• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Here on Signs101 are there any sign makers that still use brushes and paints?

Do you do hand painted lettering?

• Yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Billct2

I distinctly remember two jobs we did right after we got the Gerber in '80/81. One was for the freelance installers that were doing the first TV cable lines that were warehoused next to us. Each had to have a magnet sign for their truck and they would order them as they were hired, ended up being dozens and dozens of sets. Then Crazy Eddie, an east coast electronics chain, started opening up in CT. They wanted the brand names of all their products in a repeating band around the walls of the inside of the store, hundreds of names cut in Helvetica. Also like sardocs it was a relief not to have to do some jobs with a quill anymore. My boss had bought sets of flat cut acrylic helvetica, whole alphabets in 2", 3" , 4". We would use them to trace the text and names for all the development signs we were doing that had a dozen or more companies involved in a project listed at the bottom. Nice to just cut them and apply.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I distinctly remember two jobs we did right after we got the Gerber in '80/81. One was for the freelance installers that were doing the first TV cable lines that were warehoused next to us. Each had to have a magnet sign for their truck and they would order them as they were hired, ended up being dozens and dozens of sets. Then Crazy Eddie, an east coast electronics chain, started opening up in CT. They wanted the brand names of all their products in a repeating band around the walls of the inside of the store, hundreds of names cut in Helvetica. Also like sardocs it was a relief not to have to do some jobs with a quill anymore. My boss had bought sets of flat cut acrylic helvetica, whole alphabets in 2", 3" , 4". We would use them to trace the text and names for all the development signs we were doing that had a dozen or more companies involved in a project listed at the bottom. Nice to just cut them and apply.
Billct2 Did you have any hiccups doing weeding with that early vinyl material?

Johnny Best

Only good story is when I was young in the late 60s and working at a sign shop in Missouri, Springfield if my memory serves me right, and getting caught in bed with the boss's daughter at his bungalow at Lake of the Ozarks. It was my "brush" with death.
Why the interview with me? You get my drawings I do of you deleted by the boss of this site all the time. So no interviews, your fake news.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Johnny Best So good to hear that you "Still do it all the time." I sense that you are in a rare class.
And, I certainly to appreciate your handmade illustrations posted here on Signs101.
Let me ask you this, think back to some of your early days and see if you
can pull out an interesting story. I'd like to interview you, right here in this thread.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Only good story is when I was young in the late 60s and working at a sign shop in Missouri, Springfield if my memory serves me right, and getting caught in bed with the boss's daughter at his bungalow at Lake of the Ozarks. It was my "brush" with death.
Why the interview with me? You get my drawings I do of you deleted by the boss of this site all the time. So no interviews, your fake news.
Yes, I have had quite a few really bad days here on Signs101. Sorry about that. Today is a new day, and I hope to do better. I respect you and appreciate you. Often misunderstand you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Evidently, he's losing his touch for listening................................. :sleepin:

SignosaurusRex

I still do some hand lettered signs, windows, trucks, boats, walls etc. I still have an insane amount of paints and brushes.
It's not just the old timers anymore that are turning out some real nice hand lettered / painted works. There is a growing community of young guns, both male and female that are learning the craft (properly), and making good money at it.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Johnny Best Well, your post about "getting caught..." I wonder. Let me narrow it down to one small detail. Johnny Best are you aware of how Paul Gentile views that kind of post?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
I still do some hand lettered signs, windows, trucks, boats, walls etc. I still have an insane amount of paints and brushes.
It's not just the old timers anymore that are turning out some real nice hand lettered / painted works. There is a growing community of young guns, both male and female that are learning the craft (properly), and making good money at it.
SignosaurusRex so glad you brought up the "growing community of young guns..." Do you happen to know if any of them are members of Signs101?

