• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion I can't figure it out.............................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In the picture below, the large letters are 48" tall with about a 14" stroke. The smaller letters are 15", maybe 16" tall. Didn't get a good read on it.

We're supposed to remove everything and put CHINA BUFFET back up with a 3' x 12' box sign above it where JUMBO now is. All LED. The smaller copy is not going back up at all. Everything is on a raceway (except the box sign).

Here is my question........ in anyone's professional opinion, can this all be removed, new put back up along with all the wall patchwork for under 10k ??

jumbo.jpg

:thankyou: Gino

Billct2

I wouldn't think so. Unless the China Buffet can stay where it is, add the new sign above and remove the rest.
And does patching mean just filling/blocking the holes? Because the wall is gonna look like crap without a full repaint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All new letters for CHINA BUFFET and a new 3' x 12' box sign. They want to put a picture in there. In addition, the wall is failing around the CHI in existing sign. It's about 4" lower as the bolts have broken loose. I'd be responsible for patching all the holes that remain with as close a color as I could muster up. It will look like sh!t when finished. Hopefully the mall will have it repainted, but not by me. Don't do walls, not a house painter.

Christian @ 2CT Media

All new letters for CHINA BUFFET and a new 3' x 12' box sign. They want to put a picture in there. In addition, the wall is failing around the CHI in existing sign. It's about 4" lower as the bolts have broken loose. I'd be responsible for patching all the holes that remain with as close a color as I could muster up. It will look like sh!t when finished. Hopefully the mall will have it repainted, but not by me. Don't do walls, not a house painter.
With that information, I would say no then as that has beyond normal touch-up or repairs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd call my favorite painter and start with a quote to patch and paint the whole wall. If he will do it for 2k, then it looks like you may eek out the cabinet and reinstallation. Odds are at least one face off of the existing sign will break during the process, so figure that into cost as well.
I find painters quote stuff way under what I'd figure on my guys doing it for, and I hardly ever have them come back on a bid to say they needed more paint or anything of the sort.

Not sure, but evidently, I'm not making myself clear.

The two words CHINA BUFFET are ALL new faces, new LEDs, new jewelite, new 5" returns, new backs, new raceways and all new wiring. All the old stuff comes down and thrown away. All of it. A completely new 3' x 12' box sign with LEDs will go above where the word JUMBO is presently. All holes are filled and painted. The aesthetics of the wall is none of my concern. That is an owner's responsibility.​

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A company which quoted $9,000 to do everything. I was almost double that. I couldn't believe my eyes when he wrote me telling me the other price. I could see I could be off and maybe someone do it for 13k or 14k, you know, someone that really needed cigarette money, but 9k...... it's gotta be a pack of rats flying under the radar.

There's no way this is gonna be up to code or using good LEDs and other components..... not for 9k.​

fresh

yeah, that is insanely low.

a few months ago I had a school request a quote for Qty 300 lawn signs for their graduating seniors, i quoted $4.16 each with stepstakes. A day later, the person calls back saying "I just got a quote for 2.40 each, can you match that?" I talked to her and explained that price is insanely low, particularly since it included stepstakes (the cheapest i've ever seen is about $.54 each, and you'd need to purchase 72 boxes of 50 to get that price.) So she confirmed it was an apples to apples quote and I told her GOOD LUCK! They also quoted doing individual portrait signs for $4.50 each. Are you kidding me? I'm not setting up 300 files, printing them, etc, for $4.50 each. no way.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, they'll probably come back and say there is a set up fee for each one. Or a shipping charge.

Jester

Slow is Fast
I'm not setting up 300 files, printing them, etc
You could throw all the individual student's photos into a directory, copy and paste the directory listing into a CSV file, and use your RIP's variable data capability to print them using a single artwork file.

ThatGuy

We would be around 15k for that work. This does not include any repair work to wall. I would offer the wall repair as an upgrade option & outsource it.

On a side note... We have run into the same low ball pricing lately. Larger companies which are usually higher than us have been quoting jobs at cost. This only lasted a few weeks before going back to normal. I believe they were scared and just trying to keep employees busy. Turn enough to pay the bills with no profit.