• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to make this contemporary?

ams

I designed this logo for a customer (they wanted a simple kids like bell, it's ugly.) Overlapped black letters on the yellow, which was impossible to read so I added a white outline, etc.

Well she says it's not what she wants, she wants it more "contemporary" and this is what she says.

-------------
We are trying to establish a brand so we are looking for something that can always be identified with us; and never loses its flare. Sort of like the "M" for McDonalds.

I envisioned "Order Up" being very fat and curvy and popping out at you. Can you make it 3D? Maybe we could even make the O or the D the bell. I wonder if "Mobile Food Cart" would look better without the white trim. Could I see that in a few different cursive fonts? And, we didn't like the bell at the bottom.
--------------

Any ideas?

orderup_logo.jpg

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Distressed font + outline looks horrible. IF you want to use that font, outline in black to fill any spots within the letters, weld, and then outline.

Order up is a 70s/80s style font, imo
Mobile Food Cart is a 40's/50's style script.
Off-Center outlined like that feels like handlettered.
I can see why she says she wants contemporary.

Put the jesus fish on the bell, it looks like an afterthought. Better yet, design the fish into the bell as highlights, so it doesn't necessarily scare off customers.
Stroke on bell doesn't match stroke on letters, but should.
I'd forgo on the stacked lettering.
Yellow on Red is still glaring.

What I'd do -
Design a round logo. Put bell at top, along and inside curve. About a 3rd of the height of the circle.
Order up underneath, filling rest of circle.
Mobile food cart in border, wrapped around bottom of circle.
Some filler text on top, phone number, website, etc.

ams

Distressed font + outline looks horrible. IF you want to use that font, outline in black to fill any spots within the letters, weld, and then outline.

Order up is a 70s/80s style font, imo
Mobile Food Cart is a 40's/50's style script.
Off-Center outlined like that feels like handlettered.
I can see why she says she wants contemporary.

Put the jesus fish on the bell, it looks like an afterthought. Better yet, design the fish into the bell as highlights, so it doesn't necessarily scare off customers.
Stroke on bell doesn't match stroke on letters, but should.
I'd forgo on the stacked lettering.
Yellow on Red is still glaring.

What I'd do -
Design a round logo. Put bell at top, along and inside curve. About a 3rd of the height of the circle.
Order up underneath, filling rest of circle.
Mobile food cart in border, wrapped around bottom of circle.
Some filler text on top, phone number, website, etc.

Thank you for the helpful advice. The yellow/red they will not move away from, they are dead set on those colors.

TimToad

What kind of initial questions were asked and what kind of preferences did the client express at that point?

Is this an actual logo design project, or a layout for something else you'll be producing?

Her most recent expressed desires and the use of the bell contradict each other. Maybe greasy spoon diners still use that kind of bell, but the heavy outline around it overpowers it and diminishes its appeal.

The mish mosh of very dated and unattractive fonts along with the shape of the panel not having any context or added value to the overall design doesn't help either.

When I imagine "order up" I think of an order ticket hanging from a clip on the expeditors counter at a restaurant and a salty looking, gruff line cook slapping a plate up on the counter. Not a "contemporary, mobile food cart.

TimToad

I would pass on this job. It sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.

What if it the logo design is connected to a big trailer wrap project?

I think if he can just get synced up with his client on her preferences and pull something more cohesive and contemporary together, it could save the entire project.

Marlene

Sub out the design of this. It sounds like design is not your thing so you'll waste more time trying and will scare off the client with bad design ideas.

shoresigns

What if it the logo design is connected to a big trailer wrap project?
I would still pass. Did you read the quote from the client? There's a red flag pretty much every three words. A highly experienced brand designer might be able to turn a client like that around, but even then I wouldn't bet on success.

We are trying to establish a brand so we are looking for something that can always be identified with us; and never loses its flare. Sort of like the "M" for McDonalds.

I envisioned "Order Up" being very fat and curvy and popping out at you. Can you make it 3D? Maybe we could even make the O or the D the bell. I wonder if "Mobile Food Cart" would look better without the white trim. Could I see that in a few different cursive fonts? And, we didn't like the bell at the bottom.

TimToad

I would still pass. Did you read the quote from the client? There's a red flag pretty much every three words. A highly experienced brand designer might be able to turn a client like that around, but even then I wouldn't bet on success.

To each his own. I read her message and am 100% certain I could come up with something that would fill the bill in under two hours time. She's just talking out loud about what she wants. It could be her first foray into business ownership and she's just talking herself up.

I think her direction is actually pretty clear compared to many.

A good designer should be able to knock that thing out of the park pretty easily.

TimToad

I think your customers are getting to you. The promises of customers will most likely stay promises.

No, I was using deductive reasoning. The OP stated it was a logo for a mobile food cart, so reasons stands that it could involve some trailer graphics, menus, business cards, flyers, etc.