• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help on lighted box install

cooltouch

Hey guys, we just started working with box signs and have an install to do and was wondering what is the best way to anchor down a 3ft x 6ft lighted box sign on to a brick wall. Any type of info would be helpful.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
these

hamer riveanchors.jpg

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I get them at my local hardware store, they are pretty common. I'm sure even Home Depot has them.

signguy 55

Lowe's calls them masonry drive pins. As the pin is hammered in the built in shield flares out, it's super strong but be aware that if you ever have to remove them it will destroy the sheet metal or whatever substrate you have used. I have used them for years for MDO and metal sign installations, but have recently gone to Tapcom fasteners.

It seemed more customers were wanting to relocate a sign and I got tired of trying to remove the sign without damaging it.

Lag bolts and shields would also work. Make a template out of 4mm corrugated plastic, predrill your holes at your shop, duct tape the template to the wall, drill your holes, install the shields and git 'er done. This way will save you time in the long run.

mbarden

Lag Shields and Lag Bolts. The only way to go. All the professional installers do it that way. I learned the hard way to follow experince when installing signs.
MB

Billct2

I like to use brackets. Set the brackets using the anchor of your choice, drop the sign in place and fasten with big sheet metal screws or bolts to the brackets.

GB2

Old Member
I find it hard to believe that anyone would even consider using masonry drive pins, slap nails, hammer pins, or whatever you might call them, as ddarlak showed, to install illuminated lightbox signs. A proper lag bolt and lead anchor with appropriate brackets would be the minimum requred for such an installation. I'm sure if you do your research you'll find code in your area for this type of installation too.

skyhigh

Originally Posted by signguy 55 View Post

Lag bolts and shields would also work. Make a template out of 4mm corrugated plastic, predrill your holes at your shop, duct tape the template to the wall, drill your holes, install the shields and git 'er done. This way will save you time in the long run.

I don't install sign boxes, but as far as tips go this is a great one.

Skip the template and drill directly thru the back of the box and into the block wall with your masonry bit, then install your hammer anchors.
SWEET. Save your template for your Gem letters.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would even consider using masonry drive pins, slap nails, hammer pins, or whatever you might call them, as ddarlak showed, to install illuminated lightbox signs. A proper lag bolt and lead anchor with appropriate brackets would be the minimum requred for such an installation. I'm sure if you do your research you'll find code in your area for this type of installation too.

#1. They do meet code
#2. Have you read what a PITA they are to get out? Sounds like they hold pretty darn good.
#3. The subject is a lighted sign box. Should you have to remove the cabinet, who in the heck is gonna see if you "bunged" up the metal?
#4. hammer anchors are not for every install....albeit, they would be my first choice for most illuminated cabinet on a block wall.

All the professional installers do it that way.
You are misinformed. You should have asked me :cool:

(not saying there is anything wrong with shields and lags)

visual800

drive pins are great but I also like to drive 2-4 of these in depending on the size of sign. titen HD. you drill hole and screw these in with socket wrench and its not easy and they hold!

Attachments

• 112a-2008.jpg
    112a-2008.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 91

FS-Keith

drive pins are great but I also like to drive 2-4 of these in depending on the size of sign. titen HD. you drill hole and screw these in with socket wrench and its not easy and they hold!

we stock those in 3/8 and 1/2" they are great. run them in with a cordless impact