• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion I can't stand my accountant...

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Then get a new one.

A few years back we left a year end meeting with our accountant. Just a sit down to go over the year and do some basic tax planning. I left the meeting feeling great about our business. It wasn't a particularly profitable year, but we grew just a little.

I had a similar experience planning out our buy/sell partner agreement with our attorney a few months later. I left the meeting feeling great about what we had accomplished. He helped us get on the same page, and get something done.

I have had plenty of negative experiences with business professionals, accountants, attorneys, insurance agents, consultants, etc. One thing I'll never do again is hire someone that I don't enjoy talking to. Especially as a very small business owner, it's easy to forget that we pay these people for their time and advice. Not the other way around. We need to trust them, and enjoy speaking with them. We need to feel like we gained something from the interaction. It seems so obvious to me now, but it wasn't obvious to me starting out. If you're dreading speaking to your accountant this year, and it's not just because she calculates your taxes, you should find someone new.

Good luck today!

Goatshaver

I need to find a new one. Last tax season I left a note with two questions on it about expenses, never got an answer. Just recently I emailed them asking for guidance on buying a vehicle and the same thing, no response. These were not hard questions so I'm a little baffled why they couldn't just give me an answer.

Johnny Best

I went through some accountants years ago and finally found a great one where I hardly pay any taxes. All he says to me is "Cash is King!". I don't like people yammering to me when I am working so I do not talk to him and just say "thank you" when I sign the forms to be sent off to the IRS.
Firesprint, is she the one who told you to out and beat the bushes for more year end work to meet your quota for the year?

FireSprint.com

Haha

No, that was totally self imposed. Just a personal goal that turned into a team goal.

We're darn close!

CanuckSigns

I went through some accountants years ago and finally found a great one where I hardly pay any taxes. All he says to me is "Cash is King!". I don't like people yammering to me when I am working so I do not talk to him and just say "thank you" when I sign the forms to be sent off to the IRS.
Firesprint, is she the one who told you to out and beat the bushes for more year end work to meet your quota for the year?
Your accountant tells you to accept cash to avoid paying taxes?

FireSprint.com

Doesn't yours?

Im kidding, as I think Johnny is as well.

Or simply referring to cash payments rather than terms or credit cards...

Last edited: