• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to tell the difference in Vinyl's.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Do you really have to negotiate those dominoes just to go to the ladies room?
Yes, I do. Here's what it looks like today...

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_120510.jpg
    IMG_20230620_120510.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 134

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hello! I have recently moved into a design role were i cut lots of different graphics from vinyl's all day. I am really struggling to figure out the difference between Cast and Calendared vinyl between the brands 3M, Avery and Arlon. My production manager pretty much removes the label once it arrives and stores them all mixed up together.

Does anyone have any tricks or advice to help me??
Usually printed on the liner…

Shred_signs

Lost Member
or you could start labeling them by hand.

Our process we developed was when ever the roll came off the machine, like as a step of "unloading the machine", you would use the caliper to math the remaining media, and that would be labeled on the open roll.
So we could easily check to make sure the open roll had enough media to complete whatever run came next.

Sometimes that would leave us with a few open rolls of the same media, but this was on a production floor with 10 printers.

Also my experience is that you can feel the tension in calendared vinyl, but that's my experience.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We gut little "T" shapes out of scrap plastics and use a dry erase marker to label every roll that arrives. We have to keep track of lot numbers on every order/print for MCS stuff so it helps making that easy to find. When the roll goes on the printer the T goes into the back of the RIP's monitor to show you which printer has which roll on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230623_074840059.jpg
    IMG_20230623_074840059.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230623_074852446.jpg
    IMG_20230623_074852446.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20230623_082043009.jpg
    IMG_20230623_082043009.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 101

JBurton

Signtologist
Yes, I do. Here's what it looks like today...
Since my old post got deleted, hahahaaha! Your coworkers are jerks for surrounding that bathroom. If it were my shop, at some point someone would line up rolls while the bathroom was occupied... Once had a guy ratchet strap a door shut by tying the doorknob to a desk. The guy in the bathroom had a screwdriver on him and took the knob apart!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Since my old post got deleted, hahahaaha! Your coworkers are jerks for surrounding that bathroom. If it were my shop, at some point someone would line up rolls while the bathroom was occupied... Once had a guy ratchet strap a door shut by tying the doorknob to a desk. The guy in the bathroom had a screwdriver on him and took the knob apart!
I don't really have any coworkers. This is my responsibility. Recently I cleaned that up some. I'm almost down to what will fit on the racks.