• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How many times...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
So many members here don't have a clue as to the rules and policies around here ?? It's one thing to bend the rules or even break them without knowing, but all these members who are hawking their wares without permission and are reminded of it time and time again.

How 'bout a 2 strike method for that violation ??

It's the beginning of a new year, so perhaps we could ALL make some provisions to be better members.

Personally, I'd like to see all the free-loaders/free-loading stopped. Let's ALL start reporting these people and nip it in the bud, once and for all.

:thankyou:

Gino for 2020.

Perhaps the owner wants to keep the website running fine just don't have the resources to. Not enough revenue to hire a paid moderator to do the 9-5 job? What are the suggestions to resolve this issue?

Last edited:

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
There are hundreds of posts made on Signs101 weekly. It is nearly impossible for our small Moderating Team to catch every single non-MM member either sneaking in their advertisement(s) or whom are simply unaware that 'hawking their wares' is against Signs101 policy - unless a member of the Merchant Members usergroup.

While I personally appreciate the suggestion of better moderating for sake of our Merchant Members - I certainly disagree that this is such a 'train wreck' of a situation that it supersedes all other facets of managing Signs101. I'll respond to a few of the points of contention made here:

Let's ALL start reporting these people and nip it in the bud, once and for all.
When posts of violating the self promotion portion of Signs101 policy are reported. They are handled at the Moderating Team's earliest convenience.
We appreciate when members report violation of policy posts. Feel free to patrol the board and report such violations and we'll handle it as we see fit.

I haven't noticed this to be a serious problem. Am I missing something Gino?
No. It's NOT a serious problem.
It's definitely not as serious a problem as has been portrayed in this thread!

I rarely post on Signs 101...but if I see someone looking for a solution and I've got it, am I breaking a rule by posting "I've got product XXX that will solve the problem you are working on".
See the quoted exception to the self-promotion policy below...

Most people resort to PMing people about this kinda stuff to fly under the radar.
Using the PM system to thwart forum policy will garner a strict warning and/or ban, as it is against Signs101 policy! As stated in the Posting Policy:
Spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the Signs101 email and conversation (PM) system to spam other members. **NOTE** A general rule of thumb is to refrain from posting your unsolicited, personal website links, email address, and other identifying contact information, unless you have upgraded your membership status to Premium and/or Merchant Member. Otherwise your posted content may be considered SPAM and subject to deletion.
Source: General Rules of Member Conduct #6

Signs101 Administration and Moderating Team are not about the business of reading members' PMs.
So we do encourage members to use the REPORT button whenever an unsolicited offer to sale goods is sent via PM.

I understood, but it's also technically against the rules to shill for another company.
No it isn't. Or rather - "shilling" for another company is allowed specifically when a member requests a referral. As stated in the original Signs101 posting policies, and as revised to fit the updated posting policy:
The only exception to this particular rule can be seen below via the "Miscellaneous Rules & Re: Forum Etiquette" section, rule #4 sub-section #3, which states, "Referrals to vendors (merchant subscriber or not) are allowed and are encouraged when a member requests such a referral."
Source: General Rules of Member Conduct #6

Otherwise - self promotion and/or shilling for your company and/or an affiliate is completely against Signs101 policy. Such posts will be deleted, with a warning sent to the offending member suggesting the membership upgrade option.

I think the main point of the post is to have some kind of infraction system.

Break the rule once... Get an infraction. Twice... 24 hour suspension. Third time.. Your put, etc.
This has already been suggested and hopefully will implemented in the coming days.

What are the suggestions to resolve this issue?
The only suggestion really is for members to report posts they believe violates Signs101 posting policy.

In closing - I'd' like to say "Welcome to the internet" --- It is a vast universe filled with spam - people want to make money. It's the way of the world.
Sometimes new and old members alike will try selling their goods/services. When the Signs101 Moderating Team is aware of such posts - the posts are removed immediately.

The idea that we are intentionally allowing people to thwart and/or violate our posting policy is ridiculous. Thanks for your concern though Gino
We are not perfect - but we will be implementing a system that better supports our legitimate Merchant Members from ineligible members hawking their goods and such.

Thanks. And we'll definitely appreciate reports of posts that violate Signs101 policy.

SignsSupport

Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

The site makes enough to just pay the server costs, this is not a money making site, if it wasn't for the paid membership and the advertisers I'd close the place down.

Big Thank YOU so our paid members!

I (and you as well) know for a fact that this site used to make decent $$, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it.
Not bashing you here...just making an educated observation....

Signs101Admin

Owner
Staff member
Yes than Facebook came..... I'm not the only discussion forum site that no longer makes money. So if you're suggesting that somehow, I'm the reason, I've only been running forms since 2001 and my last website sold for 7 figures..... so theirs that.... ALSO some advertisers won't come back when they see the way most discussions turn..

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Yes than Facebook came..... I'm not the only discussion forum site that no longer makes money. So if you're suggesting that somehow, I'm the reason, I've only been running forms since 2001 and my last website sold for 7 figures..... so theirs that.... ALSO some advertisers won't come back when they see the way most discussions turn..
It seemed a dig at you as owner and the moderating team by proxy.

The point about threads devolving into pettiness, personal insults & somewhat juvenile debate is a point I think doesn't necessarily reverberate with the memberbase as much as it should. I'm just happy to say that in the past several weeks I've noticed a trend towards members being more cordial to each other and more willing to assist even the obvious newbies with suggestions on how to better their craft and such, where before there was a certain penchant towards demoralization and/or ridicule. The atmosphere has changed for the better and I feel it to be a much more welcoming vibe.

SignsSupport

Status
Not open for further replies.