• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question How many here share this................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How many husbands and wives share the same last name ?? If not, any particular reason(s) ??

Could it be a business move....... perhaps the wife does not wanna lose her identity....... not married by law........ or just don't give a rat's behind.

This has me wondering about values or lack thereof or just a better understanding of people and the times.

equippaint

How many husbands and wives share the same last name ?? If not, any particular reason(s) ??

Could it be a business move....... perhaps the wife does not wanna lose her identity....... not married by law........ or just don't give a rat's behind.

This has me wondering about values or lack thereof or just a better understanding of people and the times.
My friend's wife didn't change hers. I didn't understand why, seems confusing to me. If it helps you understand, I don't wear a ring either, Im afraid of it getting stuck on something or getting my hand pulled into a machine

Tatonka

I've got a coworker who combined their last names when they were married. Took half from one and half from the other and made a new last name.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My friend's wife didn't change hers. I didn't understand why, seems confusing to me. If it helps you understand, I don't wear a ring either, Im afraid of it getting stuck on something or getting my hand pulled into a machine

I don't wear a ring either... I don't like things on my hands...no watch. Hell, we don't even sleep in the same room.

Billct2

o_O I thought you meant how many people married someone who had the same last name, I know at least one.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah Im with you on that, no watch here either, constant fiddling with them. Hate crap in my pockets too.

I hear ya, No wallet either.. I have one on the small money clips I keep in my front pocket. Very minimal keys too.... Ya know, gotta make room for a phone the size of a laptop.

clarizeyale

It may depend on the woman. Say her last name is Kahlo and if she got her PhD or doctrine while she was unmarried, gets married and takes her husbands last name (Rivera), she's no longer Dr. Kahlo, she's Dr. Rivera... But her husband or that name didn't go through that whole process or journey of her being a Dr. This may also reflect on her identity. She grew up Kahlo, her identity is Kahlo, she should stay Dr. Kahlo. What were to happen if they were to get a divorce for good reason? If he passed away, maybe gets remarried... I think it's fine for her to stay Dr. Kahlo and not take on any husbands last name.

I think if a woman wants to keep her last name (doctrine or not) that's up to her.... Some families may see it as passing on the family name but growing up Asian (or from any immigrant family) your last name was most likely given to you because it sounds better, spelled better, or was easier to best identify you... So honestly, does it really matter?

I'm not sure what I would do once I get married. I have a family name I want to keep and be able to pass down as well, why should it only be the husbands name that gets passed down and kept?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It may depend on the woman. Say her last name is Kahlo and if she got her PhD or doctrine while she was unmarried, gets married and takes her husbands last name (Rivera), she's no longer Dr. Kahlo, she's Dr. Rivera... But her husband or that name didn't go through that whole process or journey of her being a Dr. This may also reflect on her identity. She grew up Kahlo, her identity is Kahlo, she should stay Dr. Kahlo. What were to happen if they were to get a divorce for good reason? If he passed away, maybe gets remarried... I think it's fine for her to stay Dr. Kahlo and not take on any husbands last name.

I think if a woman wants to keep her last name (doctrine or not) that's up to her.... Some families may see it as passing on the family name but growing up Asian (or from any immigrant family) your last name was most likely given to you because it sounds better, spelled better, or was easier to best identify you... So honestly, does it really matter?

I'm not sure what I would do once I get married. I have a family name I want to keep and be able to pass down as well, why should it only be the husbands name that gets passed down and kept?

That's kinda the whole point here. If it doesn't matter one way, then it doesn't matter the other way. It's just a Friday afternoon fun discussion on who has what and why ??

No one is gonna be graded and no followup test, later.​

Bly

Present one didn't, last one did. First one didn't.
I did say to the one that took my name if you hate me so much give me back my friggin name.

lyndawayne

I took my husband’s name but my previous last name is now my middle name. Business is Yoder Signs 30+ yrs. so everybody thinks he’s Dennis Yoder, not Dennis Wayne. He shoulda taken my name, lol

Johnny Best

I've got a coworker who combined their last names when they were married. Took half from one and half from the other and made a new last name.
Yes my wife wanted to do that also. Her last name was Cox and with my last name as Best. Her father’s name was Big, and her nickname in high school was Fonda.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I chose to hyphenate my maiden name and married name. In hindsight, I wish I didn't, because now my full name is very long. I generally just go by my married name, but when we refinanced our house, I had to sign my entire legal full name like 30 times. Hand cramp.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I also have an identity crisis every time I go to the doctor, because I can't remember what it's under, and they have to try like 3 times to find me