• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to swap old laptop to new...

Brendan

Im struggling with this for some reason today. I had to get a new laptop...vista of course. I want to go back to xp and move everything from my old laptop to my new. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Many thank youz....

Pro Image

They make a usb kit to link them up to sync. the data between the both of them.........Tigerdirect sell them....As for XP you'll have to wait on the computer gurus........LOL

OldPaint

all you need is a bootable copy of XP.........stick it in the cd/dvd thingy...and it will ask if you want to install XP!!! SAY YES, it will FDISK/FORMAT the hard drive...NO MORE VISTA! now you only problem is....DRIVERS FOR THAT MACHINE....you may have to go on line to get VIDEO/USB/VIA COMPLIANT...
other then that it will be XP.
BRAND AND MODLE OF LAPTOP....go on line and see if drivers are available for XP AND THAT COMPUTER.

Techman

first,, you make the resotre cd for your machine. most new lappy's have a util to make a restore cd.
This cd was normally given to you when you buy. Today they include it on your hd and you make your own from that.

Do not do anything until you have at least two sets of those cd's handy.

Second. Find all the drivers for you machine. You want two sets. one set is the vista and the other set is the XP.

Do not do any thing else until you have both sets.

Then since your lappy is likely SATA you will make a slipstreamed XP install cd. Go find nlite, down load it and it will help you make your XP install disk.

Or find a guru who has the experience and let him ddo it for you.
I just did another vista to XP install. It cost him $125.00 for me to get his machine to run. The secret is to get the F keys and volume control to work.