• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you construct this sign?

Rusty Sign

How would you construct this sign? It'll be 10' long and about 4' tall. There are wires underground so the client doesn't want it to be permanently mounted. I'm leaning toward either a metal base or pressure treated wood base. The base will probably be 3' wide at the bottom (so it's stable in the wind) and burried a few inches under the dirt to hide it. Then it will raise up 2' and allow the sign to mount onto it. The rocks will be dry-stacked around the base. I'm not sure if the sign will be aluminum, foam, or MDO plywood? I'd like the red part of the sign to be about 6" thick.

We are a small sign shop in a small town and I'm most comfortable working in wood but I'm excited to learn other 3-D methods. Obviously there are lots more details you would probably like to know... but I'd love to hear how other sign makers would approach this.

Attachments

• BBR photo.jpg
    BBR photo.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 120

kylebrk

Call foamcraft. They'll do the whole thing out of foam. Set four post in concrete, (nothing crazy). Slip the sign over the posts. Anchor the sign in. Boom. Done.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I would make it permanent anyways using a "spread footing". It's only 4' tall. I would call out:

Base would be concrete footing, with block clad in cultured stone. I prefer mowstrips so wayward landscapers avoid picking it off. The block would have the lag bolts grouted in place.

Either concrete cap, or formed aluminum cap.

The top elements would be fabricated aluminum cabinets. Dimensional letters might be PVC, but with the thin stiff going on, most likely acrylic or even aluminum. The other graphics would be minimal cut vinyl, preferably painted lettering using a stencil.

visual800

if they dont want it to be permanently mounted why make such a nice sign?

It would either be permanent as is or you might as well put it on coroplast. I hate to sound negative but who goes through so much trouble on a nice sign and doesnt make a permanent install, underground wires or not.....line locators would help with that. Hope the customer is not jerking your chain

greta looking sign though

signage

not permanent, print it onto a banner! Sounds like a cheap customer, and you most likely wasted more time than they are willing to pay for.

doesn't not permanent mean temporary? And temporary= banner or coroplast!

Last edited:

visual800

not permanent, print it onto a banner! Sounds like a cheap customer, and you most likely wasted more time than they are willing to pay for.

doesn't not permanent mean temporary? And temporary= banner or coroplast!

Ill add this also, I think they are potential timewasters

Rusty Sign

He is actually a really great client that has brought us a lot of work. This is one of about 20 signs that we're doing for the property (nature education organization). Most of the other signs are trail way finding signs.

His concern is that if the utility company had to dig up their lines for some reason then a large footing would be more difficult and costly to replace. Although he's open to anything. I'm just starting to do the research. I'll probably call to locate the utilities today.

I like hearing your ideas! I emailed Foamcraft for quote.

Rick

He is actually a really great client that has brought us a lot of work. This is one of about 20 signs that we're doing for the property (nature education organization). Most of the other signs are trail way finding signs.

His concern is that if the utility company had to dig up their lines for some reason then a large footing would be more difficult and costly to replace. Although he's open to anything. I'm just starting to do the research. I'll probably call to locate the utilities today.

I like hearing your ideas! I emailed Foamcraft for quote.

Signs are put near utilities on a daily basis, it's just the nature of sign installation.. and construction in general. You are assuming repairs will need to be made at that exact spot. When confronted with lines, you either sleeve them, or set the sign back a little more. Digalert can help with locating utilities if there are any issues with placement and utilities.

I personally can't stand foam signs from any manufacture, but if you are not schooled in sign fabrication and construction, it's not a bad way to go... but you keep more money if you are fabricating and if the wayfinding are the same design, they might not match up as well so coordination is key.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Codes will prevent you from doing any of this. If there are lines under there, you can't put anything on top unless they are re-routed and moved to a new location, beforehand.

That's the reason why you call the 800 'dig' number in your area before digging. This also has to do with obtaining permits.

TammieH

I would fabricate the sign using an aluminum composite, using an aluminum frame, Where possible bend the aluminum composite on the ends for strength. Use a combination of rivets and high bond exterior double sided tape.
If you feel that is out of your range, then possibly contract a sign company to build an
aluminum box, I would think it would be a lot less expensive than FoamCraft. Plus light weight and durable.

HulkSmash

Codes will prevent you from doing any of this. If there are lines under there, you can't put anything on top unless they are re-routed and moved to a new location, beforehand.

That's the reason why you call the 800 'dig' number in your area before digging. This also has to do with obtaining permits.

this. Make sure you call to make sure there are no cables there. Also once get a permit to make sure it's appropriated for zoning. That way you don't have to worry about moving it for those reasons in the future.

Rick

You also want to check on setback requirements.

One thing I forgot to mention. Are there frost line issues at that property? If you have them, then a shallow footing will not work. Most areas with frostline will want 36"-48" deep of pier/footing.

Mosh

+ what Gino said call 811. Have you even got a permit for it?.

BTW, a dimensional sign with a stone base would be $3K-$4K and he doen't want it perminant? Am I missing something?

J Hill Designs

all aluminum construction, slide-over red accent, PVC dimensional lettering and accents, cultured stone base.

If ya cant put it there, move it

Rusty Sign

This property is zoned recreational rather than residential or commercial which makes the sign code a little more lenient. I've had an initial meeting with the City about the sign code and I'll be filing for the sign permit next week. It may or may not require a building permit as well. If it does they may want 36" footings (yes we have cold winters here is central WA state). But if it's just placed on the ground it may not require a building permit.

There is a power transformer box (3'x3'x3') about 8' behind the sign. and there are some small water access lids about 2' behind the sign (probably for irrigation). Our idea is that the sign will help hide that ugly transformer box.

I need to ask the power utility company if it's possible to place a sign over wires. If I'm lucky, the wires and water wont be located under the sign location (but I doubt I'll be that lucky).

Yeah, it's a 3.5k sign.

I like the idea of an aluminum slip over for the red part of the sign.