• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you deal with vistaprint customers?

Signs Express

This is the second occasion I've had someone who has used Vistaprint in the past come into our shop and be baffled why were SO expensive.

The first one wanted full color business cards... We gave them a quote and then they say, "Wow! Those are pricey. We can get free ones from Vista." Did they really think I was going to give them free fulll color business cards? The second one came in today... Quoted him a set of full color magnets. Apparently I'm "like triple what Vista is."

I don't know what the actually quality is of what these people are getting, but has anyone else had to deal with this and what did you tell them?

Mosh

We sell full color biz cards for $50 per 1000 cards. We get them printed at gotprint.com. Price does NOT include artwork setup. Great quality. Sign of the times, do it for the price, or do something else.

GregT

I had a Vistaprint guy fuss today because we were just over double the price on banners. He needed them for this weekend, I informed him that I would not meet there prices, asked if they could have them for him by the weekend, his reply was NO. Then told him my prices had just gone up. :0

tomnln9

I was actually reselling vistaprint products for a while, made some money on the jobs but they were horrible to deal with. Shipping on all of the products was slow, color/quality was often very poor. Tell the customer that if they want an off the shelf "big box store" product then go ahead but if they want a professionally designed piece of work then they are in the right place. Also, by the time you paid for shipping, upload fees, and all the other misellaneous bs. the prices werent quite as attractive as the first 500 free ones were.

stickygraphics12

I have had people come in that used them and I tell them my prices and if they aren't happy I say thanks for stoppin in and they ever need anything to give me a call. I have had 3 customers come in with decals printed on clear and they are cut into a square and it looks TERRIBLE and has bubbles all over it.

It goes back to the old saying.....you get what you pay for!

copythat

Be honest with them, dont hold back!!!!!!

I've converted 2 customers after telling them why do they feel like they are saving any money when all your really doing is providing revenue to a BILLION Dollar operation which don't care who you are what you are except what type of credit card you are using! You can touch me, hold a conversation and best of all have some humor with our service. Both clients are still with me.

I'll never forget what one of them told me.
I've never looked at it that way, and went on and thank me. By the way, he has spent over $400 in the last month with us.

I don't know or care how much Vista charged but I charge

$40 - 250
$55 - 500
$70 - 1000

Two hour service with VALUE & SERVICE!

Be Blunt and explained the real reality of all our future if they continue down this road!!!

Tommy

Keep Big Internet Corporations from taking mom & pop businesses away!

saktrnch

I've used Vista before. About $5.00 shipping for 250 cards, and I think they limit how many times you can order in a year. You have to agree for them to put their name and website on the back, but it's pretty small and doesn't grab too much attention. And it's not custom design, just use one of their templates and fill in the blanks.

Idea Design

I've only ever seen one card out of a set from Vista. It was an obnoxious full color american flag on the front with black Times typeset in it, and on the back one single full line of text that read:

Business Cards at vistaprint are free!

Horrible way to advertise your business if you ask me. As has been said, you get what you pay for.

I know Rick and some others here have strong feelings about the generic nature of the cards printed by 4over and the other wholesalers that many of us here use, but if you can get one of the free cards from vista and compare them in person to one on 16pt stock with full UV from 4over, most of the time that is a major selling point for us.

People around here, unlike southern California (where Rick is located), are so entrenched in the normal dreck that gets put out that a simple 4over business card is a major selling point for us. We've attained lots of upsell work from business cards.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "free" cards from this company come with THEIR name printed on the back side.

Isn't that akin to the perforated edges on the cards you run through the inkjet or laser printer?

I don't know about you, but I have a "bad" habit of checking the edges of business cards (I receive from others) for perfs. Likewise, I also check the backsides.

On a similar note, the first time my "free" web page showed a banner sponsoring breast self-exam* information, I pulled my account and dropped the change for my own domain. (* Please, don't get me wrong...there is a place for this kind of important, and very much needed information...but just not on my home page.)

The moral of the story: There are some things you just don't skimp on...especially when it is your business image.

Jim

Last edited:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
yes they have their name and domain and even the logo on the back.

the cards are thin and I believe you still have to pay for shipping of around $6 then they ship via USPS. So I'm pretty sure they are making a profit even on these "free" cards. I'm sure the real game is upping the "free" card during the initial sale but they still make a little bit without it.

I've seen a lot of non-profit groups giving out these cards.

signgal

I've had similar experiences to stickygraphics and treat it like copythat... I explain to the customer that I have been here for 10 years and am quite established in the community. I can offer many other services and enjoy connecting businesses to businesses. The service we provide can not be purchased for any price but if that is not what's important to them, then they should get their cheap signs and "free" cards and if they need anything in the future to come back and see me. *smiles*

steve b

Don't let your customers fool ya. I ordered some for the Wife from Vista. 1000 cards came to about $90 by the time they shipped. Colors are way off. They thru in a pack of printed posted notes that were aweful...The logo didn't fit, but they printed and shipped anyway.

Rodi

That is a low ballers dream, they catch the cheapskate with free and keep adding it up until its more than a good competitive print job.

But what you have to really ask them, is, do you really want a business card that your competitor can copy exactly? Is it worth it then?

Pat Whatley

I've used Vista before. About $5.00 shipping for 250 cards, and I think they limit how many times you can order in a year. You have to agree for them to put their name and website on the back, but it's pretty small and doesn't grab too much attention

You're not seriously selling business cards with the Vistacrap info on them are you? Or even worse, using them for yourself? Is $14 for 1000 cards just blowing the old budget or something?

The cheap, whiny customer is why I got out of the business card business and only do reprints now. I make signs, I'm not a dang copy shop.

mark in tx

Ask them, "Is having Vistaprint.com on the back of your card giving you a professional image?"

People forget that having a business card means you are a professional, you are a step above.
Does the cashier at wally world have a business card?

It's your own fault if you devalue a business card with crappy design, crappy product, and crappy prices.

Typestries

$180 for 1000 cards here. Sure, we dont sell nearly as many as we used to. But the clients that do buy them get one hell of a design for that price that results in a truly professional first impression.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We charge $99/1000... and I could care less if I sell any or not. I am not a business card company - I am a sign shop...

When I do get cards, I order locally and use BCE... Even the #100 Classic Linen embossed-exact-color-match cards with the .25 pt outline on the emboss came back beautifully from them.

signmeup

Ask them what trade they are in. Tell them you want a free one of whatever they're peddeling with their business name on the back. Hopefully they sell big TVs or cars, or beer.

300mphGraphics

Vista is what it is. What recently pissed me off was a stylist at a hair salon wanting the artwork file we designed for them so she could order her own cards from them. _____ off..