• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you seam this sign?

Thanks for the input, and I had some of the same ideas...maybe fastening two 3mm panels together (Val, I already checked with Sun and they do stock 10x5 sheets of 3mm). Whatever is up there now is probably 1/2" thick and there are metal tabs around the frame creating a channel to hold the panel in place, so whatever I end up using has to fit snugly in the channel. (see this close up image)

Gino - I already quoted running two lift rentals on this job: one to go pull the old panel down and measure, and another to install a new one. The structure itself is over 50 yrs old, and I'm guessing the current sign face is at least 20-25 yrs old based on the looks of it.

On the other side the tabs are screwed on. We'll be cutting them off with a grinder.
Good luck gnubler, nothing like a challenge, eh? Let us know how it turns out and what you learned through this experience.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
On the other side the tabs are screwed on. We'll be cutting them off with a grinder.
So screw them in tighter to match whatever face choice you make. You can do what tex said and skin it with 3mm both sides and move those tabs out. You could skin it with 040 over the old. You're not married to the existing face.

gnubler

We got the old sign down, turned out to be 080" gauge aluminum, not plywood like I thought. That sucker was heavy. I'm using it as a template for a brand new panel - would you recommend going with solid metal again or would 3mm ACM work okay? I have some 3mm 10x5 sheets in stock, easier on our end because I can cut ACM in the shop but metal I have to send out. The sign dimensions are 86x54".

We also cleaned up the entire structure, sanded, primed, and repainted. I'll post final pics once it's all done.

Attachments

• 20210823_110233.jpg
    20210823_110233.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210823_110340.jpg
    20210823_110340.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 129

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You can cut 080 just the same. I'd weld in more vertical supports and stick with 080. I'm surprised that even stayed in there

gnubler

I can't cut 080 at my shop, has to be sent out, but I can handle ACM. The mounting brackets were pretty heavy duty sections of angle iron so it'll sit pretty tight up in the frame.

Dan360

I cut 080 with a skill saw and round corner with jig. You just need decent blades and file the edges afterwards.

We got the old sign down, turned out to be 080" gauge aluminum, not plywood like I thought. That sucker was heavy. I'm using it as a template for a brand new panel - would you recommend going with solid metal again or would 3mm ACM work okay? I have some 3mm 10x5 sheets in stock, easier on our end because I can cut ACM in the shop but metal I have to send out. The sign dimensions are 86x54".

We also cleaned up the entire structure, sanded, primed, and repainted. I'll post final pics once it's all done.
*fist pump, fist pump, Woohoo, congrats! Yes, post pics. Now that we can the inner, there is no support in the center so I still think 6mm would be more rigid than 3, just my 2 cents and .080 is just solid aluminum so can't argue with that but the cost and weight.

gnubler

You could also take two 3mm sheets and stick them together with VHB & Lexel or a two part welding glue.
I'm thinking of going this route, though I'm wondering if the two panels even need to be adhered together. The way they get mounted into the frame is pretty tight and I don't see a benefit to sticking them together. Here's another close up of the side with the removable brackets, there's six total for each edge of the panel. On the other side the brackets are fixed, welded onto the frame.

Attachments

• 20210706_150710.jpg
    20210706_150710.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 104

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm thinking of going this route, though I'm wondering if the two panels even need to be adhered together. The way they get mounted into the frame is pretty tight and I don't see a benefit to sticking them together. Here's another close up of the side with the removable brackets, there's six total for each edge of the panel. On the other side the brackets are fixed, welded onto the frame.
There is no downside other than $20-$30 of cost. It will be sturdier having them bonded together than separated for sure

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what your wind gusts get up to, but around here, they'd blow right the f*ck out on a bad day. 2 pieces of 3mm or 6mm. At that size, too flimsy. Use .040 and pop-rivet it to each side and put the old faces back in. Cripes a small wind will knock down trees. What do ya think it'll do to a 3lb piece of lightweight plastic with a thin facing of aluminum on it ??

Just because you can do it and it's the easy way out, does not equate to being the best way. When you applied for the permits to do this job, did you tell them you were gonna replace it with a lighter than sh!t piece of substrate, not originally designed for the application ??

gnubler

No permit on this one, it's grandfathered in. The previous panel sat up there for 30 years without incident, and now you're suggesting to use an even thinner sheet of metal? Two panels of 3mm ACM stuck together are gonna weigh a heck of a lot more than 6 lbs.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have a situation where the customer wants something light weight sized at 5x10 for a metal building so there's plenty of cross support for screws. I know the 6mm is pretty darn heavy so I was wondering if the 3mm would work. What did you end up doing and how did it work out? I'm hesitant to use the 3mm but I'm concerned about the weight of 6mm. Thanks

gnubler

We ended up using 12 or 13 gauge steel that was cut by a fabricator. It was pretty heavy but that's probably good, it's not going anywhere. ACM of either thickness would have been way too flimsy for my sign, but you should be okay with 3mm if it's going up on a wall.