• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

High school graduating banners with pictures

ExtremeG Alamosa

Hi All, Trying to make about 30 24"x51" banners for a school. Problem is the file sizes keep coming out huge. All of the pictures are ~1mb or less but the files are 10mb or more. I'm working in both Photoshop and Illustrator. Any ideas? Untitled2.png Untitled.png

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
That is what happens when you add things in the programs. If you are done editing the banners, save as your PDF or TIFF, but make sure to uncheck 'preserve editing capabilities'. This will flatten the image and save it with a lower file size. BE SURE TO SAVE AS A COPY and do no override your original, or you will have a bad time later.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Your file settings are for 300 dpi at 8 bit depth so even a file that size that is completely white would be around 315mb. No matter what you add to that file, it represents it at 300dpi even if the original image was only 72 dpi. You could significantly reduce file size if you go into the compression tab when saving the PDF and using JPEG compression. You don't even have to downsample. Just use the compression and the files size will drop dramatically.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Lower your resolution like Solventinkjet said. I would probably save them at 72 ppi unless I saw stepping in the diagnal or curved hardlines then I would up the resolution till everything printed smooth. Probably no more than 125 ppi.

JWitkowski

I know this isn't what was asked... but I would change the name text to read from the bottom up - bottom of letters parallel to the right side of the banner edge. The way they are in the image is pretty hard to read.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
heh heh, I'm actually working on some senior banners right now. And Yikes!
I guess Sr. pics aren't as important as they were when I was in school.

binki

We normally will save the supplied images at 50dpi or lower depending on the size of the banner. That will help a lot. Exporting or saving as a PDF without carrying fonts and other baggage will help as well.

binki

Your file settings are for 300 dpi at 8 bit depth so even a file that size that is completely white would be around 315mb. No matter what you add to that file, it represents it at 300dpi even if the original image was only 72 dpi. You could significantly reduce file size if you go into the compression tab when saving the PDF and using JPEG compression. You don't even have to downsample. Just use the compression and the files size will drop dramatically.
Good tip. We always run into issues with customer supplied images. They are never the correct size or ratio.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Wow, and some people around here think I am an @$$hole. Another blocked member.
Don't character judge that one comment. For me, it takes several posts that I want to ignore, and, they really have nothing to offer in other threads. Zero tolerance is unproductive though.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
what's wrong with 10mb files?
Yeah, that... I've regularly processed files a lot larger than that. Once had a file so large it literally took an hour and a half for an all SSD, 32GB RAM, dedicated-to-the-printers PC (that was otherwise idle during the process) to RIP a print file. 10mb is nothing.

netsol

When I started working with realtors shrinking pictures for web content there was no broadband. 56k dialup, we used advanced jpeg compressor. You grew old, waiting for a picture to load at 56k