• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Horizontal-vs-vertical panels

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Question on technique.
I need to wrap the red outlined areas of this bus
The space is about 38ft long by 75" high.
I've got a 54" printer so I will have to do at least 2 panels if I go horizontal.
The area to be covered looks pretty easy, smooth, no rivets & a nice break line for the 2 horizontal pieces.
(There are some engine grills on the other side but nothing I am worried about)
Horizontal would seem to be the best way to do this but....
I will be using the 180cV3 -w- 8518 lam and have not worked with it before.
The temp here during the install will be over 80 degrees and I don't know how aggressive it is going to tack up once the backing is gone.
Do I risk lining up one 38 foot long seam or go vertical and break it down into 8 or 9 easy to install 52" wide panels?
I will have at least one extra set of hands to help out.
I'm thinking the body break line will give me some wiggle room to hide registration errors that I can see happening with just 2 panels.
How soft n stretchy will a 40ft long panel be with the 180cv3/8518 combo?
Layout is full coverage with not much white and a good deal of dark blue in it.

I have installed a number of full coverage wraps on 40ft fuel tankers and flat panel box trucks - all of them with vertical panels 54" or less wide.
I know I can do it vertical but now that I can choose how to set up the panels I want to be smart about it and end up with a better looking final product.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• d-bus.jpg
    d-bus.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 139

grafixemporium

Hmmm... tough call... but I think I'd take the challenge and go for a virtually seamless install with 2 horizontal panels. It looks like you can use that break in the center for a natural seam. Or you could break it into 4 horizontal panels (2 on top and 2 on bottom) to make install a little easier and you'd end up with wayyy fewer seams than trying to do vertical panels. IMHO vertical panels would look much worse and be much more labor intensive to line up all those panels.

You said "over 80 degrees"... how much over? If the temp is 80 to 85 I think you'll be fine regardless of what you do.

jasonx

I'd go horizontal. I'd do the top section first.
The bottom section I'd break into smaller horizontal pieces to make it easier and allow for adjustments. On the bottom it looks like you have natural lines to make these joins.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'd go horizontal. I'd do the top section first.
The bottom section I'd break into smaller horizontal pieces to make it easier and allow for adjustments. On the bottom it looks like you have natural lines to make these joins.

Heh, good call.
After reading the replies I was just about to bring this idea up and saw your post as I started to type. The top section from the windows to the bar is only 30" and there is nothing in the way to make that hard even at 38ft.

Thanks all

wayne k
guam usa

jasonx

Tape the top piece into position every so often. Start from either side and fold the backing paper underneath the graphic. It will hold the vinyl off the vehicle. As you move along break where the tape is holding the graphic. The backing paper won't fall down either as it will be kept under the graphic. Once you get half way cut some of the backing paper that's folded underneath. You'll be able to do this on your own unless its windy.

cdiesel

Absolutely, 100% vertical.

The only time horizontal panels make sense is if you can do the whole thing in one whack. Registration is a nightmare with horizontal panels.. especially at 80 degrees.

jasonx

Chris, The way I'm seeing it is the bottom section you could apply basically like vertical panels. That's why I suggested it. You'd also have no seams on any solid panels.

SSG_SIGNS

The top section I would do as one horizontal and do the bottom like everyone is saying vertical and with the compartment doors like they are you shouldn't even have a single seam, you do panels for those, it's just like doing a chevy panel van with doors on the passenger side those are the panels, no seams.

Rooster

Will you get acceptable panel registration at 38' lengths?

How upset will you be if you ruin a 38' laminated panel during install?

I'd go vertical. Way more wiggle room if something goes wrong.