• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you adhere Alumacor or Coroplast to Plywood?

mjohnsonsa

We need to make some temporary road-side signage for an event. We are going to print 4ft x 8ft graphics on vinyl using HP Latex and then adhere them to either ACM or Coroplast... Do you all have tips on adhering the ACM or Coro to Plywood or OSB? I wasn't sure if it would be better to use something that rolls on or that you squeeze on (like liquid nails). Any tips would be appreciated!

Matt

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Fasteners would be what I'd use. If you used 6mm you likely don't need the plywood backer. If you use adhesive, I guess I'd trust something with some thickness and flexibility to it, rather than something you roll.

netsol

texas signmaker is tight, nothing wrong with a few fasteners
we have short deck screws & fender washers painted to "normal" colors (black, white, red, blue, green, brown, etc) . choose a solid colored area on your print. strengthens your liquid nails, construction adhesive or whatever

mjohnsonsa

why not just lay prints on 10mil pvc or 1/4" acm to begin with. cut out a lot of work for you

I am afraid it would be too light and flimsy for that large of a sign and the wind would cause it to buckle. However, if a wood frame was made behind it then that actually is a good idea but I would have to see if it would be worth the time to make a wood frame. Thanks.

SeeEmWhyKay

Print Plug & Pigment Procurer
I am afraid it would be too light and flimsy for that large of a sign and the wind would cause it to buckle. However, if a wood frame was made behind it then that actually is a good idea but I would have to see if it would be worth the time to make a wood frame. Thanks.

If it's available in your area- I use 10mm Coroplast often in place of MDO for site/ political signage faces with great results. I get a couple of 2x4" stringers across the back to support it if need be and it's a done deal. Granted the posts are painted and the auger doesn't hit hardpan it's a 30 minute install with 2 gents. Best of luck with your project!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If things are too expensive, why waste YOUR time building frames and whatnot outta cheap substrates ?? They either pay for what they want and you give it to them.... or they pay extra for your extra time. Building frames to support a cheap Cor-X sign is ludicrous, just because they don't wanna spend any money. How much time do you already have invested trying to figure this out ??

visual800

2-2x4s behind this would sufficewould suffice, better yet i would use 10mil coro. cheap as hell easy to install