• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to properly align graphics on a car?

So what do you do when the vehicle is in the shop or garage and you don't have unlimited space to check if text/graphic alignment looks right?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just bought a laser level off Amazon. But what I do is in the computer find the level line then I use tape or pinstripe and put that on the vehicle and measure from that. There’s usually some point you find like “the top of this to the middle of that or whatever”. It’s a good idea to make sure your graphics are cut straight so you can eyeball it as well. Sometimes it looks better if they are slightly off. Don’t measure off the floor or the tires as they can be inflated differently. You can always post a picture and get some advice from everyone.

brdesign

Most of the time I find it's best to just pick the most prominent bodyline that your eye is drawn to and make the graphics level to that line. Although it's becoming more common that vehicles have such odd body lines that no matter how you align the graphics it's gonna look a little crooked, you just have to figure out how to make it look the least crooked. Also by having the graphics level to a body line, door edge or etc. when the customer says "it's not level" you can pull out your tape measure and show them it's level to something on the vehicle that will usually satisfy them.

Thanks guys, what I've learned today is that alignment is subjective and there are no clear rules. One little trick I found is the use of a spirit level with rotating vial (like stanley 42495), so when I find a good placement on one side of the car I can mirror the same angle on the other side.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Thanks guys, what I've learned today is that alignment is subjective and there are no clear rules. One little trick I found is the use of a spirit level with rotating vial (like stanley 42495), so when I find a good placement on one side of the car I can mirror the same angle on the other side.
I use one of those, actually a 24" Klein but same general idea.

MikePro

parallel to key body lines > level with the ground.
prove me wrong but i can wrap a car in a closet if I needed-to.

There's no "standard", but you have the ability to see it on a computer screen before you even hit print. So use that time to declare which body lines you're intending to follow, and have your client sign-off on it like you normally would with any design. Then you can mindlessly tack it up with your magnets to align, and start applyin' when it comes time to wrap.

as noted above, its all arbitrary, but imho a "flat car"/truck shoulddeclare the bottom of the door or the window line as "level" and a "dart-shaped" car should choose that ascending bodyline in the middle of the door-panel as "level".

MikePro

just tell your client that the graphics are only "crooked" because they have too much air in their rear tires.

162-1625304_2016-chevrolet-corvette-z06-model-information-2017-corvette.png

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
just tell your client that the graphics are only "crooked" because they have too much air in their rear tires.
So which line would you use? Bottom is going off the rocker, top is the indented line in the door. I usually like to follow the rocker and the overall rake of the car.
Body Line.jpg

Stacey K

I like making signs
So which line would you use? Bottom is going off the rocker, top is the indented line in the door. I usually like to follow the rocker and the overall rake of the car. View attachment 154404
I would go with the top for name, city, phone type stuff. If it's some kind of fancy race thing like Mid Life Crisis in cursive with a slant and some checkered flags behind it then the rocker.

Notarealsignguy

Trucks are usually pretty easy, I'd still go off the bottom of the rocker or door or door line, since the lines are usually pretty level. I think that's what visual meant by level, relative to the vehicle, not the ground.
Big Truck.jpg

decalman

I've learned to just eyeball it.
Theres no reference points on a vehicle. Listen and learn.
If the customer thinks something is crooked..... well, I'm quick to argue with him... these are just stickers, here. We're not tuning a piano . Does this look like a piano.

Do not forsake me on my darling.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
bottom of vehicle is always level

Vehicles have "rake". The front of a vehicle is lower than the rear. On pick-up trucks it's usually about 2". They make leveling kits to make them even with the ground but that causes other issues like "squat" when it's loaded. Rake helps with airflow and fuel economy.

Notarealsignguy

Vehicles have "rake". The front of a vehicle is lower than the rear. On pick-up trucks it's usually about 2". They make leveling kits to make them even with the ground but that causes other issues like "squat" when it's loaded. Rake helps with airflow and fuel economy.
Yup. That's why the 1/2 ton 4wd trucks look like 2wd but 3/4 and up are more level. 1/2 tons hit the manufacturers fuel economy ratings, 3/4+ dont