• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 800 upgrade to Canon Colorado 1650

Shariff

Hey we have been using the HP Latex 800 and are planning to upgrade to the Canon Colorado 1650, one of our concerns is the price of the print heads.
If anyone has changed the print heads recently kindly let us know the price.

victor bogdanov

Get a quote on the printer from Canon to see all the prices. The heads are $3k-4k each depending on service contract you go with. While the cost seems high, the printhead/sqft price is pretty low and people report 500k+ sq/ft with no head change. I'm at about 400k sq/ft, heads are still perfect. I think most will get a printehead cost of about 3 cents per sq/ft

vapor103

Not impressed with the Canon all the hype of printing 1000+ sqft an hour and the Canon tech himself can't keep it dialed in to run that fast. Your going to get about 350 to 400sqft printing speed on banner and slower on other materials. Having 2 800 or adding a epson 80600l is what I would recomend. You have the capability to run to different jobs at once and if one goes down your still printing not stuck in the mud waiting for Canon tech. 2 hp 800 are faster then Canon for less money. And epson is by far higher quality then the hp or the Canon. When we sell product from all three everyone that buys loves epson and hp over Canon on quality of the print. Canon is only running banner at this time other wise it just set there. And both epson and hp do banner just as well or better than the Canon. You could always have hp or epson make you on a deal for 3to4 printers since they are close to cost on the Canon once the epson or hp make that deal.

parrott

On week 1 of running our 1650. I really like this machine but it is not as fast as I would have hoped. Granted, I have not had a chance to completely dial it in. Still building profiles and testing where we want to be on day to day production.

It is definitely a more expensive machine but I feel like the quality of the machine and engineering backs up the price. It seems much more industrial and built for production. HP machines seem like such plastic junk. Still have a 360 and it still runs but the build of those machines is a joke. Nothing but plastic parts and error messages.

Time will tell on the Colorado. Pretty happy after week 1. I would imagine we will only fine tune it and gain ground going forward.

If you can afford this printer, replace your HP. Ask about upgrades. The matte/glossy effect slows down printing at the same time, but it's really impressive.
As a service engineer with a lot of experience with both brands, I can say that they are very different in favor of the Colorado.
The heads are expensive indeed, but that shouldn't bother you. They are very healthy. You can charge the printer, print, and go home in peace. Extremely well made. I can't say that about the latexes. They still have some drama, and thermal heads are outdated. In practice, they are again a Canon development. Bubble jet technology from 30+ years ago.
Long since discarded.
Latex looks like a child's toy compared to Colorado. So many plastic parts, gears, etc. Latex is not bad for some small copy shop.
This is of course my opinion and I am not binding anyone on it.

Megagrafix

President
Not impressed with the Canon all the hype of printing 1000+ sqft an hour and the Canon tech himself can't keep it dialed in to run that fast. Your going to get about 350 to 400sqft printing speed on banner and slower on other materials. Having 2 800 or adding a epson 80600l is what I would recomend. You have the capability to run to different jobs at once and if one goes down your still printing not stuck in the mud waiting for Canon tech. 2 hp 800 are faster then Canon for less money. And epson is by far higher quality then the hp or the Canon. When we sell product from all three everyone that buys loves epson and hp over Canon on quality of the print. Canon is only running banner at this time other wise it just set there. And both epson and hp do banner just as well or better than the Canon. You could always have hp or epson make you on a deal for 3to4 printers since they are close to cost on the Canon once the epson or hp make that deal.
How about the ink cost differential?

OK. I won't argue with you. Buy what you think is best for you.
But if speed is so important to you, buy three latex printers and you're done. You will always have at least one working. I hope :).

victor bogdanov

OK. I won't argue with you. Buy what you think is best for you.
But if speed is so important to you, buy three latex printers and you're done. You will always have at least one working. I hope :).
I'm happy printing wallpaper at 600sq ft per hr, perfect panel length and color consistency. All I see is panel length and color consistency complaints from latex users trying to print wallpaper. Ive had 0 downtime in a year/400k sq/ft of using the Colorado.

No temperature, no distortion. Monkey in, monkey out.
Over the years I've heard a constant backlash against latex. Expensive, hot, waiting, etc. When you offer something really good, then it's expensive, the expectation is that it washes, dries, cleans, cooks and hangs the laundry. There is no pleasing.

But at the end of the day, no one can convince me that even technically the two technologies have anything in common.
A bit like silver. We can't afford gold, so we wear silver because it was the year of silver.

I don't know Epson.

ikarasu

3x latex printers vs 1 Colorado?

So you're using 3x the heads and now your head price just skyrocketed.
.you also have to have 3x the consumables on hand.... Load 3 rolls of material, so the labor is more... 3x the wear and tear, 3x the power requirements...3x the space.... Well, 2ish times since Colorado is pretty big. 3x the yearly service contracts... 3x more wasted ink in maintenance / cleanings... 3x.more downtimes when you need to swap a head, etc.

I'm not advocating for Colorado since I've never used one. But operating cost on 3 machines is going to be way, way more expensive than on one machine. Obviously having 1 machine would be better financial wise - assuming the one machine is a good machine... And I've heard nothing but good things about the 1650 so far. It's on my want list of I ever out grow my Epson!

Absolutely correct.
There is another interesting element here. We don't sell you anything and it doesn't matter to us what printer you choose.
Yes. 1640 was a disaster. 1650 will make you happy. You'll have a printer you can rely on, not a plastic toy that you never know when you'll ruin expensive media, etc.

