• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to install large vinyl?

KY_Graphics_Gal

We are a print shop but dabble a little in signs from time to time. I've been a member on here for a couple of years trying to learn from all of you experienced folks. So I'm sure this is a VERY newbie question but nevertheless I have to ask. We have been contracted to install cut vinyl on a large storefront window. We've done small (hours of operation, etc...) but never something 4' wide. It is all one color Oracal 651 (I know, should be something better but this is what we have on hand and she doesn't want to wait). How do you successfully install a large piece STRAIGHT and without wrinkles and bubbles? Can you use a soapy water solution so that it can be slid into place better? Any help will be much appreciated!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Are you able to keep it as one piece i.e. masked in layout? Line it up, center it etc. once you got it, tape a "hinge" at the bottom edge. Pull the backer off and fold it back using it to hold the vinyl straight. It can be done dry but you could also use a soapy alcohol solution. You can split with scissors and do half at a time if not comfortable doing it all at once.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
1637184786435.png

KY_Graphics_Gal

Are you able to keep it as one piece i.e. masked in layout? Line it up, center it etc. once you got it, tape a "hinge" at the bottom edge. Pull the backer off and fold it back using it to hold the vinyl straight. It can be done dry but you could also use a soapy alcohol solution. You can split with scissors and do half at a time if not comfortable doing it all at once.
It will have to be a couple of pieces because she wants other info on the window ends (3' away from center piece). I'm concerned about vertical centering with that. What ratio of soap/water/alcohol do you recommend?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I'm a confused buy your last question, please clarify.

I use a spray bottle of water with a few drops of Dawn dish soap.

Attachments

• 1637186269345.jpeg
    1637186269345.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 153

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Place whatever it is you're cutting centered inside of a bounding rectangle and cut that rectangle as well. When you mask, trim the mask to that rectangle. Now you have a convenient rectangle to align both vertically and horizontally.

KY_Graphics_Gal

I'm a confused buy your last question, please clarify.

I use a spray bottle of water with a few drops of Dawn dish soap.
Yes! The top one. But the pieces are pretty far apart. If I mask it all together it will be 12' wide and I know for a fact that I would get it all stuck together and make a huge mess. I guess I was just hoping it was acceptable to use some kind of liquid so I had the option of sliding it up or down a quarter inch if the initial placement is off. Thanks so much for your help on this!

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We've found that if the hinge falls on the actual vinyl the tape can sometimes cause some "texture" effects in the vinyl.
Center hinge is fine, whatever floats your boat. If it can be broken apart just hinge it just cut between text and squeegee sections at a time.
p.s. a necessity when applying visor text to vehicles

Stacey K

I like making signs
Yes! The top one. But the pieces are pretty far apart. If I mask it all together it will be 12' wide and I know for a fact that I would get it all stuck together and make a huge mess. I guess I was just hoping it was acceptable to use some kind of liquid so I had the option of sliding it up or down a quarter inch if the initial placement is off. Thanks so much for your help on this!
OK, makes sense! I would cut and mask as one piece. Either add a vinyl line under the entire graphic or make a line with a pen. Then cut it apart into your 3 sections. I would tape all sections on using a center hinge. Stand back, make sure it looks good, measure again. I would start with the center section then move on. You can add a vinyl rectangle around the entire thing like Bob said too. Here's my bad drawing LOL

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 127