• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help How to remove old liner off acrylic?

bannertime

I've got this piece of clear acrylic we're planning to turn into a shield for our counter. The liner is being a PIA to remove. I've tried soaking another piece with Rapid Remover and it didn't help much. These are old, could be 10-15 plus years old. We don't do a lot with clear acrylic. Most my suppliers are backed up on clear. So I'd like to use these since I'll never use them for anything else.

Any help would be appreciated it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_162926.jpg
    IMG_20200413_162926.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 354

MikePro

I know you said you tried it, buuuuuuut RapidRemover.
spray & wipe to "wet" the face, let it sit a couple of minutes. then when you start peeling you'll LOVE how the paper&adhesive comes off the panel like the plastic wrapper on a slice of Kraft cheese.

I've salvaged sheets of acrylic that were in the scrap pile for over a decade.

bannertime

I know you said you tried it, buuuuuuut RapidRemover.
spray & wipe to "wet" the face, let it sit a couple of minutes. then when you start peeling you'll LOVE how the paper&adhesive comes off the panel like the plastic wrapper on a slice of Kraft cheese.

I've salvaged sheets of acrylic that were in the scrap pile for over a decade.

I'll try it again!

bannertime

Well I put some idle hands on it with Rapid Remover. It did take about an hour, but it's done. Don't plan on doing that again.

They're telling me that 70% isoproply did better than the RR.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well I put some idle hands on it with Rapid Remover. It did take about an hour, but it's done. Don't plan on doing that again.

They're telling me that 70% isoproply did better than the RR.

Lol, I donated some new signs to my church a few years ago and thought to myself "Hey, it won't cost me because I have some old panels that will fit this thing" Well, I spent over an hour... the liner cracked in little tiny pieces and took forever to remove. I don't remember how I actually got it all off, but I do remember thinking I should of just bought new sheets.

unclebun

And this is why the idea that you'll leave the liner on the back of an aluminum or composite sign so that when they need it redone you can flip it around never works. After 5 years out in the sun and weather the liner never comes off clean.

VTSigns

If you have some cheap vinyl or laminate laying around maybe try laminating it to the liner and see if it comes off any easier. Just a thought...

Johnny Best

Take some newsprint or newspaper and put it on level face and soak with mineral spirts, let soak for awhile and then try to peel off liner, the longer the paper liner has been on the longer the soak.
Stay away from stronger solvents so it does not craze the acrylic.

bannertime

Cost of new piece vs. time and materials to clean off old piece. I always go for a new piece.

You do understand the post right? My supplier is backed up at least 15 days out on clear acrylic. This piece is for in house use. It's an old piece that wouldn't have been used for anything else.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You do understand the post right? My supplier is backed up at least 15 days out on clear acrylic. This piece is for in house use. It's an old piece that wouldn't have been used for anything else.

Some people don't bother reading an entire thread... or in this case an entire singular post. They just know before they finish the sentence, they have the answer!

StarSign

Read the post and it is under "Tips and Tricks", that is my tip. Saw the word, most, not all, and didn't see a time frame. The tricks mentioned work, if you have the time and patience to get it cleaned off, that is a great use of the material in this circumstance. I think sneeze guards will become the new normal.

KaitB

We had decent luck with soaking the liner in methyl hydrate for a few minutes (4-5) and then rolling it off with an old vinyl core. Wasn't perfect, but we had 75 pieces that needed peeling and no time to return them (I'm assuming our supplier sent us some older sheets, but clear acrylic had been a bugger to find, so we were buying anything and everyhting). So many freaking sneeze guards, I get a stress response grocery shopping now, for other reasons than COVID.

I'm pretty sure the boss gave them an earful and told them we never want that product again.

neutrinocv

Just let that paper backer soak in plain water for a few hours then rub-n-peel !!!

Any glue residue remaining can be removed with a soft glue remover. A 10:1 water and white vinegar solution with a small drop of dishwasher soap applied with a soft cloth then wipe with a dry soft cloth will act as a perfect and eco-friendly glass cleaner.

Voila !!!

DPD

I've got this piece of clear acrylic we're planning to turn into a shield for our counter. The liner is being a PIA to remove. I've tried soaking another piece with Rapid Remover and it didn't help much. These are old, could be 10-15 plus years old. We don't do a lot with clear acrylic. Most my suppliers are backed up on clear. So I'd like to use these since I'll never use them for anything else.

Any help would be appreciated it.
Agree with MikePro. I did it with Rapid Remove but in the spirit of full disclosure there is a chance the Rapid Remove can damage the acrylic. I have no idea how/why but I heard it is so. Mine worked out fine but it was pretty sloppy slathering the thing in Rapid Remove. I kept the doors/windows open because I have a rule: if I can smell it then it's probably not good for me. Being a cancer survivor I watch out for these things.

- denis