You'll be able to load two rolls, run a print, and do something else.
Here are no problems with pumps, with ink chips, with plastic gears, with curling of the media from the drying temperature. There are no bump-killed heads or a 1 liter guarantee for each head after which no one knows.
The heads are a Canon development. The inks are perfect and don't clog the heads. Just don't turn off the printer and you'll be fine.
The printer can be connected to the On Remote System and monitored by your provider.
If an ink is near to run out of warranty, you can refill with a new one and extend the old one's warranty. The printer will not stop you from printing.

The printer has a "climate system" that maintains a constant temperature in the print chamber. You also have heating on the print plate. The entire fuselage is metal.
Electronics and the whole printer in general lead us to precision sheetfed machines from OCE/Canon.
I can't get any service experience with these printers because they just don't die like latex printers. You will change the firmware only if needed.
There is no a lot of versions every two months.

If needed you can connect to your Colorado to cutting system from Fotoba, and can make wallpapers. The result in the end will be rolled wallpaper with code.
Ready for export.
You can buy also 1630. This is 1650 with 4 heads and software bans. When you ready to invest more money you can pay and will have 1650 from your 1630.

But in the end ... you may have provider and can hear all of this from this company in details.

Last edited:

Shariff

Thanks a lot for positive reply on Canon Colorado 1650,
we have had very very bad experience in HP latex 800w, pattern mismatch put 1 to 2 inches, due to dimension stability had to replace 4000 sqft wallpaper. heard ear full from client.
we have printed 150K from past 6 months.. almost 15k has been replaced till now,
be careful before buying HPlatex new generation printer Lx700 and Lx800, even if you print on 12 pass, once you change the roll, patterns will not match..
Print two panel in one roll, remove the roll, and print one more panel in different roll, these will pattern never match..

Zhivko Yanakiev

Hi Shariff.
I don't think you should bother about the ph, especially if you are buying a new machine. This thing is build to last. I believe that when the time for ph replacement comes they will have paid off. One thing you should consider is that every time you put fresh ink in the machine it takes its date of expire plus the one of the ink you have in the system and calculates another one that differs from what you have on the ink label. My advice is not to overstock with ink because you might end up with ink containters which you can't use.
I am operating with both, Latex 800W and Colorado 1650, for a bit over 2 years and I am facing the machines' differences on a daily basis. I would describe the HP's build quality as mediocre. But it works...somehow. The 1650, on the other hand, might easily outlive this and probably the next two Latex generations :). From my experience so far there are two things where the 1650 fails compared to the Latex 800. 1. It can't print good black. By good black I mean dark, dense, pitch black. 2. The ink is supposed to withstand 80% strech but it can't. It cracks. However it is amazing how much it does sterch for a UV ink. So unless you print a lot of car wrap vinyls, as we do, you should not worry about No2.
Regarding the mismatch you talk about, you will not have that problem with the 1650. When we talk about large prints splitted in several places the size match is astonishing. Also not to forget - no color distortions thanks to the stable environment under the hood.
So, for wallprints, I think, the 1650 would be a very good choise.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Hi Shariff.
I don't think you should bother about the ph, especially if you are buying a new machine. This thing is build to last. I believe that when the time for ph replacement comes they will have paid off. One thing you should consider is that every time you put fresh ink in the machine it takes its date of expire plus the one of the ink you have in the system and calculates another one that differs from what you have on the ink label. My advice is not to overstock with ink because you might end up with ink containters which you can't use.
I am operating with both, Latex 800W and Colorado 1650, for a bit over 2 years and I am facing the machines' differences on a daily basis. I would describe the HP's build quality as mediocre. But it works...somehow. The 1650, on the other hand, might easily outlive this and probably the next two Latex generations :). From my experience so far there are two things where the 1650 fails compared to the Latex 800. 1. It can't print good black. By good black I mean dark, dense, pitch black. 2. The ink is supposed to withstand 80% strech but it can't. It cracks. However it is amazing how much it does sterch for a UV ink. So unless you print a lot of car wrap vinyls, as we do, you should not worry about No2.
Regarding the mismatch you talk about, you will not have that problem with the 1650. When we talk about large prints splitted in several places the size match is astonishing. Also not to forget - no color distortions thanks to the stable environment under the hood.

Those are 2 complaints I don't think I've heard before. Have you spoken to Canon about your concerns? Are you running custom profiles?

Shariff

Hi Shariff.
FYI we primially use type 2 fabric back wallcovering,
20 oz. (457g/m2) Type II - (very similar to this)

Zhivko Yanakiev

Those are 2 complaints I don't think I've heard before. Have you spoken to Canon about your concerns? Are you running custom profiles?
Yup. That was discussed with Canon. This I have to underline: Canon have impressive customer service. But unfortunately, regarding both issues that is the reality.
We are using profiles from Canon's media guide, except one, which was made during one of Canon's visitations and achieved acceptable results with the black but still not as good as the one we get from the Latex.

Shariff

we also have another concern, as we using a very similar media with these specfication (20 oz. (457g/m2) Type II), if there is a media crash will the ph get damaged.

Zhivko Yanakiev

we also have another concern, as we using a very similar media with these specfication (20 oz. (457g/m2) Type II), if there is a media crash will the ph get damaged.
I would say that this depends a lot on the print speed and, generaly said, any media crash, no matter what the print media is, can potentially damage the ph. But this question is a bit like how bad you will be injured if a car hits you when you cross the street. And whatever answer you get you will still cross the streets :)