SignosaurusRex

No Robert, they are not. There are other social media groups that are geared specifically for them with proper education, discussion, exemplars, connections and direction from the best of the best in the craft world-wide.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
No Robert, they are not. There are other social media groups that are geared specifically for them with proper education, discussion, exemplars, connections and direction from the best of the best in the craft world-wide.
SignosaurusRex I remember back about four years ago, just before I retired from N Glantz (New owner of Product Sign Supplies), I met two of these brand new hand lettering sign makers. I so much enjoyed visiting with them.
I wonder, between you and me, could we continue this exploratory conversation here in the open forum, or maybe better privately? I would like to learn more from you about them. And also, back to the original topic, I would like hear your business story, how you got started. What do you say?

Stacey K

I like making signs
It would be fun to learn but I've only been asked a couple times if I hand letter. Not sure it is worth the time to learn.

I would think it would be easier to hand letter things like swooshes on motorcycles etc. rather than using cut vinyl or pinstripe?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would be fun to learn but I've only been asked a couple times if I hand letter. Not sure it is worth the time to learn.

I would think it would be easier to hand letter things like swooshes on motorcycles etc. rather than using cut vinyl or pinstripe?

At this point in the game, don't take on anything like that. First of all, almost all of the paint is like painting with snot these days. Yeah, there are tricks to get it to flow and work, but it's very frustrating and the different brands all have different little secrets connected to them. Unless you're like S'Rex, it aint' worth the time or effort. Besides, like I said, doing it right, most people don't wanna wait for those 3 or 4 coats of paint to dry properly, let alone your lettering paint.

SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex I remember back about four years ago, just before I retired from N Glantz (New owner of Product Sign Supplies), I met two of these brand new hand lettering sign makers. I so much enjoyed visiting with them.
I wonder, between you and me, could we continue this exploratory conversation here in the open forum, or maybe better privately? I would like to learn more from you about them. And also, back to the original topic, I would like hear your business story, how you got started. What do you say?

For what purpose and to what end? What do you hope to achieve or glean? Are you writing a book? I like to get paid for my time. I'm sure that you can find better sources of info and much more interesting stories if you look in the right places. Maybe start with "SIgn Painting Support Group" on FB.

SignosaurusRex

For what it's worth Stacey, One must really "Want" to learn the craft to start with.
Anything worth doing, including the "learning" itself, is worth doing it right. Bad habits and improper teachings are rampant in improper instruction.
One must also make the time, have the discipline, patience and drive. Practice, Practice, Practice...it never ends.
One doe's not get there in a month, a year or sometimes ever.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
For what purpose and to what end? What do you hope to achieve or glean? Are you writing a book? I like to get paid for my time. I'm sure that you can find better sources of info and much more interesting stories if you look in the right places. Maybe start with "SIgn Painting Support Group" on FB.
SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex as you ask, "For what purpose and to what end?" Back in January of 2019, I was reading Jeffrey Gitomer's new book, "Sales Manifesto." The purpose and end of my interest in those who still do hand lettering is their ultimate success. That is the big picture. In the middle of Gitomer's book, I found my first stepping stones: He says, "You begin the business of making friends. You begin the business of creating mutual smiles." (page 125) I liked that idea and set about to learn the first tiny steps. In July of this year, I became more interested in Signs101. Well, to keep from getting too long, here I am now, still learning how to take those first steps. All while keeping in mind that my goal is your ultimate success. If you want to continue, okay with me. If you want to hold off, no problem.

SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex as you ask, "For what purpose and to what end?" Back in January of 2019, I was reading Jeffrey Gitomer's new book, "Sales Manifesto." The purpose and end of my interest in those who still do hand lettering is their ultimate success. That is the big picture. In the middle of Gitomer's book, I found my first stepping stones: He says, "You begin the business of making friends. You begin the business of creating mutual smiles." (page 125) I liked that idea and set about to learn the first tiny steps. In July of this year, I became more interested in Signs101. Well, to keep from getting too long, here I am now, still learning how to take those first steps. All while keeping in mind that my goal is your ultimate success. If you want to continue, okay with me. If you want to hold off, no problem.

Robert, check your private messages (conversations).