• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to tell the difference in Vinyl's.

Hello! I have recently moved into a design role were i cut lots of different graphics from vinyl's all day. I am really struggling to figure out the difference between Cast and Calendared vinyl between the brands 3M, Avery and Arlon. My production manager pretty much removes the label once it arrives and stores them all mixed up together.

Does anyone have any tricks or advice to help me??

gabagoo

Tell the production manager to stop doing that... outside of that you can pull a corner and see how much it stretches to determine calendered vs cast

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Print some labels that clearly indicate cast / cal, manufacturer, series, open date, and supplier. (Or some sort of variation of that)

Here is what we came up with. (attached - feel free to use/customize as needed) We'll print sheets of them and just peel and stick when we open a new roll.

Attachments

• Media labels.pdf
    451.6 KB · Views: 278

Stacey K

I like making signs
I do the same as White Haus...my labels are very similar!!! I also have a few shelves and I keep one for cast and one for calendared.

unclebun

Tell the production manager not to waste time removing the labels. They are on the inside of the core and don't impede anything having to do with production.

But if you use the vinyl regularly for a couple of days you will be able to tell the difference quite easily. They have different glossiness, feel, and stretch.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Most media has a label inside the core. If you're still not sure what it is from that, just go to somewhere like Fellers who sells most common vinyls and enter the product number in the search bar. From there you can get all the specs, sell sheets, etc... Like this.

Attachments

• Product label.jpg
    Product label.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09-32-21 Leading Supplier in Signs & Graphics Automotive Films and Eq...png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09-32-21 Leading Supplier in Signs & Graphics Automotive Films and Eq...png
    89.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09-39-00 3M™ 40C 3 Mil 7yr FELLERS.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 09-39-00 3M™ 40C 3 Mil 7yr FELLERS.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 172

signheremd

I echo what the others have said. Easiest is to feel the thinness of Cast, it is also more shiny than Calendared with the exception of Matte colors. I would never store everything jumbled together - wastes time when looking for exactly what you need for any given job. That said, many creative people need chaos and many organized people need creativity... Once you learn brands, you will soon learn their codes and be able to tell from those - for instance Avery SC950 is Super CAST nine year (10 year in white, 8 for some colors) vinyl and their HP750 is High Performance calendared six year vinyl...

DL Signs

Never go against the family
I think my sense of smell is as bad from all the chemicals I've been exposed to as my hearing is from playing drums for 60 years :p

gnubler

Print some labels that clearly indicate cast / cal, manufacturer, series, open date, and supplier. (Or some sort of variation of that)

Here is what we came up with. (attached - feel free to use/customize as needed) We'll print sheets of them and just peel and stick when we open a new roll.
I love this! Going to start doing this. Usually I just stick a receipt/packing slip into the core so I at least know the purchase date.

I keep my cast and calendared rolls on separate racks so there's no confusion.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I make media markers. a piece of .060 HIPS for the "sign" and I use banner tape to adhere that to a "stick" made from ultraboard or foamcore scraps, approx 12" long by about 1.5" wide. I put those in the core, and when that roll is in the printer, the marker sit's in a short core that I have sitting between the two roll-to-roll printers. We all know what media is in the printer. Here is an older image, when my short core was sitting next to the media.

Attachments

• mediamarkers.jpg
    mediamarkers.jpg
    548.1 KB · Views: 171