• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do I attack this sign?

Rebel Graphics

This customer has a wooden sign that would like to convert to aluminum and cut vinyl. Any suggestions on sheet thickness and how to build a frame for it? Newbie here :(
(RPM sign below) trying to do this right and cost effective so I can get the other business with same crappy signs
attachment.php

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 159

rossmosh

I probably shouldn't comment because it's not really my forte, but 3mm ACM should do the job just fine.

The trick with these types of signs is the hanging. Generally speaking, signs are decoration, not structure. Keep that in mind.

ams

I recommend 0.80 Aluminum or .125 Aluminum. However if they want to stick with a 1/2" look and feel. Go with Lusterboard. It's 1/2" exterior grade wood in the middle with aluminum on the outside. Plus you put plastic trim on the edging which protects and seals the wood in, giving it a long lasting effect. Good for 10 - 15 years.

wes70

I would go with 6mm acm. This would add some additional weight compared to 3mm and help with wind resistance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Not sure of the size, but 10mm ACM should do the trick. No need for a frame, unless you wanna get into a lotta extra costs. Use 2 really good sign brackets and maybe find some you can use two bolts and nuts for each one to make sure there's no play in movement when swinging around up there. You could also attach a small chain to the main pole and the bottom area of your sign to help prevent extensive blowing around.

I would not consider using .080 or .125 as that would be too heavy for such an application at those sizes and only hanging at the top. Too dangerous. If for any reason, that would let go, you'd either decapitate someone or give them a dent in their head that just won't go away.

OldPaint

such CRAP........did they pay to have those made???hahahahahahahaha
looking at the signage on the building........you got a lot of signs to REDO))))
cost and simplicity...........10mm alumi panel cut to size. i guessing there is lettering on both sides of each of those signs.
your looking at at least 2 4 X 8 sheets @ $100 each.....to do all the signs on that post............WHICH YOU HAVE TO DO........ if you do 1 of em))))i would go to each shop, tell them what your doing for RPM. and let them know you can make a better for all with a 4 sign package)))))) this way you get more business, the signs will look so much better.....and since your doing all 4.........WILL LOOK CONSISTENT......
guessing the rpm sign is a 4' X 4' double sided, $100 in material, bout $250.00. adding the other 3 signs, take off bout $30-40 on this sign.............i think FELLERS or GIMCO sell the hanging straps for 10mm alumicore.

Billct2

OK, I'll be the contrarian.
First I can't tell how that sign is hung on the top, it looks like two welded tabs on the arm
and then a tab on the top of the sign? Or is it swinging?
If it's solid mounted I would go with the 10mm ACM and put a couple solid fasteners on the side/bottom too.
But if it swinging I would use something heavy like 3/4" MDO painted or with 040 aluminum faces.
And thru bolted sign hangers. And let it swing. This is assuming the arm and mounts are solid.
A swinging sign should be allowed to move as intended, and it should be heavy enough to not flap around in the wind.

Rebel Graphics

Thank you guys for all the great feedback. Im meeting up with the owner tomorrow, im bringing a mockup for a more professional presentation

signbrad

I frequently use 1-inch aluminum square tube for an internal frame. I then skin it with panels front and back using Lord adhesive. I like .063" aluminum for the skins, but .080" would add some weight if desired. Aluminum composite faces could be a cheaper version.
The advantage to this construction is there are no fasteners through the faces. It's a clean look.

A small amount of adhesive on the inner nut and washer will make the eye bolt permanent. The gussets on the inside corners are cut sections of aluminum angle, and can be screwed and glued, or just glued.
I can make a sign like this very quickly. It can be welded together, but there's no need unless time is a huge issue, in which case you can weld the corners and use VHB to adhere the skins.
I use unfinished aluminum, then prime and paint the entire thing.
I use no more than one link to hang, minimizing side to side movement.

An additional frame of square, or rectangular, tube can be added to the outside perimeter to hide edges. At added expense, of course.

attachment.php

Brad in Kansas City

Attachments

• frame and eye bolt02.jpg
    frame and eye bolt02.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 96
T

TonyC

What Brad said. I usually use steel square tube but aluminum would work if thick enough wall.

Rebel Graphics

More Info

Indeed is a 4x4 sign, double sided, it is currently on a square pole. It does not swing (maybe due to all the rust, lol).
Can anyone one post a picture or a link for the required hanging hardware for this? I see a bunch of straps and hardware for round poles only
Thanks

T

TonyC

If you build a square tube frame and use 2 single sided faces you can mount eye bolts into the sign frame. Also mount eye bolts into the structure arm and use chain quick links for joining.

I don't believe I would trust a sign that size not being allowed to swing freely from just 2 mounting points.

player

I never make swinging signs. I might make them look like they can swing, but they are fixed. High winds can make trouble.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Scrap that whole thing and propose a new monument sign of some type. Swingers are stupid.

Solid Retail

DiBond

I would suggest printing directly to single side 3mm or 4mm Dibond material. Print 2 of the and adhere with 3M Adhesive, to each side of the existing sign. the build a frame using metal to cove the entire perimeter. Most wholesale printers have the capability to print directly to to this material. It is very cost effective and lasts Dibond® is the industry's leading aluminum composite material (ACM) for more than 15 years. It is comprised of two pre-painted sheets of .012" aluminum with a solid polyethylene core. Made In USA.

Here is the kink to review it:
http://graphicdisplayusa.com/products/dibond/

TXFB.INS

would offer them 3 pricing options

1. like Brad suggested hidden frame with 2 substrates

2. same frame and construction, except only use 1 skin, finished would look like the "hospital" sign seeing the frame on one side

3. no frame, using the sign substrate only

Rebel Graphics

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK!!! cant say it loud enough,lol

Well guys the frame and two panels will be the way to go... Customer approved!!!!!

And on a different note, the neighbor liked the idea and needed a quote on this:

attachment.php

It will be 3 signs 4x4 and a 4x8, He also requested vinyl because they have had bad experience with printed signs in the past (building gets hit by Florida sun all day), and they said those vinyl signs have endured through time. Can anyone PM me a rough estimate on this and preferred vinyl for this????

Finally building a portfolio :thumb:

Attachments

• one-stop-mockup2.jpg
    one-stop-mockup2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 137