• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High pull magnetic sheeting

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Is there such a thing as high strength magnetic sheeting? We use magnum magnetics .030 but the wind is blowing them off of the pallet racking the customer is using them on

2B

+1 for what J said. Magnetic works BEST when COMPLETLY FLAT & FULLY MOUNTED

also, we stopped using Magnum several years ago, their material got weaker. Changed to Care-Safe, it is a stronger PPI (strength) and have been happy with the results

Notarealsignguy

Sell them a piece of sheet metal to go on that rack, this stuff has almost 0 wind load resistance unless it's 'fully adhered' to the surface. .030" is rated for 30 lbs/ft^2 (0 air gap, if paint is applied this decreases further), but if they are slapping it on like a 2" angle frame on the rack, you're cutting down significantly on that holding power, plus leaving the back open to wind load.
There are hundreds of them. I also thought it may be layers of paint but I can't really tell them to go scrape it all off so the magnets work. I was hoping there would be a stronger material. Grimco shows magnum magnetics is rated for 85lbs/sqft across all thicknesses. If that is wrong, I could use 060?

SignEST

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression the thinner stuff works better outdoors because it doesn't blow off as easy. Could always drop 2 neodymiums on each one to hold them in place more securely. The round or square variety.

Notarealsignguy

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression the thinner stuff works better outdoors because it doesn't blow off as easy. Could always drop 2 neodymiums on each one to hold them in place more securely. The round or square variety.
Funny you said that, I was thinking the same thing. The bars are super strong. As a side note, they are great for getting metal out of your eye. I've used them twice now, swab with alcohol and rub them around your eye.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Funny you said that, I was thinking the same thing. The bars are super strong. As a side note, they are great for getting metal out of your eye. I've used them twice now, swab with alcohol and rub them around your eye.
You should be wearing safety glasses.

ikarasu

https://magnummagnetics.com/musclemag-digital/ There is muscle mag thats 75 LB SQFt. 150% Stronger than their regular magnet... might work?

Search your vendors for high energy magnetic - Theres a local seller here who supposedly (Never heard or tried them) sells 144LB SQFT Magnetic... but I imagine those are some inflated chinese specs.

rjssigns

Maybe try Fixxon material. It's a material that I remember from a couple decades ago. Company went out of business but it seems Fixxon has resurrected the product. It's a non-magnetic magnet material replacement. I have a rectangle of it on my truck and it's been through the car wash at least once.

You may also want to try the micro-dot from BigFish. Did a couple temporary "door magnets" for a client. Was only supposed to last them until I could letter the doors. Guess what? Still haven't gotten the call.
Sometime in the next couple weeks I'll be on site working on another project for them. Truck should be in the warehouse so I can take a look.

Notarealsignguy

Maybe try Fixxon material. It's a material that I remember from a couple decades ago. Company went out of business but it seems Fixxon has resurrected the product. It's a non-magnetic magnet material replacement. I have a rectangle of it on my truck and it's been through the car wash at least once.

You may also want to try the micro-dot from BigFish. Did a couple temporary "door magnets" for a client. Was only supposed to last them until I could letter the doors. Guess what? Still haven't gotten the call.
Sometime in the next couple weeks I'll be on site working on another project for them. Truck should be in the warehouse so I can take a look.
I have a roll of the Fixxon material, I could send them a sample. I haven't seen the racking but would assume that it has been painted and the surface is probably not smooth. I'd go look at it but they're a few hours from here

Notarealsignguy

I used the stuff for covid window signs that a company would put up if they had to shut down a store. The instructions say keep the back clean and to put the liner back on them to store. That part right there kind of kills it because people aren't going to do that. It is pretty nice stuff and will stick to a car door. They would probably be better as a coverup for an HOA rather than using as a replacement for a magnet.

rjssigns

I'm curious how these have worked out for you. I have a customer wanting magnets to stick to their aluminum doors, tried some 6 month clean removal stuff, works as expected, but they want to debrand their vehicles nightly. What mechanism does the fixxon use to stay stuck?
I thought the microdot was paper based, non outdoor? I had one sample of it years back, wasn't very impressed, but then again aluminum trucks were still on the horizon...
Not sure how it works. I haven't had any client installs yet, just testing on the shop truck. So far it sticks better than magnets. May want to reach out to Fixxon and get a sample.

Notarealsignguy

Pulled from the magnum spec sheet:
View attachment 158255

If ya suspect it's layers of paint, it probably is, used to be a cantankerous basterd around here going by pant-e-quip or some silly such name, he'd know an awful lot about nominal paint thickness, but assuming its rolled on rustoleum, they could have between 1/8"-1/4" of paint built up. The simplest thing I'd imagine is selling a bunch of sheet metal squares, buy them pre cut, then slap double sided tape on them and mail them out.
There are a lot of cantankerous people around here. I have a gauge to measure mil thickness, it comes in handy.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh no, not this sh!t again.............................

1646842792098.png

47CP

Not sure if this helps, but we do a TON of magnetic letter/numbers for use on autocross and track cars. We use .030 magnum for everything. Assuming the surface is smooth and there is not a ton of bondo on the car, it will generally stay put up to ~70mph. People who use it on track at higher speeds have more issues and we generally recommend other products for them.

No matter the speed, if it is not put down flat on the surface and has any air gap, it will blow off. We have tested with .060 material and it does stick better but the profile is so high that it still blows off at speed anyway. Maybe not an issue for your application.

DaveW