• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Do I Explain Files To Customers

G-Artist

It gets even more complicated when you tell them to "covert to curves" or "embed" the font.

I never mention EPS as you never know what version you will get nor what is in it. It is bad enough that an AI or CDR will contain both vector and raster at times even if it is made to size.

joeutut

At least I am having a good time reading the posts and I did get some great ideas on how to simplify the explaination.
Thanks

S

scarface

you say look, your going to pay me to re-design this for you and stop being a PITA

LOL

we've discussed this topic many times over the past years so it may be worth searching the past discussions for other perspectives and past answers.

as i have said in the past, it is so rare to receive acceptable artwork from those within the industry that i have pretty much given up on thinking that those outside of the trades will be able to provide anything useable that i ask them for what they have and then just charge them accordingly to create what i need...it is just a better use of my time than trying to explain it.

vector and raster images are not complicated items to explain it is just that most clients are not interested and really have no reason to be interested. i am at the point where my time is too valuable to be having long drawn out conversations explaining information the client is interested in only because they are trying to save a couple bucks only to still provide garbage after explaining in detail what i need and why.

my suggestion is that you have a print out of acceptable artwork guidelines as well as a page on your website explaining the concepts and challenges and direct the client there or hand them your form on artwork guidelines along with a breakdown of your art charges.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
we've discussed this topic many times over the past years so it may be worth searching the past discussions for other perspectives and past answers.

as i have said in the past, it is so rare to receive acceptable artwork from those within the industry that i have pretty much given up on thinking that those outside of the trades will be able to provide anything useable that i ask them for what they have and then just charge them accordingly to create what i need...it is just a better use of my time than trying to explain it.

vector and raster images are not complicated items to explain it is just that most clients are not interested and really have no reason to be interested. i am at the point where my time is too valuable to be having long drawn out conversations explaining information the client is interested in only because they are trying to save a couple bucks only to still provide garbage after explaining in detail what i need and why.

my suggestion is that you have a print out of acceptable artwork guidelines as well as a page on your website explaining the concepts and challenges and direct the client there or hand them your form on artwork guidelines along with a breakdown of your art charges.

Thanks Dan for putting it so eloquently

jiarby

Dan's right, the customer doesn't know the difference and doesn't NEED to know the difference. When you tell them they have to pay they often can miraculously find the
vector file. They are very quick to send you a JPG or PNG because that is what THEY use. They think that is the logo. I ask them for the file that was used to CREATE the jpg or pay the fee. They will dig deeper to save a few bucks.

Also, give them a flier with your art requirements:

Recommended For Best Results:

Vector Files such as .AI .CDR .EPS
All embedded bitmaps must be 300dpi at finished dimensions
Any bitmaps must converted to CMYK.
All colors must be CMYK. RGB and Pantone colors may incur an additional fee.
All fonts & text must be converted to curves/outlines.

Additional File Conversion Charges May Apply:
.PDF .TIF .JPG .BMP .PDS .INDD .PNG (etc...)

Art conversion & layout design charges are $xx/hr, billed in 1/2 hr increments. An estimate will be given upon receipt of your art.

just another thought because i have been having a similar discussion with many of my clients recently. when you are creating artwork requirements or trying to come up with a way to describe what you need from your clients use words and descriptions that they understand.

the majority of the time Bob the Baker is not going to know what we mean by pixel, converted to curves, bezier tool, etc. which are all words and phrases that i have seen recently from sign companies trying to communicate with their clients in regards to artwork requirements.

if you are going to have these discussions (and you already know my philosophy on it..doesn't mean that it is the right philosophy it is just how i choose to deal with the issue) but if you are going to educate your client you have to find a common language, you have to use words, descriptions and scenarios that they understand.

if you do not the majority of customers will still shake their head and make you think that they understand only to find out when they submit their art they still didn't understand..nothing gained, more frustration for everyone.

make it easy for your clients to do business with you...but make sure you charge them for it as well ;)

thewood

Regarding the Soccer Taco....there is a Mexican restaurant/Sports bar near me called Soccer Taco. And it is awesome. Everything you would want from a sports bar, plus good Mexican food.

I don't feel too bad pirating this thread, as this topic has been beat to death on this forum.

:thread

high impact

A Soccer Taco? ROFLOL!!! Are you serious?

Dude! If any of my customers artwork smelled like my boys socks after playing soccer or like flatulence the day after eating tacos I'd install garage doors too! (private jke LOL)

Rooster

Wikipedia has a nice little explanation of vector art on their site.

I just email the link to my clients if I get the old "what's a vector?" reply.

If they're at my office I just show them on the computer. Blow up a jpeg to 600% in photoshop and then blow up a vector @ 1800%.