• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you help customers will low budgets out?

kage

This Happens ALL the time here. Most of the time it's with wraps.
I ask the customer if they have a buget they'd like to stay with in once i tell them the full wrap price. they tell me, and i design to that budget. I know how much Vinyl will be used, and how it will be priced.

In your case tell them they may not be able to get 100 yard signs.. but only 30.
and suggest making their sign a bit smaller, or using cheaper material. Give your customer options. Doing this will result in so much more repeat business.

Thats good advice...esp for a startup with limited cash. I go with clipart and arial fonts :) when I can...Ive also traded for their services. Had a guy that runs an adventure outfit, Limited funds for signage so I helped him out and in return had a nice weekend gold panning with him and a friend I brought along.

mark galoob

you know, it just amazes me that anybody would consider starting a business and not consider a sign...i had one the other day. so cheap all she wanted was a window vinyl on the door. i told her straight up that she would fail...there is just no way to do that without a sign...

so many business fail because of stupid crap like this...a friend of mine once said...your either gonna stay on the porch and piss with the pups, or get off the porch and hang with the hounds...

mark galoob

CentralSigns

Doesn't anyone offer short term financing at all. We do. Don't care if I get all the money at once or over several months. It all spend same. Default means construction lean on property.

Last edited:

Custom_Grafx

i remember i had a customer who wanted "sale" signs custom made, but on a budget. i was open and honest, and proved to them im not just interested in taking money from people (even though that's the big picture). I googled some generic sale signs which are sold online for around 100$ for a huge pack of 20 or something.

He ordered those and was really happy, he got them the next day, and he had what he wanted.

He then started coming to me later, coz while he was at my place, he noticed I did other stuff and he kept me in mind for my honesty and help.

On the other hand, I have had 'gut feelings' about certain other clients, who I have pretty much told where to go very bluntly, very quickly.

In my opinion and experience, it's a 'grey' area - and it's important to not be black and white about it, but to feel the situation and react accordingly. There are no solid rules on this I believe and it's hard to debate either way as there are so many factors which contribute to your final decision.

Just think about it, chew it over, and if you don't feel right about it, don't do it. I don't know if you guys have a canned tuna brand in the states called John West, but I apply their motto to our industry sometimes. Their motto is "it's the fish that john west rejects, that makes him the best", i say, "it's the jobs we reject, that make us the money".

good luck, i hope you don't get burnt.

andy

Most sign buyers won't tell you how much they are prepared to spend because they think they're going to get ripped off... they assume you'll inflate your price to fill whatever budget they reveal.

This is the one aspect of this trade I REALLY hate... playing frickin price "peek a boo". If you are a sign buyer tell your supplier how much you've got to play with from the go get... it'll save hours of wasted time for everyone.

signmeup

Most sign buyers won't tell you how much they are prepared to spend because they think they're going to get ripped off... they assume you'll inflate your price to fill whatever budget they reveal.
That's it exactly! :notworthy:

You ask their budget and they won't tell you because they're afraid you will spend their budget! Well duh! I can't believe how stupid people are. If you don't want to spend some amount, figure out some amount you do want to spend and tell me that! All they have to say is,"What can I get for $xx?"

I still ask, "What's your budget for this project?", but I don't expect an answer. I'm hopeful that someone will respond with an actual number someday so I keep asking. It's been 6 years......

I think it boils down to trust. They think you will charge the budget and not deliver that value in signs. If you don't trust me, don't hire me.

Jillbeans

I hate asking the dreaded budget question too and try to avoid it.
You can't always tell by appearances either.
I've had the rattiest looking customers pull up in a rustbucket and not quibble about what I charge then pay cash in advance.
Usually it's the yuppies in the beamers who act like you're asking for their firstborn and their left testicle.
The price peek-a-boo is a very accurate description. Thanks Andy for the new term.

Craig Sjoquist

Billct2 has the right attitude... and does many others just didn't read all of them,

You offer the best plan that should work well for them, it's way out of there budget and you keep braking it down till you have sold the job and they stay in business, we are in business for our community's and the people that live and work.

Obviously we need to earn a good living, not everyone of us can sell to the ones that have money or to the ones that know the value of advertising.

Once you find the budget of whatever signage they can afford you build up from there, many times I'll do window splash advertising on stores and come back for more permanent weeks or months later.

I'm part of our customers sales team that's how I work, as a TEAM member of the community.

J

john1

Just because i haven't returned to the thread doesn't mean anything. I have been busy, I thought that was a good thing?

