• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Help with factory instlall Vinyl Window Pillar

tpirovol

Hey Everyone,

I opened my door today and did not realize how close I was to the cement pillar. In the end it looks like I ripped the vinyl they use on the window frame. It is very small and not worried about the white underneath as that is the paint on my car rather than the frame.

All I am trying to do is hide the white and ensure water does not get under the vinyl and make it bubble. I am thinking Black touch up paint or black nail polish or plasti-dip.

Hoping someone can offer some options besides replacing the vinyl. It's cheap and somewhat easy but so think they will install it as perfectly as the factory.

IMG_2930_zpsdfyyaey0.jpg

Thanks T

striper14

DONT use nail polish it will just make it worse. Either get it replaced...most are 3M air release material even panel beaters can install....or just cut a 12mm strip of black or matte and tape the whole frame edge

equippaint

How and why would nail polish make it worse? Its just laquer, no hot solvents. You can spray 2 part clears over decals which are hot with no problems. Not argueing just asking since this is new info to me.

S'N'S

Any gunk you fill that with will have to be removed when you go to fix it, why not fix it properly from the start. That is a 10-15 minute fix with a new piece of flat black vinyl.

striper14

just speaking from experience...when vinyl pin stripes where all the rage some people would use clear nail polish to seal the ends which eventually turned yellow so many times i was asked/ told to fix it if possible. Most of the time it was rock hard & had burrowed into the paint so its just not a sensible solution unless you like giving yourself more problems later on. Just fixing it properly the first time is a quicker solution

tpirovol

I think I found the best solution. Its called plasti-dip or rubbery spray and mainly used as a car cover replacements. Does not effect the clear coat and peals off easily when needed. I would just replace it but it is hard to find people that take pride in there work now a days. If it was as easy as just finding someone to do it and know it would turn out good the money would be no issue.

Not trying to be offensive but that is the reality of the situation. I figured fill it in with this rubber and paint it on. If it comes of in the summer I will find a good vinyl installer and have him put it on instead of the dealership.

Will let you know how it goes. Funny thing is this is such a small thing and not sure why it has obsessed me. Work is slow I guess and like any engineer always more interesting to find different fixes for the same situation :0

Thanks for the reply guys
Terry

equippaint

I said nail polish (which I still think is fine) but if it were mine Id use a sharpie if I did anything at all honestly

S'N'S

I think I found the best solution. Its called plasti-dip or rubbery spray and mainly used as a car cover replacements. Does not effect the clear coat and peals off easily when needed. I would just replace it but it is hard to find people that take pride in there work now a days. If it was as easy as just finding someone to do it and know it would turn out good the money would be no issue.

Not trying to be offensive but that is the reality of the situation. I figured fill it in with this rubber and paint it on. If it comes of in the summer I will find a good vinyl installer and have him put it on instead of the dealership.

Will let you know how it goes. Funny thing is this is such a small thing and not sure why it has obsessed me. Work is slow I guess and like any engineer always more interesting to find different fixes for the same situation :0

Thanks for the reply guys
Terry

Soooo, I take it your NOT a signwriter, be it vinyl or paint.

Reaction GFX

Plastidip is NOT going to be a good solution. I've used plenty of the stuff for wheels, emblems, trim. It's relatively thick when applied properly, and in my opinion is going to stick out like a sore thumb. The way I see it you have two options: If it REALLY bothers you, and it sounds like it does, find a reputable sign/vehicle graphics shop and have the vinyl removed and replaced. This is the proper way to really fix the issue. There HAS to be at least one shop in your area that has a good reputation and does good work. Your second option is to use whatever band-aid you choose to make it look okay, but know that you run the risk of the repair looking poor, sticking out worse than the damage itself, and/or making it that much more difficult to repair properly after you decide the band-aid isn't good enough for you.

If it were me, I'd hit that with a Sharpie and be done with it. Reapply as needed every few months. But it sounds like you're a bit more particular than I am.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Soooo, I take it your NOT a signwriter, be it vinyl or paint.

Exactly. If you check out his/her profile, he/she has not a thing to do with the sign industry. These people are coming in like flies on sh!t. Evidently the criteria has changed drastically for entry into this place. We no longer are dealing with other sign shops, students or sign related people/workers. There are many end-users among us..... not to mention spongers who are freely advertising their wares without paying any Merchant Member fees.

And people wonder what's the harm in talking about things on a sign forum.

jayhawksigns

I guess I looked at the whole picture and situation and came away with other questions.

He said it came installed from the factory. Is it a thing now for Ford (guessing on the brand here based on the steering wheel) to color the pillars on the doors with vinyl?? That's new to me. But I would have some complaints if that was the case. The corner is not laid down very well in my opinion and I wouldn't lay down a seem the way the factory did either. I usually start from the rear and work forward, and it looks like the opposite on the door.

Marlene

go into your sign shop and cut a small peice of vinyl which I'm sure, as a sign shop you must have and patch it

ExecuPrintGS

I guess I looked at the whole picture and situation and came away with other questions.

He said it came installed from the factory. Is it a thing now for Ford (guessing on the brand here based on the steering wheel) to color the pillars on the doors with vinyl?? That's new to me. But I would have some complaints if that was the case. The corner is not laid down very well in my opinion and I wouldn't lay down a seem the way the factory did either. I usually start from the rear and work forward, and it looks like the opposite on the door.

The vehicle appears to be a mazda (my guess 2011ish mazda 3), my wife has the same car, Factory installed matte black vinyl on the doors. It was done so poorly i removed it and re-installed it correct for her shortly after we bought the car.

Like others have said, get it fixed by a professional (which we have all realized at this point you are not) sign/ vehicle graphics shop.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Juts peel it all off. No need for it unless you really like the look of it.

mmblarg

Oh...seems to be the case. So...how is OP even on this site asking this question? Just curious.

Technically the site doesn't require any affiliation with sign making to be a member of the forums - you can put "no experience" and no company when filling out the form. Honestly, it's pretty easy to end up here when you have a sign related question since these forums frequently pop up in google searches.

My advice to the OP - avoid nail polish, it can be pretty destructive. Aside from quick fix products you might find (never used any so I don't have any recommendations) I would ask a local sign shop for a sample piece of black high performance vinyl to cover up the ding until you are ready to have it professionally replaced. We personally keep scrap vinyl on hand and will give small samples free of charge when it's requested.

mpn

Exactly. If you check out his/her profile, he/she has not a thing to do with the sign industry. These people are coming in like flies on sh!t. Evidently the criteria has changed drastically for entry into this place. We no longer are dealing with other sign shops, students or sign related people/workers. There are many end-users among us..... not to mention spongers who are freely advertising their wares without paying any Merchant Member fees.

And people wonder what's the harm in talking about things on a sign forum.

Pretty sure this is what has changed.