• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help... Printing Reds

MikesSigns

I have been printing with my sp300v for quite awhile and have never found a good profile for a deep , fire engine red. I play with profiles, color formulas, ink densities and many look like they are too orange. I have played and tweeked with spot colors, versa camms color library, pantones and others and just do not like with what I end up with. Printing with eco-sol ink on control tac or simular.
Any thoughts or whats your best red look like.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

AceHigh

We have a VP540 and use the Versaworks RIP. Most of the time we use a Pantone like 186c, but it prints better if you convert it to a cmyk value in Illustrator first. You do that by selecting the item and then in the upper right go to the color pallet and it will show it as a pantone, then just click on the little box that has the 4 cmyk colors inside it and it converts the color into a cmyk value that is easier for the Roland software to interpret. Sometimes it will interpret it just fine, but this way Illustrator does it better. Also make sure in Versaworks you select "Sign and Display" instead of "US Pre-Press" as well as having the proper profile from the vinyl manufacture. You have to be careful with the sign and display setting if you have gradients or photos because it will make them look over saturated, but it is great for vector graphics and most signage. We use that setting on probably 80% of the stuff we print.
Hope it helps,
Carl

gnatt66

i really like pr-42k in the Roland Color Library. its brighter than oracal 651 red and not too yellow.

thewood

Your reds are largely dependent on your profile and ink.

That being said, I've gotten great results with 0/100/100/0 on a few different machines. You can back off the yellow in small increments if it appears too orange. Sometimes, adding a bit of cyan can take away the orange hue as well.

MikesSigns

Thanks for the ideas. I've learned there are so many factors in finding that right color red. I will continue tweaking and update on how your ideas worked on my machine... much :thankyou:appreciated.
Mike

Charlie J

Like most of you, I've tried just about everything to get a decent red out of my Roland. The best luck I've had, is

R-190
G-30
B-45

Give it a shot.