• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How conformable is window perf?

Haakon

Once in a blue moon customers come by wanting window perf on their work vans. Most every van is plain white over here, so just plain white perf is needed, no printing.

I haven't worked a great deal with this kind of vinyl, but it's nice to have vinyl in stock for when I need it. So when a customer asked a while back, I ordered a 30" wide roll of Oracal 3676 window perf.

I have a Toyota microvan as a shop vehicle, just got it, and the rear screen is curved a fair amount each way, so not the easiest to deal with. Good test area in other words. I laid the window perf on the rear window, and it came out great there and then. But over the weekend (the car has stood outside in rain and storm) it had drawn itself back some places and came loose from the surface.

Just wondering, is the curvature on the screen too much for the vinyl to handle? Or is it just my technique that needs improving? It was pretty easy to work with inside the shop (about 68F degrees), but would heating and postheating make a difference? I'm just testing the waters on my own car now, but good to know if a customer comes in with a similar car.

Attachments

• IMG_5199.jpg
    IMG_5199.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_5211.jpg
    IMG_5211.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 88

GVP

Doesn't look like you edge-sealed the edges - we find it essential on vehicles. Is the perf. laminated?

Haakon

Not edge sealed (yet). I do have a Rtape Sealitpen here though, so I can do that. Non laminated (no print/ink to protect).

I installed this dry.

MikePro

3M boasts their IJ8171 to be the "only cast perforated film on the market"
Orafol says nothing about cast/calendared, which leads me to believe that your material is calendared and is not intended for applying to anything but a flat surface.

rjssigns

With compound curves like that I use a touch of heat and take my time. In some instances it may help to preheat, let cool, then apply.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Apply about a half inch strip of primer around the edge of the glass before installing perf...... we have always done it this way and our perf always seems to last for a few years with no problem.

Desert_Signs

I can't say I've ever had perf lift like that. I don't use edge seal. I never laminate it. I've done some pretty extreme curves.

How did you clean the glass? What did you use?

Mosh

+lam, even unprinted. a little heat is needed to set, even if it layed good to start. As far as the edges, never had a problem, I don't seal or do anything special.