• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to install a large piece of vinyl on lexan (polycarbonate) material?

lex9007

Re-Inventing The Sign Experience
Hello,
What's the best way to install a piece of black vinyl with cut out letters on a 5' ft x 26ft lexan sheet.

Any ideas or techniques for applying this vinyl on this long piece?

Thank You.

rjssigns

Wrap vinyl with air release and a Big Squeegee. We've done 10' x 10' signs that way. Works a treat.

fresh

We would break up the artwork into manageable pieces and include registration marks to align the pieces with minimal need for measuring.

If you have a really hard time putting down big pieces of vinyl, you can always do it wet.... But we would have no problem installing this dry, it might be easier if you had two people, one to squeegee, one to hold the loose end of the app tape.
attachment.php

Attachments

• BREAKUP.jpg
    BREAKUP.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 824

Kottwitz-Graphics

We would break up the artwork into manageable pieces and include registration marks to align the pieces with minimal need for measuring.

If you have a really hard time putting down big pieces of vinyl, you can always do it wet.... But we would have no problem installing this dry, it might be easier if you had two people, one to squeegee, one to hold the loose end of the app tape.
attachment.php

+1, sortof... I tape it down and cut into manageable sections, but I always apply wet on acrylic... There is so much static electricity that it will pull dirt from the far reaches of my shop. A little soapy water helps it go down so much more smoother. I spray the face, and the graphics, apply, and then a light mist over the application tape, and re-squeegee it down. After I apply the first part, I leave the premask on and go on to the next section. When everything is down, I go back to where I start, re wet the application tape with a light mist, and then remove.

fresh

+1, sortof... I tape it down and cut into manageable sections, but I always apply wet on acrylic... There is so much static electricity that it will pull dirt from the far reaches of my shop. A little soapy water helps it go down so much more smoother. I spray the face, and the graphics, apply, and then a light mist over the application tape, and re-squeegee it down. After I apply the first part, I leave the premask on and go on to the next section. When everything is down, I go back to where I start, re wet the application tape with a light mist, and then remove.

We probably would be weary about plotting something that big in one run (not to mention the width may not all fit on one run of vinyl). We also tape by hand, and anything over 10 or 12 feet is pretty risky. So if we are going to break it up in sections anyway, why not just make the sections small enough install in one piece. (6-8 feet wide)

I do agree about the taping it all down and then cutting it up to install with ease. But once you start plotting everything with registration marks, if your pieces are manageable enough not to need the "hinge technique", two people can slap on that lettering pretty quickly. However, I guess I would consider my way an advanced technique. We wouldn't attempt it if one partner wasn't an experienced and proficient installer.

Kottwitz-Graphics

We probably would be weary about plotting something that big in one run (not to mention the width may not all fit on one run of vinyl). We also tape by hand, and anything over 10 or 12 feet is pretty risky. So if we are going to break it up in sections anyway, why not just make the sections small enough install in one piece. (6-8 feet wide)

I do agree about the taping it all down and then cutting it up to install with ease. But once you start plotting everything with registration marks, if your pieces are manageable enough not to need the "hinge technique", two people can slap on that lettering pretty quickly. However, I guess I would consider my way an advanced technique. We wouldn't attempt it if one partner wasn't an experienced and proficient installer.

The longest I have done is 16'. I had to cut the background, and remove the letters...

And I am a single person shop, so I have no choice but to do it alone. ... well, I sometimes get my son to help me, but not too often.

MikePro

wet apply and you should be golden.
longest i've done in one-piece was 9'x50', vertical tiles I had pre-seamed to eachother & applied the whole horizontally, but it was dry with controltac.
...also helps that i'm 6'4" tall.