• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help need advise, Please.

DPD

I've got a Mutoh and there definitely is a learning curve to enter the printing world but owning a printer gives you some flexibility in your product offerings since you will be doing your own work.

Don't forget to get a service contract with a reputable Mutoh service company or you'll void your warranty.

jiarby

Anyone can buy a printer/plotter and call themselves a sign guy...

Just like buying a skillet & a spoon makes you a caterer.

The equipment just gives you the capability to produce the work. The BUSINESS end of becoming successful is actually getting the work! SELLING. MARKETING. What kind of creative talent do you have that will give you a competitive advantage over everyone else out there with a Mutoh Printer?

Who are your customers? Where are they buying right now? Why would they pick YOU instead of THEM? Do you know what your sales volume will be for the next 6-12 months?
You will quickly run out of buddies that need stickers (that are willing to pay real money anyway) so how will you get NEW customers?

You want to go 30-50k in debt? Fine with me! Just make sure you have the BUSINESS end handled... anyone can push the PRINT button. It is the rest that is hard!

I like the MUTOH/GRAPHTEC/ONYX combo.

CJ's

Hi everyone,
To start out thanks again for all the good info. Yes I am listening to all & appreciate it Very much. I will answer with this to all. When I built my car, No I did not build the block, but I did build the molds for the parts to make fiberglass parts, & the lexan windows, so on & so forth. As for being in the industry, I am NEW, but again willing to give it a try with my GF
so her & I can try to make a small but decent living. As for spending money, 30k is a small investment if you think about it, what was the price of your last NEWER car you bought ? just think about it :) As for all the people who give back ataboy's, "WE" Thank you. Were just giving this a shot & thought this would be a good place to start with some questions & hope you all understand. We all have ideas, but if no one tries, How will they find out ? We have a little computer back ground & are just going to see if we can make a go of it. Just hope you all will give a little advise when needed time to time.
Thanks you all. Even the one who polishes Turds. :(>

high impact

CJ's

You crack me up...

But you are CORRECT! The $30k is a tiny little investment compared to the rest of the bazillion questions you did not ask or even know to ask. Some of us have successfully started and managed businesses in varying industry's multiple times. I have subbed out certain divisions and niche items in every business i started until I had built up the client base to support the justification of the return on investment in equipment, inventory AND education. You are a little (actually a lot) limited with your tunnel vision - I'm not saying that you don't have what it takes but I am saying that there is "more than meets the eye" and you can learn the foundational skills by subbing FIRST (I'm not saying forever).

You have been given excellent advice even though you do not agree. Good luck!

Checkers

A typical business would need to generate an additional $1,000 - $2,000 a month of digital printing sales alone just to make the lease payment on a decent printer alone. The problem is you really need a lot more than the printer alone to make it worth the effort and, like the others said, $30K is just a drop in the bucket.
On the low end, you should also spend a lot on the following:
$3,000 for a high performance computer
$4,000 for software - Corel & Adobe Suites, RIP software
$5,000 for a good laminator
$1,500 for training
$1,500 for color calibration hardware and software
$2,000 for media and laminate
$ 500 for misc supplies
$ 500 for production tables
So, besides the printer, we're at an additional $18k+ before the cost of acquiring or building the appropriate dust free, environmentally controlled area all the equipment should reside in.
I'm sure if you do the math, a more reaistic number to get into digital printing would be somewhere between $50,000 to $75,000 when it's all said and done - figuring in overhead and other costs related to the acquisition.
Spending this kind of money up front will get you where you can comfortably sell printing without the worry of being able to produce it, because if you can not produce it without issues - in a timely manner, your clients will go elsewhere.

Checkers

rambo555

I purchased a Mutoh and love it. That being said, The people in this forum are speaking the truth. If you have the funds and are willing to put in the hours, go for it. Like the suggestions in this thread, invest in some layout books and be prepared to put out cash for the buy-in materials.

