• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How Would You Hang This?

nikdoobs

It's 1.5" thick HDU so these are pretty heavy (about 40-50 .lbs each)

I was thinking 6" Lag Bolts but I'm a little nervous about them pulling out.

attachment.php

Attachments

• The Sizzling Monkey- HDU Pole Sign.jpg
    The Sizzling Monkey- HDU Pole Sign.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 165

CanuckSigns

I assume there is a metal frame inside the sign correct? if so attach your eye bolts to the metal frame. If there is no metal frame, than you made it wrong.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I agree with a form of metal frame. Also I would run guy wires to keep the actual hanger from being able to move side to side at all, and another to support the weight by running from the end of the pole to the building. So in a word, I'd go for it, but no such thing as overkill on something like this hanging above where people walk.

rossmosh

You'll most likely want to run a metal frame around the sign. Then weld an attachment point onto the steel. The only other method I know of it to literally drill through the sign. Insert a threaded rod and at the bottom of the sign have a nut/washer/steel plate which you attach the threaded rod to.

If you really insist on using a lag screw/bolt, you have to drill out a hole, fill it with something like gorilla glue, and then insert your lag. This method works for some and not others. Most would consider it unreliable.

HDU has many positive and many negative attributes. This subject highlights one of the negative attributes. It simply is not designed to be screwed/bolted into.

Billct2

Are you asking about what to hang the sign from the arm with, or what to attache the arm to the building with?
I see a detail for using chain, I prefer a solid strap. And as has been said, a internal or external frame or some form of continuous support is needed.
Thru bolting to the wall is always best, otherwise some serious masonry anchors and some supplemental supports.

Brink

He was asking about attachment to the building. LOL He was good about taking the answers in stride though.

It depends on the building. Cinder block walls, I would use a toggle bolt. Solid concrete, I would use lead anchors with lag bolts. Wood structure with brick face, the lag bolts may pull bricks out of the wall in a serious wind. In that case, try hard to make the sign land on a wall stud and use lag bolts long enough to reach into the stud through the brick. You usually can't just hang something that heavy and that will catch that much wind arbitrarily. The building is usually built with reinforcement at the attach point.

TimToad

That is a really big panel for a shingle type sign and really big for a double sided, routed sign from only a single piece of 1 1/2" thick HDU. If you rout even 3/8" deep on each side which isn't unheard for a sign that size, you'll have less than an inch of thickness at your thinnest points. For something hanging over pedestrian's heads, I'd be uncomfortable knowing that a really strong wind could twist that big of a sign into shattering.

In our area, our codes call for all hanging signs to be through bolted or encased in some kind of framing system that can be through bolted.

We typically laminate two pieces of foam onto an MDO core or tubular aluminum frame and then devise some kind of clip or fastener that goes through the entire works but won't crush the HDU.

7oaks

1.5 in double sided will warp. You need some sort of metal around just to prevent this. HDU will warp.

Ken

ams

If you are worried about the bar being pulled out of the brick, put in large lead anchors and large lag bolts. It won't come out. Also a cable assist is needed for extra protection, because if that thing falls on someone your screwed.