• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huge Project, Need Advice

sahmed

Hello everyone!

I'm a new member today, actually made an account specifically to use the search functions because I have some questions, and it seems people here have answers.

Before I get started, I need to warn this will be a LONG post. There's a lot to talk about so those who make it to the end, I thank you in advance. As I said, I did search the forums but after a few hours some questions still remain.

I'm a student intern at an architecture firm, but have a passion for graphic design. Last year when I was first brought on, I flexed a little graphic muscle with some design documents. Most of the people in this firm have never even opened Illustrator, so they were pretty impressed and assigned me the development of environmental graphics and wayfinding (go ahead and google, I'll wait) for an enormous high school project. After a summer of development, the graphics were presented to the school board (who responded with universal acclaim) and the project went to bid. The PM specified use of digitally printed high pressure laminate panels mounted on 1" furred MDF for almost everything. I guess price was not a concern to the board which is nice considering durability of HPL is not a concern to me.

Fast forward to this year and I'm developing graphics for another huge project, this time a middle school. This time around the budget is very much a concern and I'm trying to strike a good balance of costs, durability/ease of maintenance, and graphic quality. There are huge portions of graphics that really bring the spaces to life, and as you can imagine, graphics at that scale aren't cheap. As it currently sits, there's going to be three main feature walls. Each wall is 30' tall and have some sort of wall graphic applied in the form of vertical stripes that run up the whole wall height. There are 5 stripes per wall, and each stripe is 48" wide. There are other graphics all throughout the building but these are the most problematic...

The graphics are well within reach of the children, and we're talking middle schoolers, so durability is definitely an issue. If I had my way, I'd just fur out MDF with printed HPL panels like last year, but that is exponentially more costly than what the district is willing to spend, and trying to pitch that idea would likely result in the graphics getting thrown out of the project all together. My next thought was to use some sort of vinyl, but the walls will be made of CMU (cinderblock), limiting my product selection to textured wall wraps. Which is fine! What's more, those sizes would make perfect use of a 48"x150' roll of vinyl, reducing waste. I could totally work with that, but... But do please think of the children! These images need to withstand an army of pubescent boys and girls, a veritable hurricane of fingernails, backpacks, pencils, hormones and angst. I don't doubt an anti-graffiti overlaminate would suffice but I'm concerned with edge conditions. So my first question then is:

Can vinyl edges be made teen proof? Is there some product, installation method, or pagan ritual that will protect these vinyl edges from prying fingernails? Even mechanical protection in the form of PVC trim caps are an option.

The images I have developed are fairly simple. Lots of basic geometric forms, halftone screens, solid colors, simple fonts, and seeing as I'm working in Illustrator, everything is vector. Considering the fairly simple geometry and limited color range (there's also no gradients), I don't think photographic digital printing to be the most cost effective printing option. I'd like to get these files contour cut, which leads to my next question:

Can contour cut and laminated vinyls be mounted directly to textured surfaces like a painted CMU wall? Does anyone make such a product?
Keep in mind this building has not even gone to bid, so at the time of installation everything will be brand spanking new, plumb, flat(ish), entirely off-gassed, and clean.

Also, seeing as I'm making these vector files, I have complete control over their composition and colors. Since we will be bidding this project to a general contractor, who will then bid the graphics to a sub-contractor, I have close to no idea which producer will end up making my graphics. But I can still try and optimize to keep costs down regardless, que my next question:

What is more expensive to produce, complicated geometry or additional colors? What are some other ways to optimize my files for reduced productions costs? For instance, if I'm looking for a secondary color between two other primary colors, is it cheaper to "dither" the secondary color out of the two primary colors using a halftone screen (lots of little dots of both primary colors) or would the added cutting costs for all those little dots far outweigh the price of the additional vinyl color? I realize this may be a hard question to answer without seeing the artwork, if requested I can get a sample up eventually.

Last but not least:
Do you professionals have any other suggestions for systems that might work in this application? Something cheap but durable? Are there rigid board options I'm missing that are economical?

Alright, that's all I got. Go ahead and crack a brew, you earned it after reading all that. If any of you took the time to actually think about this, know I am extremely grateful. I look forward to hearing from you folks and seeing this school made a better place for these kids. Cheers!

Billct2

From your description (but without actually seeing the design) I would suggest painting the design directly on the wall. A good wall dog can do what you are describing, of course the halftones would be rendered as fades, no dots.

Nuagedesigns

If these graphics are to be permanent you can also use a clear liquid sealer or acrylic to roll on after application to protect the surface as well as the edges.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
what has the sign shop you've contacted suggested for materials?
If only the self-proclaimed design experts would actually pay attention to those suggestions.
(Please note, I'm not saying the OP would do that- just that, in my experience, designers ignore those suggestions like they'd been offered by the cleaning staff.)

rossmosh

I skimmed, so my advice may not be 100% accurate but.....

You're a designer. Your job is to come up with the design, render it, and figure out what it should look like. That's it. After it's all said and done, let the sign shop spec out what materials to use. Why? Because it's what they do every day. Feel free to ask questions like "what's the durability? Why do you like this material? Are there any more cost effective options? Are there any higher end options? Is there any way to make this presentation more effective?"

Now you're opening a dialog and learning. Once you do enough projects, you can start making material suggestions.

As for your project, what's the simplest solution you can think of? Move the graphics 6-7' off the ground. Now you don't have to worry about people constantly touching them.

sahmed

From your description (but without actually seeing the design) I would suggest painting the design directly on the wall. A good wall dog can do what you are describing, of course the halftones would be rendered as fades, no dots.

Good suggestion, we had played with the possibility of painting. Unfortunately part of the design feature is the intentional use of halftones. One solution we had thought of was to paint the simpler and larger swathes, then apply the more complex graphic elements as an overlay with clear field transparency. The only issue with this is I have yet to come across a textured wall wrap product that is also transparent.

If these graphics are to be permanent you can also use a clear liquid sealer or acrylic to roll on after application to protect the surface as well as the edges.

Good suggestion, thank you!

If only the self-proclaimed design experts would actually pay attention to those suggestions.
(Please note, I'm not saying the OP would do that- just that, in my experience, designers ignore those suggestions like they'd been offered by the cleaning staff.)

I skimmed, so my advice may not be 100% accurate but.....

You're a designer. Your job is to come up with the design, render it, and figure out what it should look like. That's it. After it's all said and done, let the sign shop spec out what materials to use. Why? Because it's what they do every day. Feel free to ask questions like "what's the durability? Why do you like this material? Are there any more cost effective options? Are there any higher end options? Is there any way to make this presentation more effective?"

Now you're opening a dialog and learning. Once you do enough projects, you can start making material suggestions.

As for your project, what's the simplest solution you can think of? Move the graphics 6-7' off the ground. Now you don't have to worry about people constantly touching them.

You both are correct. I understand the responsibility for these products and their installation does not fall squarely on my shoulders. I also recognize people in the industry will have much greater experience and knowledge to draw from than a designer, and have been in contact with a few local enterprises that have been contracted for similar jobs on our projects before. Unfortunately they've offered little towards specific solutions other than "oh yeah edge picking could be an issue" and "I'm sure there's a product like that out there somewhere".

Please keep in mind my expertise and responsibility is as an architect. Looking for and solving problems early in the project is part of my job. If I can expect an issue (kids picking at graphics) it is my responsibility to do some research and solve it, for the sake of the clients, the users, our reputation, the builders, and the budget. Please do not think I intend to condescend! I do appreciate everyone's input, after all, I did take the time to make an account and post for opinions :wink: