• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Much Time for Box Truck?

Conor Knoxx

I have an 18 foot box truck to wrap - just the two sides ( about 7 ft high). I don't do a lot of these, so I know I'm still on the bottom side of the learning curve.... but wondering how long most shops take to do this?
I always seem to calculate waaaaay under....
But if I charged based how long it was actually taking - I wouldn't be competitive at all.
So I'm trying base pricing on the time it "should" take, then work towards getting proficient enough to actually meet that.

rjssigns

I would think 6 or 7 hours should be plenty. I did an 18' box truck for REBATH by myself and it took around 7 hours. Although it wasn't a full wrap. It was made up of many small to huge pieces that had to be installed according to corporate guidelines. Passenger and driver doors, hood the flat panel above the cab and rear door all got something too.

I am pretty sure I could have done full panels a lot faster. I thought i would wear out my tape measure on that job.LOL

SIGNTIME

it would take us about 6 hrs with two guys.... but like you were are not that fast i think some people on here could do it in less time with one person for sure but they probably do it alot more often than your shop or mine

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're not set up for doing this work routinely, you're gonna be a little high.

• First, you have to prep the truck differently than die-cutting vinyl.
  • You have to make sure your room is rather clean.
  • Post heating and making sure you didn't forget anything, from not being used to this kinda application

I'd say a good day.

Conor Knoxx

thanks for the replies all.
I think from the overall feedback I'm going to base it on 6 hours for 2 guys (12 man-hours) and whatever more it takes us, I'll consider that "education cost" lol.
My opinion is "we need to learn this skill" but there's no reason the customer should pay for our lack of experience.
We actually did a trailer almost this size last fall (it was front and back as well though) - and ended up taking a little over twice this long - but hopefully we are getting faster!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Charging based on how long it will take on a box truck wrap doesn't make sense.
It may take me 8 hours and takes you 16 hours but we should be in the same neighborhood.
I would quit this business if I had to charge less for doing the work faster.
Typically you charge by square foot on box trucks and trailers. The more guys working on it (or more experienced), the less time you spend making the money.

Conor Knoxx

my final quote is based on a per sq. ft. price. However to get an accurate cost of this price, I need know the labor cost. Or what the labor cost "should be" once we're experienced and much more proficient. I agree, you wouldn't want to lower your pricing just because you're faster (than the next guy) - but really I approach it as I'm getting less profit (lower margin) because I'm not so good yet. Heh.. I have to work my way up that "pro rate!"

The reality is, I find it very hard to get over $8/ft for this kind of work ( I usually try for $10, rarely get it )
but if that's where the market is, that's where it is - I can't really change that. However I can decide to pursue it, or not, based on how much profit there is, at $8 a foot.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
$8 a sq.ft. Installed for flat surface things like Box Truck Sides and enclosed trailers is spot on market average but there are areas that charge less. Especially shops using cheaper calendered vinyl in spite of the rivets/screw heads, and shrinkage on overlaps. That's how they charge less and get the jobs. I try to tell people about the differences between the vinyls if they say they got a guy down the highway quoting half my price. Then tell them to make sure they are asking if it's laminated cast vinyl when getting quotes. They are usually very appreciative of the knowledge and use me anyway if they actually have a budget for the wrap.