• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hi, Need help with finishing exterior sign after V carving

Cabin Fever Co.

Hello, I'm new to signs 101 and exterior sign making. I have a client who wants a v carved sign for outside. It is under an awning but generally exposed to cold/hot weather. it is attached to a gazebo like structure that is stained dark. .
They want the sign stained dark grey ( on yellow pine ) with white lettering . I was going to stain it with Benjamin moore arborcoat exterior stain , then oramask on top. then spray the letters with water based exterior poly ( general finishes water based 450 ) then spray the letters white with an exterior white latex paint. No sealer over that.
I have never made an exterior sign so I don’t know what to expect. These materials were recommend to me from the paint store but I wanted to confirm with a sign maker if possible. I really hope it doesn’t peel right away ! Thanks in advance !
Tom
test of john murphy .jpg
murphy sign mock up small.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I really think the yellow pine is a bad idea all around. Also, with wood..... sealer if you're using a good stain, goes on afterwards.

Billct2

Agree on the yellow pine, I would use cedar at a minimum, or mahogany.
If they insist on a transparent grey stain I would stain the whole thing then apply a good sealer
Then I'd use white one shot enamel on the letters. .

Jean Shimp

V carving wood with a CNC router will result in a lot of splintering unless you use the right kind of wood. We have found Poplar is good and not super expensive in our area. Our method for this type of sign would be to sand wood as smooth as possible (with the grain), stain, seal, mask with yellow paint mask, V carve letters ( hopefully no lifting on the mask), then spray letters with a clear coat to prevent paint from seeping under the mask. Then paint letters. We use latex paints, probably 2 coats. Then peel off mask.

JBurton

Signtologist
Ah, just burn it before you route it, or maybe after, I'm really not sure. We had an employee building some adirondack chairs in the shop, and he burnt the wood instead of staining it. After enough wiping away of the soot, they were fine chairs.
At any rate, when I first saw your sample, that's what I thought you had done.