• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How will this view? Stumped about reflective quality....

LoGl

Hi all...much to my dismay I have to make a banner that the customer wants to be reflective. I haven't used reflective much in the past few years and not for this big of a scale. Here are the specifics:

2'x10' banner. The entire background color will be reflective yellow. A second banner will be reflective orange. Both will have a black border and 2 large lines of type also in black.

Here is my question. If I make the letters also in reflective black...will the sign even read at night or will the entire thing look like a big glaring "whiteout"? And so if I only make the letters out of cut vinyl (non reflective) would it still be readable as though it were reversed out?

Sorry..sounds like a newbie question...just haven't had this lovely opportunity before.
(can you tell I don't want to do this job??)

Thanks all!
Lori

J Hill Designs

I dont think the background being reflective is a good idea - the vinyl will brittle up and be a nightmare in no time.

just my 2cents

JBusch260

I dont think the background being reflective is a good idea - the vinyl will brittle up and be a nightmare in no time.

just my 2cents

+1. Can you elaborate on what this will be used for? Are they going to roll it up and unroll it? Is it going to stay where it is until it needs replaced?

Techman

The idea is to use a reflective banner to display at night. I would assume that anyway.
It will not work as expected.
The angle of reflection is too great unless the banner can be displayed in almost a direct line of sight from the light source.

Billct2

Agree, it sounds like a problem all the way round.
Reflective letters on a reflective background is usually something I avoid
Have either a reflective background or reflective letters, not both.
And if they are going to be rolling and unrolling that banner I see problems, reflective doesn't like bending.

LoGl

It is being used....and yes...I agree, tacky....on the side of a limousine that is parked just off a major roadway. It will only be viewed off to the side as people are driving past it on their right side. I suppose it will be rolled up from time to time (as car is in use).

It is the reflectivity of the message I most am interested in....the rest (wear & tear) he will be advised about for sure.

Anyone have any real experience with this? Let's take away the fact that its a banner.

I would use 3M Scotchlite 680 CR, its a lot more con-formable and less brittle, and you can print on it.......also consider using 3m transparent EC overlay like DOT signs. I think this will achieve the best result for viewing at night.

Baz

You'd be better off using coroplast instead of banner material. This banner will be rolled up, and afterwards when it will be unrolled .. Expect allot of tunnels and then ... cracks.

LoGl

The fact that it is a banner IS the issue...I don't think I would ignore what has already been said. I suppose not having worked with reflective before, you're not aware that the stuff will will snap in half when given the opportunity... in other words even rolling the banner once would probably be enough to ruin it.

I would look into reflective banner stock, or convince your customer to use a rigid sign.

I can appreciate what you are all saying, and I never said I haven't worked with reflective before. And I will do my due diligence. At the end of the day however.....he WANTS reflective. Wether I use x or y surface....I really am kindly asking for any expertise on reflectivity.

All other info is greatly appreciated....but geesh...beat me up here....I get the point.:banghead:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It's very hard to find anymore but there are solvent printable prismatic grade reflective banner stocks out there. Mutoh used to import one under their brand years ago but I forget the name of it. It did work fairly well though. Does not last too very long though, we used it some and outdoors all the time, a banner would start falling apart after about a year.

TammieH

Reflomax

Does not look like its available in the good ol US of A

Mexico

Maybe you could get ....no... never mind LOL