• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question how do you store substrates?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just recently installed an overhead storage rack that raises to the ceiling when we don’t need it. When we need sheet stock it uses a remote and drops to the floor. I installed it right behind out flatbed printer so sheets can be dragged right from the rack onto the table and then sent back to the ceiling or kept there for continuous feeding. This one was test and it went well, I plan on installing 5-6 more in the near future and free up all available floor space. I highly recommend something like this.
You need to mow your wall....

Mr. Signboy

The first shop I ever worked in had been an old sign & glass company. Naturally everything was stored vertical, except for the thousands of old pounce patterns. They were above the layout tables in a chicken wire cage.. Sorry these are the best pics have of this rack. The rack only has a 4'x8' footprint and was 9' tall. Because it wasn't against the wall, it would hold 10' pieces and even 12' in a pinch. Maybe not great for a high volume shop, but I've always been a custom, one off shop and the design served me well for years.

Like Gino says, the drops are gravy. I saved everything. Need a test piece for paint? Got it. Need a 3/4" match-plate to set J bolts? Got it. Need an 8" x 96" piece of ACM, without using a whole sheet? Got it. Need a chunk of OSB to lay across a ditch to get the wheelbarrow in? Got it. I went through a fire and the soot ruined most everything in the rack. I remember taking it to the landfill and every time I chucked a piece, I was like there goes 10 dollars, there goes 15 dollars. and another 20 dollars.
I worked at a sign company that’s been in business for 106 years, they had a rack just like this but about 5X the size… they kept every scrap piece but never used them lol. I swear there was old materials in there from 100 years ago.