• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I attach a large wooden sign to building?

Chris Keena

I don't think so. It's obvious you are proving my point. You're too bored at work with nothing to do so you're spending all your time complaining on the internet. Keep up the good work. And the guy who posted this thread explained he is a sign painter, not a sign maker, looking for advice. You took that opportunity to bitch and complain about how your kids can do it. Stop your complaining and go sweep up the floor. Stop acting like an asshole on the internet. Nobody likes an asshole.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wow !!! That's pretty neat. You're sounding like the new order..... Populist.

So, if I have this straight, you are rubbing notareal's face in the dirt, for doing EXACTLY what you're doing ?? Why is it alright for you and not him ?? Besides, he gave quite a bit of information. So did I and so did lotsa others. However, the OP doesn't seem to want it or need it as he tossed it all aside in post #9. He's already said he's gonna wing it. To me, that is not a real sign painter, sign maker or businessperson. That sir/ma'am..... is a frickin' hack. Yet, you wanna defend the hack. Why is that ?? Do you identify with the hack ?? Oh yeah, that's right.... everyone hasta start somewhere, so let's just put some boards up on a wall haphazardly and hope for the best. You..... and the OP are the reasons this industry is needing so many codes, rules and laws coming into the field. You're hacks.

I don't think so. It's obvious you are proving my point. You're too bored at work with nothing to do so you're spending all your time complaining on the internet. Keep up the good work. And the guy who posted this thread explained he is a sign painter, not a sign maker, looking for advice. You took that opportunity to bitch and complain about how your kids can do it. Stop your complaining and go sweep up the floor. Stop acting like an ******* on the internet. Nobody likes an *******.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hahaaa........ for me, I'm watching the flatbed print and the roland print and doing some layouts and mockups for various customers, so it's r-e-a-l easy for me to watch this sh!t unravel. Anymore questions ??

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't think so. It's obvious you are proving my point. You're too bored at work with nothing to do so you're spending all your time complaining on the internet. Keep up the good work. And the guy who posted this thread explained he is a sign painter, not a sign maker, looking for advice. You took that opportunity to bitch and complain about how your kids can do it. Stop your complaining and go sweep up the floor. Stop acting like an ******* on the internet. Nobody likes an *******.
Bet I do more work in a day than you do in a month but thanks for the girly commands and assumptions. I'm not complaining about shlt except for the fact that I'm wasting my time engaging with a retard now. Nobody helped the guy besides tell him to hire a professional installer, so I did after the smarter guys around here never stepped in. The guy cant figure out screws and you are too dumb to see the absurdity in that as well as the others making a mountain out of a mole hill. I don't care if he's a sign painter, sign maker or susie homemaker, it's something that most would consider common sense.

Taryn

I was under the impression that notarealsignguy's flair was sarcasm? Unless i'm just misunderstanding internet tones again.

From what I'm able to gather though, chris keena is crabby that notarealsignguy was annoyed that a sign painter (interpreting as a sign maker, as he's creating a sign by painting it regardless of medium (substrate? The proper word for the surface the sign's going on)) was going to do a sign install really cheaply because the end client didn't want to put in the effort and money to do a rather large sign the right way in a plaza, where I also assume people will be, or hire someone to install the sign in a proper way.
Gonna be honest here, I would be pretty annoyed if I gave good advice and had other other person fixate on just the temporary part of the solution. I can't imagine how THAT would ever not go well in the location given. :|
Even if the plywood isn't going to be thick, a single 6'x2' or 8'x1' piece is still going to be a bit heavy even for absolutely coating the back side with duct tape and hope. That type of install hasn't stopped things from falling on me though. I'd say that decking screws like notarealsignguy talked about would be a good idea for that type of install, especially if you were able to paint them to match or blend into the sign.

Anyway, I don't think I've got anything useful to contribute and feel like I'm missing something important so I'll shut up now. :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
1648748191075.png

Notarealsignguy

I was under the impression that notarealsignguy's flair was sarcasm? Unless i'm just misunderstanding internet tones again.

From what I'm able to gather though, chris keena is crabby that notarealsignguy was annoyed that a sign painter (interpreting as a sign maker, as he's creating a sign by painting it regardless of medium (substrate? The proper word for the surface the sign's going on)) was going to do a sign install really cheaply because the end client didn't want to put in the effort and money to do a rather large sign the right way in a plaza, where I also assume people will be, or hire someone to install the sign in a proper way.
Gonna be honest here, I would be pretty annoyed if I gave good advice and had other other person fixate on just the temporary part of the solution. I can't imagine how THAT would ever not go well in the location given. :|
Even if the plywood isn't going to be thick, a single 6'x2' or 8'x1' piece is still going to be a bit heavy even for absolutely coating the back side with duct tape and hope. That type of install hasn't stopped things from falling on me though. I'd say that decking screws like notarealsignguy talked about would be a good idea for that type of install, especially if you were able to paint them to match or blend into the sign.

Anyway, I don't think I've got anything useful to contribute and feel like I'm missing something important so I'll shut up now. :)
Yes exactly, the Duct tape and liquid nails was sarcasm. The answer was screw into the wood behind it but the stupid post goes off the rails when everyone started puffing their chests about needing a professional to screw plywood to a wall, a site survey, bucket trucks and all that crap. I couldn't care less how the guy makes the sign, that's none of my business. He's making a cheap sign for a cheap person, that's not exactly a new concept around here. Now I need to go sweep the floors, they're getting dirty.

Scotchbrite

No comment
Yes exactly, the Duct tape and liquid nails was sarcasm. The answer was screw into the wood behind it but the stupid post goes off the rails when everyone started puffing their chests about needing a professional to screw plywood to a wall, a site survey, bucket trucks and all that crap. I couldn't care less how the guy makes the sign, that's none of my business. He's making a cheap sign for a cheap person, that's not exactly a new concept around here. Now I need to go sweep the floors, they're getting dirty.
What about a permit, you forgot to mention that. :tongue:

Notarealsignguy

What about a permit, you forgot to mention that. :tongue:
Oh yeah good catch, not only is my day slow, apparently my head is too. Might as well throw some engineering in there, stamped prints and a site plan. You will probably need a certificate of approval from the plywood manufacturer for your permit package also.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
At work there are two of us with dish washer licences. Every other lazy ****** leaves cups and dishes lying around.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
It makes them a target for a quote board, and given how lazy some are, an easy target.

I need justification for a framing gun.