have raved about it, saying it's the A1 way to get started. I'm still quite unsure of the industry and market but I know this is something I want to get into.
Cheers, Heather.

Ken

Hello Heather from the other side of the world.!
Beautiful BC, Canada.
My advice,is to forget the Stika machines and go to a 24 inch plotter, such as Graphtec, Roland, Summa.
I quickly out-grew the Stika machine.
You have some previous knowledge and will find a tiny cutter like the Stika to be "confining".
Oh yeah, will you marry me and let me emmigrate to Aussieland?
Just thought I would ask....
Cheers!
Ken

trakers

Dang it Ken you beat me to it. I've wanted to move to AU since I was old enough to know where it is. As funny as it is the first graphic I printed on my Graphtec was a Roo. It is on my window here. ;-)

Anyway, welcome Heather!

heatherdavis

Thanks for your welcome

Good afternoon,
Thanks so much for your welcome. I'm glad I discovered this site and hope to gain alot of useful information from friendly people such as yourself.
Cheers, Heather

Craig Sjoquist

welcome to a outstanding forum N a bunch of ppl that use it .
I've always been amazed by the great advertisments coming from Australia
looklike you al have a great time ..
freedom is not free

heatherdavis

Many thanks

Thanks to all who welcomed me to the site. I just wanted to ask a few questions about getting started in this business and going out on my own in a new field. I've already received some invaluable advice on what hardware to purchase, but what I'd also like to know is what the market is like and does it take long to master the basics. As I mentioned, I've had many years' experience as a typesetter in the printing industry - designing adverts, working with layers in both Illustrator and Photoshop, touching up photos etc - and I assume that sign writing isn't that much different. The transition should be smooth?
To establish a clientèle, what is the best way to go about this and which businesses are least traumatic to approach? I must sound like a scaredy cat, but at this stage I definitely am! My aim is to start off small so as to gain confidence and experience while building the business gradually.
Cheers, Heather.

ENTDesign

Welcome

The biggest difference between design for print and signage design is that signs need to be short and to the point, several words only at large size to be readable at a distance. Some customers will try to get you to load up all sorts of copy, though....