• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to Bypass sensor on Seal 62 base

sean@indyprint

Hey folks got a Seal 62 base lam that is annoying as F#CK, sometimes the material bunches up slightly at the point of lamination and triggers the sensor causing the SNAIL MODE to activate.... i know ive seen an answer to this in previous posts and am trying to find it again.. if anyone knows please share with the class :)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Depends on what kind of sensor. If it's an NO switch that you don't want to make, then unwire it or force it to stay unmade. If it's an NC switch the you want to stay made then either jumper across it or force it to stay made.If it's a photo-sensor then you can put a chunk of tape over it to keep it from sensing anything. It's not rocket surgery.

sean@indyprint

Depends on what kind of sensor. If it's an NO switch that you don't want to make, then unwire it or force it to stay unmade. If it's an NC switch the you want to stay made then either jumper across it or force it to stay made.If it's a photo-sensor then you can put a chunk of tape over it to keep it from sensing anything. It's not rocket surgery.
i tried putting some blue tape over the sensor which i suppose triggered it because it wouldn't let me advance the roll with the pedal.. what would be my next move bud?

papabud

Lone Wolf
if its the red laser eye sensor. i have issues with mine every now and then, its a simple fix
remove the side panel on the sending unit side.
rotate it so your red beam in more up and down. mine likes to rotate to making the beam horizontal. when it does this even the slightest ripple will trigger it. but once i rotate it back it runs almost non stop.

boxerbay

on our royal soverign we have the finger sensor that stops the rollers if your hand gets near the rollers. problem is when you are mounting on to foamboard it sets it off. we open the side cover and put a jumper wire on the switch to bypass it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
i tried putting some blue tape over the sensor which i suppose triggered it because it wouldn't let me advance the roll with the pedal.. what would be my next move bud?

Sensors are switches, either mechanical or electronic. A sensor is either normally open or normally closed when it's not sensing anything. When it senses whatever it senses it goes to its other state, either closed or open, depending.

If you don't want a sensor to sense anything then it must be held in whatever state it's in when it's not sensing anything. Likewise if you want a sensor to always sense something then you must hold it in whatever state it's in when it's sensing something. With mechanical switches it's relatively easy to do this. With electronic sensors you can put a chunk of tape over it to make it always sense, usually. Making it never sense is a taste more difficult often requiring a jumper across the sensor's connection, usually.

There are some situations where defeating a sensor becomes more technical. Sometimes the circuitry behind a sensor is looking for a transition and not a state. If this is the case then, generally, you're screwed. There are other more or less annoying variations.

dypinc

On my Seal 6100 the sensors are adjustable up and down. Just adjust/slide them up higher.

I'm having the same issue with my base 54. I've tried putting tape over both sides and even putting chrome vinyl in front of the eye on both sides. Still nothing. It appears to have a laser on both sides and they are not adjustable. Help!

ikarasu

The eye should be adjustable with a screw once you take the side panels off.

Disabling it is easy... Take off the panel where the controls are, there should be a diagram of the pin layouts in the side, look for which pins are the safety / eye pin... Then take a small wire and just jump them together.

We did it on ours, it's not scary to operate because it will crush your hand if you get close to it. I don't recommend doing it if you're a business owner and an employee operates it, unless you like getting sued and a big disability claim!

The eye should be adjustable with a screw once you take the side panels off.

Disabling it is easy... Take off the panel where the controls are, there should be a diagram of the pin layouts in the side, look for which pins are the safety / eye pin... Then take a small wire and just jump them together.

We did it on ours, it's not scary to operate because it will crush your hand if you get close to it. I don't recommend doing it if you're a business owner and an employee operates it, unless you like getting sued and a big disability claim!
I'm a owner operator so I'm good, I'll see what i can figure out

Hey folks got a Seal 62 base lam that is annoying as F#CK, sometimes the material bunches up slightly at the point of lamination and triggers the sensor causing the SNAIL MODE to activate.... i know ive seen an answer to this in previous posts and am trying to find it again.. if anyone knows please share with the class :)
Remove both sensors. Pull one through the base of the machine. Wrap them in a short piece of plastic pipe with the appropriate diameter. There are such everywhere. The length of the pipe does not matter. 3, 4, 5 cm. It doesn't matter.

It takes a really big effort to smear your fingers.
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about the two very expensive photo sensors before and after the shafts. You just take them off, pull one through the base, and wrap the two in a short piece of plastic pipe so they can be seen. And you forget about the problem.

Last edited:
Remove both sensors. Pull one through the base of the machine. Wrap them in a short piece of plastic pipe with the appropriate diameter. There are such everywhere. The length of the pipe does not matter. 3, 4, 5 cm. It doesn't matter.

It takes a really big effort to smear your fingers.
If I understand you correctly, you are talking about the two very expensive photo sensors before and after the shafts. You just take them off, pull one through the base, and wrap the two in a short piece of plastic pipe so they can be seen. And you forget about the problem.
OK I'm following. Put them in the pipe facing each other so they complete the laser.

OK I'm following. Put them in the pipe facing each other so they complete the laser.
Yes. It is easy and does not require any engineering knowledge and skills. You can use the most common PVC plumbing pipe. This will allow you to wind a short thread using the sensors themselves. You may lose an hour to release the cables and pull the sensor through the machine. You can leave the receiver and transmitter on the floor of the machine. I think, you understand the idea and I hope you can solve the problem. There must be other ways. This one seems the most elementary to me.

Last edited:
Yes. It is easy and does not require any engineering knowledge and skills. You can use the most common PVC plumbing pipe. This will allow you to wind a short thread using the sensors themselves. You may lose an hour to release the cables and pull the sensor through the machine. You can leave the receiver and transmitter on the floor of the machine. I think, you understand the idea and I hope you can solve the problem. There must be other ways. This one seems the most elementary to me.
OK Thanks.