• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Help with old backlit box...

Z Force

I have the oppty to quote some new faces for a new customer. They are to go into an existing old backlit box. It needs refurbed or replaced (customer prefers fixing). I haven't had much experience and normally wouldn't mess with this part but if I want the job I need to do it all.
Any advice on where you would start? Power is going to box but other than that nothing works. Posting pics.
Thanks.
Z

Attachments

• IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 90

401Graphics

Well unless youre an electrician I wouldnt touch it. You fix it and then it catches fire and the building goes up in flames. Guess whos in trouble?

Ive been asked to fix a sign in that condition before, or worse. I told them i wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole. I wont even put a face it in because the frame was sagging off the pole and twisted.

Z SIGNS

Replace the ballast and sockets and socket raceway if needed.Oh yeah your going to need a pan face for that cabinet.

petrosgraphics

it looks to me to be an old excellart sign cabinet....

you will need: pan faces, cabinet not wide enough for flat faces..

new ballast, new fixtures (582 & 583 kulka sockets)
size of ballast? number of lamps and length..
sockets? pr. for each lamp..
make sure all components to cabinet are there.

make sure you look hard and long at the way the cabinet is set up..
sockets snap into place, w/spring loaded on top..wire diagram will
be on new ballast....

if you think you can handle the project, great.. if you need an electrician

to be on the safe side, have him wire the sign and up charge a little
for his time....

MikePro

can o' worms for sure.
you've got steel upright and power-connection, so not complete loss. i'm sure a new cabinet will definitely be less$$$ than re-vamping the existing, and WAY less than a new sign altogether.

fresh

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your input, much appreciated.

Think I'm gonna let this one go...

Z

LET IT GO. We made the mistake of taking on a project like this. I couldn't get the faces made, then I got a quote from someone that was too good to be true (which I used as the basis of my quote.) I wound up having to order the faces from someone else for more money, the electrical was a nightmare, etc, etc, etc. We lost money, I will never do another sign like this again.

Actually, you can suggest putting aluminum faces in the box, and using self-tappers, secure the crap out of it. Then have the client install spotlights on it. That is the most economical solution.