• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I got a file that needs converted to curves

thewood

I've said it before: This is the Signs101 2007 Tip of the Year. I use this all the time now and have passed it on to other folks, also. Anyone second my nomination?

EDIT: Oops! Make that '06 Tip of the Year.

particleman

The Vector Doctor, that may well be one of the most helpful post I've read in a while. We run into this issue daily. I will try this trick at work, looks like it works well though on the test file.

THANKS!

LMSigns24

1. Create a new file, any size will do.

2. Click on File -> Place and select the pdf file. The dialog box will show link and template. Checkmark on Link but DO NOT check template. Click OK

3. The file should display with the bounding box around it. Now click on object -> flatten transparency in the menu. You will get another dialog box to come up. Make sure raster/vector balance is set to 100% vectors. Also check "convert all text to outlines". All other checked boxes are not of great concern when it is the missing font you are after. I have attached a screen shot of the "flatten transparency settings. Click OK.

4. YOU'RE DONE! You now have a pdf file and you did not need the fonts in order to open. IMPORTANT: Keep in mind that this does not help you out if you want to edit the text. If that is needed, then you must buy the font. This simply allows you to open up pdfs without having the necessary fonts installed.

5. The only thing left may be a bounding box that you can remove. In Illustrator, I click on the direct selection tool (shortcut A on keyboard). Drag across the bounding box only. Hit delete twice, and that is now gone.

Fred, maybe you can put this up somewhere as a tutorial.

Yup, this worked out great for me and got the job done!

Rooster

Actually it will not unless the file was saved with using the "embed fonts for other applications" button clicked. If it wasn't clicked when the file was saved then there's no information about the font in the file other than a reference to it.

Printing to a .prn or .ps file and then opening that file in illustrator works great for turning fonts into vectors as well.

KevSign

Here is what I found online, It work great.

"I dunno why they made it difficult to do, but a work-around that I use almost daily is to add a transparent watermark, which then lets me apply the "convert text / strokes to outline" feature.

Step 1- Document > Watermark > Add
Add a simple watermark, with 0% opacity.

Step 2- Advanced > Print Production > Flattener Preview
You can now select the option to convert text and strokes to outlines, and apply it.

Step 3- Export as an Encapsulated PostScript files (or EPS to the rest of us).

When you open the EPS in Illustrator, all the text is now outlines. This is great when someone sends you a PDF with obscure fonts, and you have to edit the file in Illustrator and export to another file type (something really common when collaborating on logo designs for stationary or imprinted goods).

The geometry for the transparent watermark will be there, so you may need to search for it to delete it (or just ignore it, if it's not a big deal to you)"

Hope that helps!
Kevsign

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The review of InDesign CS5 at PC Magazine said the application will open and temporarily install embedded fonts not found on the computer and allow the user to make changes to text. The fonts are then uninstalled when the document is closed. I don't know if this is just for .INDD files or if it will work with .PDF and .AI files. I also don't know if Illustrator CS5 has the same feature. Seems pretty interesting nonetheless.

Too bad I need a new computer system for this stuff to work well. I'm considering the Master Collection CS5 upgrade, but the Production Studio portion of it is 64-bit only requiring a 64-bit operating system.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
BUMP. After upgrading my license to Adobe Master Collection CS 5.5 I had to try the font trick with InDesign. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. InDesign will do just like Illustrator and substitute any missing fonts with a default font like Myriad Pro. This goes for imported PDFs as well as InDesign .INDD documents.

Anyone else have INDD CS 5.5 and know about this type trick and how to make it work.

MikePro

Here is what I found online, It work great.

"I dunno why they made it difficult to do, but a work-around that I use almost daily is to add a transparent watermark, which then lets me apply the "convert text / strokes to outline" feature.

Step 1- Document > Watermark > Add
Add a simple watermark, with 0% opacity.

Step 2- Advanced > Print Production > Flattener Preview
You can now select the option to convert text and strokes to outlines, and apply it.

Step 3- Export as an Encapsulated PostScript files (or EPS to the rest of us).

When you open the EPS in Illustrator, all the text is now outlines. This is great when someone sends you a PDF with obscure fonts, and you have to edit the file in Illustrator and export to another file type (something really common when collaborating on logo designs for stationary or imprinted goods).

The geometry for the transparent watermark will be there, so you may need to search for it to delete it (or just ignore it, if it's not a big deal to you)"

Hope that helps!
Kevsign

came across this sticky, and decided it was worth elaborating on this fix.
it DOES work and it is through Adobe Acrobat Professional.
I use it all the time.
elaborated on this youtube video:

miker

wow...super old post but I will confirm that the Acrobat Pro watermark trick works also. I use it at least 10 times a week.

SqueeGee

I know this is an old thread but I had to refer back to it today and wanted to express my thanks again to Eric(aka Vector Doctor) for posting it. And also thanks to Fred for supplying a great way to find and retrieve this info in just a few moments.