• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How can I instruct my customers...

warlind

...to save files that will import directly into flexi w/o being messed up????? We have a lot of files coming in from designers latetly that need a lot of work in AI and Photoshop. Also seem to be having a lot of trouble w/ PDF's lately. The pdf's we can sometimes import directly to P.M. and they will work but some still have missing effects. I prefer not to touch these files as you open up a can of worms when doing so if something gets messed up.

Thanks.:banghead:

wildside

only accept PDF's, AI, EPS, CDR that have all fonts converted and color profiles embedded if needed, all other problems are most likely on your end

schmitty

I think the reality is you need those other programs.

For AI stuff, you can ask your clients to convert the strokes to outlines and to merge like areas, then save as an early version of AI (8 or earlier).

Sometimes if I am having trouble with PDFs (assuming your trying to RIP them), I just go ahead and rasterize it inside photoshop, save as a TIFF and print away.

Good Luck!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I guess it will depend on your customer base. Do they know all the file formats?

Make a list of the files you can work with. If you don't wan to work with pdf's then don't list them.

If you have a web site, the explanations could be listed as to what is acceptable in what files. For instance; you want eps files to contain only vector files and all fonts should be converted to vectors.

thewood

I think the reality is you need those other programs.

For AI stuff, you can ask your clients to convert the strokes to outlines and to merge like areas, then save as an early version of AI (8 or earlier).

Sometimes if I am having trouble with PDFs (assuming your trying to RIP them), I just go ahead and rasterize it inside photoshop, save as a TIFF and print away.

Good Luck!

My advice exactly.

zmatalucci

tell them to flatten the .pdfs into .jpegs.. I have found that certain effects (outer glow) done in illustrator will not print correctly from flexi. I always must open in illy, and then flatten myself. Or, I print directly from versaworks, which doesn't seem to have the problems of flexi.

warlind

Thanks guys, I do have the whole creative suite from adobe, was just trying to get a standard "party line" to these guys so I wouldn't have to do this myself as it is time consuming (yes I know it is my job!) but also try to minimize errors. Output to JPG is always great untill you are doing 8 x 8 banners or something. Anyway thanks for the responses.:U Rock:

GK

Thanks guys, I do have the whole creative suite from adobe, was just trying to get a standard "party line" to these guys so I wouldn't have to do this myself as it is time consuming (yes I know it is my job!) but also try to minimize errors. Output to JPG is always great untill you are doing 8 x 8 banners or something. Anyway thanks for the responses.:U Rock:

Have them send you flattened PDF proofs or hard copy proofs before you print the jobs. As already stated Illustrator and Photoshop have the ability now to save as a PDF and stay editable in those programs so its not a flattened document any more, especially in Illustrator with 3D bevel effects, drop shadows, outer-glows, and gradient meshes. Other programs will open the PDF but will but read it properly because those effects are proprietary to Illustrator therefore the end result will be interpreted differently. I would definitely write up a basic set of guidelines for setting the files up for pre-press. It is only your job if you are getting paid for fixing all the files not opening properly. Most print companies and publishers have very standard guidelines and it cuts back on errors, why shouldn't you?