• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 365 - voltage too high?

Steenland

Old Member
Installing power circuits for a new HP Latex 365. HP specs call for nominal voltage range to be ~200-240 volts.

Supplier says "HP does not allow us to install if voltage is over 240." I'm getting 245 volts, which is pretty common.

I understand that this is a CYA thing for HP, but I don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty.

Has any one else had this issue?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
yea. I haed
Installing power circuits for a new HP Latex 365. HP specs call for nominal voltage range to be ~200-240 volts.

Supplier says "HP does not allow us to install if voltage is over 240." I'm getting 245 volts, which is pretty common.

I understand that this is a CYA thing for HP, but I don't want to take a chance on voiding the warranty.

Has any one else had this issue?
I had this issue. The actual issue is when the voltage spikes (?). That was the way I understood it. So I put a surge protector on the breaker box. An electrician will have to come out and put it on for you. It cost me around $125 to do it.

Reveal1

Spikes are transient (short duration) increases or decreases in voltage. If you want protection from overvoltage (severe overvoltage surge of longer duration) you need a surge protector or preferably one that also conditions the power from transients which most commercial grade surge protectors do. If you need protection from severe undevoltage (sag) you need a sag eliminator or surge protector/UPS with undervoltage shutdown or sag protection. The trick will be that the HP requires two individual 220 circuits so each needs separate protection or protection at the box.

greysquirrel

He's getting 245...if that is consistent then then a surge protector won't work...its not a spike or surge its his current voltage... buck boost transformer is $300-$400 add it before a sub panel then run both lines from sub panel separately

Reveal1

Admittedly out of my area of expertise, but I think I would first be conversing w/ power company if getting that as steady voltage.

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
There are many components like drives that can be pretty delicate. Usually, +/- 10% is common. For larger pricier units this range is usually wanted in the +/- 5% range.
You will find that the investment in the transformers to be well spent to protect your equipment.
Several hundred dollars up front will save you several thousand later on.

Steenland

Old Member
Thanks for the feedback. I'm getting a steady 245 volts, not spikes.

Waiting to hear back from the power company as to whether they can adjust the incoming voltage. If not, I will install buck/boost transformers. Looking at Acme Electric T181051 (though I haven't talked to my electrician yet, so he may have another preference).

I had a conversation with a Tripp-Lite sales tech who confirmed that a surge suppressor or line conditioner (such as the Tripp-Lite LR2000) will not help in this situation.

Last edited:

netsol

steenland
I would expect a location like yours to be getting power stepped down from a BIG transformer
it seems you and I have crossed paths about this issue before
for a commercial location, the power company, or your electrician, should be able to move a tap on a stepdown transformer.

zspace

Premium Subscriber
The HP printers are sensitive to voltage. We had to put in a buck boost for our HP 360 and HP 570 after the third board replacement. Power here runs 240 with regular surges. We haven’t had an issue since adding the buck boost. That was a few years ago and they didn’t check power at installation since we had run Epson, Seiko, mimaki, mutoh and old HP solvent printers without issues.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Just clarifying the Buck Boost conversation with a Wikipedia Link, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buck–boost_transformer

Buckboostransformer2.jpg

Steenland

Old Member
I have a quick question - does anyone know if this can work for the HP365? I'm looking to add some protection for the printer from any voltage spikes or fluctuations

Tripp Lite Isobar 4 Outlet 230V Surge Protector

I can't help you regarding the Tripp Lite surge protector. Our problem wasn't spikes and fluctuations, it was a consistent voltage reading of 245, too high for the L365. We solved the problem by installing an Acme Electric T181050 Buck-Boost Transformer on each of the two lines. The printer's been working fine.

JoeMedia

JoeMedia

We had the same problem with our HP 360. The fix was to buck down as many mentioned. We were at 248 out which blew the board. I believe we bucked down to 220 and all is good now. Keep in mind you need 2 transformers. I think this is what we used:
I’ll be in our shop tomorrow and can take a picture of the transformers we used.