• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High End ADA

Billct2

I have a bid for ADA signs for a multi building apartment complex. I've done several for this client before but they have a new architect and the spec for the ADA signs has changed.
They are now multi layer acrylic, one layer of non glare back painted a custom color, another layer of black, and a mounting shim with brushed gold text and clear braille.
Anyone have as ource for something like this?

Thanks

Neila Printing

I have a bid for ADA signs for a multi building apartment complex. I've done several for this client before but they have a new architect and the spec for the ADA signs has changed.
They are now multi layer acrylic, one layer of non glare back painted a custom color, another layer of black, and a mounting shim with brushed gold text and clear braille.
Anyone have as ource for something like this?

Thanks
Lucidity in the Bronx ask for Helen

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Make sure that it is compliant as some architects don't use the ADA standards when specing out signs

This for sure. About 2 years ago, we hadda do a medical facility and it had about 350 ADA signs. When I got the specs, I asked if they met ADA requirements and they verbally told me yes. In my bid, I put a line item in, which stated, we were only doing the installation part of the job. If things need to be changed out for whatever reason, we would not be held responsible for removal or re-installing new signs.... again for whatever reason. They had signed off, probably not even paying attention to that statement. Got the job done and needless to say, the signs were gorgeous, but after the inspection a few weeks later, they were notified that the colors did not match their initial proofs submitted about a year earlier. They asked me to fix it. I sent them a new quote for removing all the signs and hanging all the new ones. I felt bad for them and gave them I think, a 15% discount. They practically bit my head off, telling me I was wrong for charging like this. I should be this and should be that...... and I just said to the guy.... do you remember my telling you these signs didn't look like they'd pass an inspection ?? That's why I put that line item in. I know the area and told you to be sure. This time, I requested my money upfront. They b!tched about that, too. I didn't care. Didn't need the hassles or headaches. About 2 weeks later or so, received the check in it's entirety and scheduled the work the day after the new signs came in. Dumb sh!ts though made the new signs exactly the size of the old ones telling me they'd fit the old templates. Yeah, right. About 2/3s of them fit, but you try drilling out 400 holes and drilling them over an 1/8" or 3/16" over. Luckily it happened on one of the first ones we did. Figured out how to oval out the hole and just force the screws in. Screws were ever-so-slightly skewed, but it worked and everyone was happy in the end. Never heard back from that company.

• Hilarious!
Reactions: 2B

Billct2

Thanks for the referrals.
I will rely on the expertise of the ADA manufacturer and ask then to confirm compliance. If they find an issue then I can make the client aware.

2B

This for sure. About 2 years ago, we hadda do a medical facility and it had about 350 ADA signs. When I got the specs, I asked if they met ADA requirements and they verbally told me yes. In my bid, I put a line item in, which stated, we were only doing the installation part of the job. If things need to be changed out for whatever reason, we would not be held responsible for removal or re-installing new signs.... again for whatever reason. They had signed off, probably not even paying attention to that statement. Got the job done and needless to say, the signs were gorgeous, but after the inspection a few weeks later, they were notified that the colors did not match their initial proofs submitted about a year earlier. They asked me to fix it. I sent them a new quote for removing all the signs and hanging all the new ones. I felt bad for them and gave them I think, a 15% discount. They practically bit my head off, telling me I was wrong for charging like this. I should be this and should be that...... and I just said to the guy.... do you remember my telling you these signs didn't look like they'd pass an inspection ?? That's why I put that line item in. I know the area and told you to be sure. This time, I requested my money upfront. They b!tched about that, too. I didn't care. Didn't need the hassles or headaches. About 2 weeks later or so, received the check in it's entirety and scheduled the work the day after the new signs came in. Dumb sh!ts though made the new signs exactly the size of the old ones telling me they'd fit the old templates. Yeah, right. About 2/3s of them fit, but you try drilling out 400 holes and drilling them over an 1/8" or 3/16" over. Luckily it happened on one of the first ones we did. Figured out how to oval out the hole and just force the screws in. Screws were ever-so-slightly skewed, but it worked and everyone was happy in the end. Never heard back from that company.

got the love these blind signature approvals.........................

onsite "modifications" are always the ace up the sleeve