• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hope this is the right category..........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, our company has some company policies in effect and one of the many, pertains to subs and other contractors must use and supply their own tools and we don't loan tools out to customers for various reasons.

However, I just had one and I had an answer, but the person didn't like it.

We have a part-timer who has been working full time for a long time. Basically, they are full time. Anyway, this person just came to me and asked which circular saw they could take home with them to use for cutting some stuff at home tonight ??

I said, uh..... none of them. Our tools are not rental and if you're not here in the shop or on the job, you can't use the tools. They are the business tools and the business owns them and are responsible for them, so we can't allow you to take anything like this home.
I'm not gonna lose it or break it and if I do, I'll pay for a new one.
I understand, but we can't do it.
Why ?? I told you, we can't.
Why ??
Most of all from a liability stand point.
Well, I went to college and studied law and there's no law that will hold you responsible if I do something stoopid.
Maybe not, but your lawyers will find a way. Sorry, but you can't take it home.
But I need it.
Sorry, but no.
STOMP.....STOMP.....STOMP.....STOMP..... p!ssing and moaning under their breath.

Later this person said, he won't let me take a frickin' saw home with me.

I peeked around the corner and said, yes, I know I won't. Who are you trying to convince otherwise ??

No, nothing, I just don't see why you won't let me have it ??

If it was a screw driver, hammer or something small, yes, but you have four children and how can I know for sure, one of them won't find it while you have it plugged in ??
They wouldn't do any such.........................
Wait.... wait.... wait....... you don't have one, so you have no idea what they will do around one. They range form 5 to 11. I will not accept the responsibility off my premises. The End.

How are any of you with loaning out tools or whatnot to your employees, if you have employees. If you don't, do you think I was out of line for not giving a little saw ??

C

ColoPrinthead

Our sub company had a few installers take my company's Rigid brand tools (from an office that had closed) home hoping to keep them (they like Rigid and their company tools are DeWalt). Their boss mentioned it to me and told me how they said the impact driver had been broken, so I told him to tell them I'd get it fixed. Surprise, when the tools were returned they all worked. These smart guys feel the world owes them since it's out to get them.

I don't own the business I work for and don't mind if someone who has been here over 15 years borrows something I don't use often, but they know they could face trouble if they don't tell me and I find out when I go to use the equipment only to find it is missing.

AnthonyRalano

Its your business not theirs. They work for you and I can understand minor disappointment, but blatant disrespect is too much. If I didn't have a sincere apology I would hope that they would go borrow someone else's circular saw.

Billct2

You have a policy and that's the end of it (as long as everyone is treated the same).
My policy is different, it's the same as every guy I ever worked for, if you want to borrow something,
just ask. No one has ever abused the privelage.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We loan our tools to trust worthy subs and employees when they need it, we are also a firm believer in allowing people to make their own choices. If they are willing to risk their safety on their own, off site and off the clock that's their decision.

Mosh

For the most part NO, but does depend on the employee. If one asks and does not act like it is their right to take something then YES. An enployee who acts like it is theirs to take without asking NO!!!!

Depends on the employees...Oh crap is this a race question, do you own a basketball team Gino?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
For the most part NO, but does depend on the employee. If one asks and does not act like it is their right to take something then YES. An enployee who acts like it is theirs to take without asking NO!!!!

Depends on the employees...Oh crap is this a race question, do you own a basketball team Gino?

:Big Laugh

We use one of these.
Little expensive to run but it keeps our paperclips & pens in the office where they belong.
No questions asked about taking anything home
(keep copies of the scans for future blackmail opportunities).

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• office exit.jpg
    office exit.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 84