• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to question....

njsignlady

faced with lettering an older van that has had the previous lettering spraypainted over with white. To cover the old lettering I was going to cover it with a sheet of .040 white aluminum. The van is fiberglass sides....how should I attach the sheet of aluminum?
Thank you for any suggestions!

CS-SignSupply-TT

heartbreak?!?!

faced with lettering an older van that has had the previous lettering spraypainted over with white. To cover the old lettering I was going to cover it with a sheet of .040 white aluminum. The van is fiberglass sides....how should I attach the sheet of aluminum?
Thank you for any suggestions!

This project sounds like a ticket to heartbreak...fiberglass...old paint...magnetics
by the way :Welcome:

MikeD

It may be easier to remove the old lettering and get a good cleaning first. Maybe to the extent of masking off part of the panel and painting that portion where your vinyl will go; kind of like a background or boarder. That would make YOUR part of the project look good, and the customer should pay for the prep; it obviously needs to be done, and I doubt he wants to drive his company billboard (Van) around looking in shabby condition.
Good Luck!

J

john1

Don't even touch this job, "not interested" is all you gotta say.

CanuckSigns

let me see if I understand this.

the van had cut vinyl lettering on it already, and they just painted over top of the lettering? (to save money I'm assuming) now they bring it to you to re letter?

I would turn down the job, it sounds like the customer is too cheap to pay you to do it properly. If you want to take the job, use the aluminum method and have the customer install it, remember, when you take on a job like this, it reflects on your shop's image as well as your customers.

ICeMAnAbk

depends on how much he cares about his van.

If he just spraypainted over the lettering, my senses tell me... not too much.

Either way, can we get a pic of this?

njsignlady

sorry having trouble posting pic.
Thank you all for the advice...I am going to pass on this van.

Last edited by a moderator: