• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How much would you charge for this job

dirtydog50000

7 locations. Basic 1 color except for doors and back have small blue wave. 4 doors , back tailgate and top of bed 94" x 9".

PS I'm lettering 4 more of there trucks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 268

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're doing 7 of these all total, about $400 per vehicle if they're all similar plus your travel time. No idea why you would go to 7 locations. Have them come to you.

dirtydog50000

If you're doing 7 of these all total, about $400 per vehicle if they're all similar plus your travel time. No idea why you would go to 7 locations. Have them come to you.

Ha Seven locations on the truck 4 doors, 2 rear Quarter panels and tailgate. They came to me

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
$550.00. It's immaterial how many of these you get to do, it's still the same amount of work per truck.

Snydo

I always thought Windex was highly NOT recommended for surface prep....leaves a waxy residue or some such thing?

rossmosh

$550.00. It's immaterial how many of these you get to do, it's still the same amount of work per truck.

Not true. You can spread the layout/artwork/billing/time with the customer over several jobs vs 1. Also doing 1 job will maybe take 1 hour vs doing 7 might drop to 40 minutes each, so while the work may be "the same", your efficiency will often increase. Lastly, there is often a reasonable expectation of an improvement of material yield when doing multiples vs a one off.

bob

Not true. You can spread the layout/artwork/billing/time with the customer over several jobs vs 1. Also doing 1 job will maybe take 1 hour vs doing 7 might drop to 40 minutes each, so while the work may be "the same", your efficiency will often increase. Lastly, there is often a reasonable expectation of an improvement of material yield when doing multiples vs a one off.

Rationalizations in tortured support of whatever it is you're supporting.

1 truck takes 2 hours then 2 trucks take 4 hours. Period. Trivial and potential material savings, if any, are lost in the grass. Artwork, in this case, is non-existent but if there were any it would be billed separately. Layout is what you do to produce a sign, no charge and trivial time. Billing? What sort of vampire charges for billing? Time with customer is what you do to get the job, if you want it. If you don't want it then don't spend any time getting it.

Moreover, no matter how long you've been doing this sort of thing and no matter how good you might be at doing it, there's a non-zero probability that you're going to screw up at least some part of the job. The more trucks you do the closer this probability gets to 1. Screw ups are on you, not the client. And no, the possibility is not factored into the price. Your supposed to be a professional ferchrissakes, act like it.

rossmosh

1 truck takes 2 hours then 2 trucks take 4 hours. Period. Trivial and potential material savings, if any, are lost in the grass. Artwork, in this case, is non-existent but if there were any it would be billed separately. Layout is what you do to produce a sign, no charge and trivial time. Billing? What sort of vampire charges for billing? Time with customer is what you do to get the job, if you want it. If you don't want it then don't spend any time getting it.

Moreover, no matter how long you've been doing this sort of thing and no matter how good you might be at doing it, there's a non-zero probability that you're going to screw up at least some part of the job. The more trucks you do the closer this probability gets to 1. Screw ups are on you, not the client. And no, the possibility is not factored into the price. Your supposed to be a professional ferchrissakes, act like it.

The whole benefit of doing production work is that you gain efficiency. Based on your simple rationalization that you should charge for your time, then by doing 7 of something vs 1 should result in cost savings simply down to the fact it will take less time to do 7 of the same job than 7 unique jobs. Are you arguing that 7 unique jobs takes the same amount of time as doing 7 of the same job? If that's the case, I question if you've ever done any production work.

Also, the probability of making a mistake is supposed to drop based on production work. Not increase. You're getting your math screwed up. Let's throw out some random numbers. Let's say on any unique job, there is a 25% chance of something going wrong. That means if I do 4 unique jobs a day, I'll screw up one. Sounds reasonable enough. Now if I sit there and do the same job 7 times, my probability of making a mistake per piece should drop down to let's just say 20%. That should also sound reasonable. That means I'll screw up about 1 out of 5 jobs doing production work. While this means I will likely screw up during this 7 piece job, that doesn't change the fact that my probability of making a mistake has dropped.

Lastly, if you're not factoring in all costs, including error and waste, then you're the one that's not a professional. You don't think every big industry in the world factors in waste and error into their pricing? When you make mistakes/errors/waste beyond the calculated amount is what you typically can't bill for. I say typically because we all know that there are circumstances beyond our control that result in error/mistakes/waste which cannot and should not be eaten and have to be passed on to the customer.

Sign Works

The whole benefit of doing production work is that you gain efficiency. Based on your simple rationalization that you should charge for your time, then by doing 7 of something vs 1 should result in cost savings simply down to the fact it will take less time to do 7 of the same job than 7 unique jobs. Are you arguing that 7 unique jobs takes the same amount of time as doing 7 of the same job? If that's the case, I question if you've ever done any production work.

Also, the probability of making a mistake is supposed to drop based on production work. Not increase. You're getting your math screwed up. Let's throw out some random numbers. Let's say on any unique job, there is a 25% chance of something going wrong. That means if I do 4 unique jobs a day, I'll screw up one. Sounds reasonable enough. Now if I sit there and do the same job 7 times, my probability of making a mistake per piece should drop down to let's just say 20%. That should also sound reasonable. That means I'll screw up about 1 out of 5 jobs doing production work. While this means I will likely screw up during this 7 piece job, that doesn't change the fact that my probability of making a mistake has dropped.

Lastly, if you're not factoring in all costs, including error and waste, then you're the one that's not a professional. You don't think every big industry in the world factors in waste and error into their pricing? When you make mistakes/errors/waste beyond the calculated amount is what you typically can't bill for. I say typically because we all know that there are circumstances beyond our control that result in error/mistakes/waste which cannot and should not be eaten and have to be passed on to the customer.

If you screw up 25% of the time I'd venture to say it just might be time for a new line of work.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have many customers who will bring us 4 and 5 trucks at one time. Once in a while they bring one truck, maybe it was in and accident and needs to be redone. While if you do one truck at a time, it actually does take longer, than when you are doing multiples. When weeding 5 trucks at once, you get the entire thing weeded much faster that if you did one at a time. When laying out 5 trucks, you just go down the line using the same measurments. Again, in a much faster timeframe that one at a time. When applying the vinyl to all the sides at once, then the fronts, then the backs, it goes much faster than one at a time. I think this theory is based on Henry Ford's assembly line technique. When we do a real estate clients 4' × 8's or other large signs, it goes much faster when doing them all at one time, rather than one at a time 12 times. Of course, we have the room to fit 5 trucks in a row in our truck bay....... or paint a dozen 4' × 8's at one time while 5 trucks are out in the bay, too. We generally will have 2 people doing this kinda stuff at once, also. Regardless of 1 or 2 people working on the same project, it's a proven method at our shop, multiples go much faster.

ddarlak

Go Bills!

yer an idiot, period.

multiple vehicles deserves a discount, and yes, you do get more efficient as you go.

not to mention that you can get you materials cheaper as you might be getting a 50 yard roll as opposed to a 10 yard roll, or 2 ten yards rolls.

bob

...multiple vehicles deserves a discount, and yes, you do get more efficient as you go...

Perhaps a mouth breathing thumb-fingered buffoon such as you seem to be could become significantly more efficient with repetition. Any improvement seen in normal and competent beings for the most part is trivial.

...not to mention that you can get you materials cheaper as you might be getting a 50 yard roll as opposed to a 10 yard roll, or 2 ten yards rolls...

You and your fellow tribesmen might quote prices on the come based on what might or might not be. Others, those that are not confounded by simple arithmetic, do not.