Here are some things that I had to invest in for my business:

A good RIP and sign package (most important to me)
A good PC to run your RIP and sign package
Corel Draw, Photoshop, or AI (I have all three and use them on a regular basis)
Estimate Software(not required but it makes it easy to quote your work)
Quickbooks (not required but pays itself off when you file your taxes)
A nice contour cutting machine (I personally avoid dual cutting / printing machines)
Domain Name / Hosting site (I do the pages myself)
Business cards (or print your own)
Buy-in materials (Vinyls, laminates, banner material, etc...) MAJOR COST!!!
Spare ink (a must!!!)
Cutting mats and cutting tools
Grommet machine (with grommets)If you plan on doing banners (plan on these as they can be a great revenue means for your business!)
Tables for layout and construction
Laminator (you can start off with a Biq-Squegee)
Sign fonts (opens a lot more creativity to your signs and banners)
Phone (need to have a dedicated line or plan on answering the home line professionally)

These are all of the things I can think of. Good luck and stick with it!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Cut vinyl will probably NEVER go away! ;-)
That's just wishful thinking. I'm seeing more shops go to strait printing. It is so much easier and less expensive to keep one color (white) vinyl on hand and print whatever color that is needed. No weeding or masking for the most part.

Just think of all the investment you have in all those colors you keep on hand. How much of that vinyl will get too old to use before you use it all up? Need a special color? more vinyl you may never use because you are going to order more than you need to be safe.

With printing you use the vinyl up as you get it. You don't have to worry about ordering more than you need for a job. Less waste, less storage, less expense. And it all gets applied so easy without masking with the Big Squeegee.

Ken

Mr & Ms Buckeye..welcome to Signs 101...
Problem with printed output is the longevity.
Many clients do not like the idea of having to replace the graphics after only 3 years. Cut vinyl will double (or better) the lifespan.
Printer/plotter should be the same size. The laminator should be a little bigger.
You state you have limited computer experience.
Attempting to learn several different software programs simultaneously, learning the ins and outs of operating modern computer system, learning design and layout, material selection, installation techniques....well, it is a lot to ask of anyone.
A bottomless pit of money will not make you a successful business.
The only one who starts at the top is a gravedigger.
I don't want to dissuade your enthusiasm..it is commendable. And I'm sure you've seen lots of cool racecar designs over the years. That market is limited. Most of the race car people I've encountered expect the "price break" for allowing the sign person to advertise on the car. It doesn't work. If you're working for a big race team..(McLaren, Ferrari, Honda, etc) well, they have the budget..do you expect they will be knocking on your door?
A combo print/cut machine ( Versacamm, Summa) should serve you well for a few years and then you could upgrade to higher production equipment.
Cheers!
Ken

Dave Drane

Mr & Ms Buckeye..welcome to Signs 101...
Problem with printed output is the longevity.
Many clients do not like the idea of having to replace the graphics after only 3 years. Cut vinyl will double (or better) the lifespan.
Printer/plotter should be the same size. The laminator should be a little bigger.
You state you have limited computer experience.
Attempting to learn several different software programs simultaneously, learning the ins and outs of operating modern computer system, learning design and layout, material selection, installation techniques....well, it is a lot to ask of anyone.
A bottomless pit of money will not make you a successful business.
The only one who starts at the top is a gravedigger.
I don't want to dissuade your enthusiasm..it is commendable. And I'm sure you've seen lots of cool racecar designs over the years. That market is limited. Most of the race car people I've encountered expect the "price break" for allowing the sign person to advertise on the car. It doesn't work. If you're working for a big race team..(McLaren, Ferrari, Honda, etc) well, they have the budget..do you expect they will be knocking on your door?
A combo print/cut machine ( Versacamm, Summa) should serve you well for a few years and then you could upgrade to higher production equipment.
Cheers!
Ken

:goodpost: great post and the best adcice!! Thanks Ken!!:U Rock:

S'N'S

I sub out all my printing to a guy who gives me a really good price and another thing I like is, if he makes a stuff up, he has to eat the loss not me(he's made a few). Where I live I am surrounded by 3 towns and most of my sign work is cut vinyl and very rarely get asked for prints, especially when you tell the customer they will only get 3-5years out of their sign. I am in no hurry to shell out $35k for a printer and laminator and will continue to sub out my prints.