• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How should you clean area before placing decals?

VicoDrive

About to start printing out my first vehicle decal install all on my own :). Is there anything special I should clean the surface with before applying or will just basic Windex and a paper town do just fine?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
i would avoid using any glass cleaner or anything else containing ammonia. Ammonia will cause most adhesives to fail prematurely. My preference for surface prep is denatured alcohol.

Henri

We use Meths, seems to work well although might be a tad expensive. Would be interesting to know if there is anything else cheaper and just as effective.:thankyou:

kanini

Don't use window washer fluid for cars, had a customer that cleaned his car with it(!?) before applying his decals (yes, yes, he saved a couple bucks to do-it-himself). The decals peeled about 2-3 hours later, and of course he asked for replacement. This was the first time I had any failure with the material at all, so you can tell I was surprised. Luckily he admitted using window washing fluid, otherwise I'd be stumped why they would fall off. Didn't think about ammonia, but it could be that the fluid contains that. Thanks for the tip, Fred!

We use citrus based surface cleaner ment for cleaning before applying decals, doesn't cost much, already pre-mixed and smells good.

OldPaint

one of the things you will learn in this line of work...
THE SAME THING DONT WORK ON EVERYTHING!!!!!!
there are a lot of products you can by.....AND A DIFFERENT ONE FOR OTHER APPLICATIONS.
BASIC:
warm water with dish washing soap. this is the safest and easiest for most new paints(building or vehicle).
LITTLE STRONGER:
PURPLE POWER instead of dish soap. also can be used FULL STRENGTH....for stuborn stuff.
MINERAL SPIRITS/TURPS, the first on a chemical list that goes up to ketone......
YOU NEED TO KNOW WHICH will do the best job.
91% ALCOHOL........should be a staple in your shop area. old tee shirts make good cleaning rags or real cloth baby diapers........the best.

Jillbeans

I make my dog lick it.
:smile:
Other times I use Rapid Prep
http://www.rapidtac.com/rapid-prep.html
then 91% alcohol.
I do not use anything like turps or thinners as I did once (on my own vehicle thankfully) and later on down the road when I removed the graphic it also pulled up the clear coat.
I use cheap paper towels usually.
Love....Jill

johnnysigns

be wary of 91% alcohol and the ever more popular water based paint that's coming on more and more vehicles.

I use vinegar to clean the crap off and 70% isopropyl to degrease.

Tim Aucoin

Did my truck last week. Used Rapid Prep to clean and Rapid Tac to apply. Easiest time I've ever had applying vinyl to a vehicle! (Thanks again for the tip/advice Jill!! :loveya:). Interesting relationship you and Suki (did I get that right?) have! :ROFLMAO:

Yep, truck looks great, but off it all comes today! Traded it in last night for a 2013 Edge... At least I know what I'll be doing when it comes time to brand the new car!! :smile:

OldPaint

NO WHERE IN THIS POST........did anyone say to use RUBBING ALCOHOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
most products that say RUBBING ALCOHOL...contain some minerial or petroleum oils.
70% alcohol..........may contain some oils..... 91% is is exactly what it says it is....
91% alcohol and water.

thomas barth

. . . just finish with alcohol

.. no matter what we use to remove the bugs and tar, we always give a final wipedown with 91% alcohol.