Plus I'm putting together ideas from what you guys have said...

royster13

I have wasted too much time over the years trying to "guess" what client's budgets are....So now for the most part if they do not provide some kind of budget to work with I send them away...Not as hard on established clients as new clients...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
here is a real life example taken from an email conversation 5 minutes ago from an established client.

THEM
Dave can you clarify if this is 4 separate signs or if this is just one
giant piece of vinyl with the signs printed right on it?

What we want is just the 4 separate signs which maybe why **** thought the
price would be much lower.

ME
they are 4 separate signs.

the break down is :

18" x 30" photo - $***
18" x 30" photo - $***
40" x 40" logo - $***
40" x 30" text panel - $***

You can make them smaller, but the overall look of the display will lose
it's design. This price is much lower than displays I have done in the past.
Usually when I fill up a trade show backer with this much signage it's
around $****. If you want it to look professional, you gotta do it right.

THEM

OK let's go ahead and print this as you have it laid out below. Thanks for
all your help!

Let me know anything else you need

I guess i did help him...... to understand how to do it right!

iSign

That's it exactly! :notworthy:

You ask their budget and they won't tell you because they're afraid you will spend their budget! Well duh! I can't believe how stupid people are. If you don't want to spend some amount, figure out some amount you do want to spend and tell me that! All they have to say is,"What can I get for $xx?"

I still ask, "What's your budget for this project?", but I don't expect an answer. I'm hopeful that someone will respond with an actual number someday so I keep asking. It's been 6 years......

I think it boils down to trust. They think you will charge the budget and not deliver that value in signs. If you don't trust me, don't hire me.

I know I've told this story a time or two.. but it's so great... here goes again...
Dan Antonelli had mentioned the greatest "trick" for that in a seminar I attended at the USSC show 5 or 6 years back...

... he described those all too familiar paranoid people who stiffen up & clam up at the suggestion they offer a budget... so if Dan's thinking this might be a $1500 to $2000 job... and they clam up at the budget question... he just keeps on talking, and says, ok fine, well just for example, let's SAY your budget were $2500, then we could do such & such... and they practically trip over themselves rushing to blurt out NO!!! we can't possible go over $1700... :Big Laugh

...so Dan says "Great" ..now we got a number!! :thumb:

J

john1

No worries Pat, I just didn't want anyone thinking i didn't appreciate the fine help in the thread since i haven't posted back. Just trying to get ideas from you guys and keep things rolling around here.

Was waiting on 5 deposits this week and i narrowed it down to waiting on just 2 now. Man you have to follow up day after day on some customers when they say "I'll send the check out" and never do.

mikey-Oh

No worries Pat, I just didn't want anyone thinking i didn't appreciate the fine help in the thread since i haven't posted back. Just trying to get ideas from you guys and keep things rolling around here.

Was waiting on 5 deposits this week and i narrowed it down to waiting on just 2 now. Man you have to follow up day after day on some customers when they say "I'll send the check out" and never do.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this, but I worry about you sometimes john1. Read many posts and honestly, it's a lesson in NOT to handle the business. Most times, I'm just left wondering.... Yet I believe in you mang! Stay strong bro!
m. bloodbath

designflow

ddarlak couldnt have said it any better!! Just last week I had to let 4 people have it when they asked for a deal. Its always 1 of 2 first they tell you how much money they had to put in to the company to get things going and they cant spend to much on the signs or 2 they say "I know alot of people, Ill keep you busy if you take care of me"
ummm BIG FAT "NO" Thats when I walk away...
This is how things happen, you may say that your all set to this 1 client now, but your going to have 2-3 new clients that will not have a problem playing you for your services.

GraphixUnlimited

Deal with this all the time... always a good time!

It usually goes one of two ways.

Customer comes in requesting all these great things and then at the end says they only have $1000 for everything which usually is biz cards, vehicle advertising, a sign and some brochures. Obviously I cannot provide a whole lot for $1000 bucks given the size of the list. We will start to work out what we CAN offer them though in that $1000 dollar range ( im just using an example price here people ). Alot of times it means we do the cards and a back window graphic on their car for now plus a simplistic ( but still nice ) sign for their biz. As time goes on and they grow so to does their signage needs and budget.

Option 2 is they come in and are very upfront with what they have to spend. We skip all the lofty expectations of what can be done only to be brought down to earth by the all mighty dollar. I like these customers even if they have little money. They re honest with what they can spend and understand the costs involved even if they cannot afford it. We always work to provide the client with something substantial that can in turn create more business for them.

Oh there is an option 3... give them a price, they leave... cant please everyone. :)

Last edited: