• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I just won a bid and need advice! HELP :)

gnemmas

Your estimate is obvious out of wack. Here is my 2¢:

1. Climb the ladder, measure and re-measure, aren't you "guarantee to fit"?

2. with your small plotter, for a simple layout, you can apply the translucent vinyl first, then use a pattern or cheap vinyl overlay on the face, hand cut out the translucent vinyl.

$1300 will cover your material cost, all the time and labor will be your tuition for the sign maker school of hard knocks.

Circleville Signs

Just saw your post about using measurements from another sign shop....

Let me tell you a little story (and I'm sure others here have had this happen).

A sign shop in our area REGULARLY gives measurements to the client that are anywhere from 1/4" - 2" off all the way around. Why? So if they don't get the job, and someone else uses their measurements, that person is SCREWED.

And since you gave a 3 year warranty on Polycarb (big no-no) and gauranteed a fit (another big no-no unless you got the exact measurements yourself), I'd say not only are you screwed here, but realistically, you might be getting double penetrated.

appstro

My supplier is Sabic Polymershapes in San Diego. Ask for Michael. He's a great friend and I have been a customer for many years. He will always get you the best price. :)

Billct2

Here's a little hint... never give the exact cut size of the panel in the estimate.
How do you know that size is accurat? And again, did you open the sign to see
what the exact cut size was? Unless you are very familar with electric signs estimating
the sign face size without actually opening the box can be hazardous to your profit.

appstro

I realize that the other estimate given was not accurate. My estimate was 8 foot x 3 foot on the building signs. I will have them climb up and take off one side to measure the actual polycarbonate. I have done about 5 light box signs now. Nothing this far up in the air before though. Everyone in this area uses polycarbonate. Sabic has HUGE rolls of it just for the sign guys.

So I am thinking that everyone here would charge at least $500.00 for each sheet, right?

petesign

I'd be at about $2500 for the job, delivered. If you are replacing panels, I would make them give me the old ones to measure from before I cut down the sheets of lexan, otherwise you are going to need to get a lift and go out and measure them yourself (figure in another 400-500 for the lift if you have to do that) You can buy the sheets at 4x8 and have your supplier make the cuts for you. Don't cut them yourself using a jigsaw.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you've been scolded enough to know not to put the cart before the horse, so other than not finding a skateboard..... have you learned any valuable insight other than pricing ??

appstro

Well I am pretty new to signs. I started doing them about 2 years ago. Alot of jobs I have done just for experience and made the customer pay for materials. I DO wish that I had some way to price correctly. Its very frustrating not knowing what to charge. I try to add all my costs in and sometimes even add 20 percent to get a little more. I quoted $400.00 for window vinyl for 4 windows a few weeks back and the guy went to someone else! I thought that was cheap. I want to be successful. Honestly though, my ebay store does better than my local sign business does. Word of mouth is slow, advertising is insane, and customers are cheap. I appreciate your help guys and really do like this forum as I have learned alot. You have saved my *** today and I am grateful :)

So knowing the cost of the polycarbonate, can someone do a breakdown of the job cost and profit so I can know going forward what I should charge. I saw the post for $20 SF. Is that accurate? Anyone from California reading this?

OlsonSigns601

Well your price is really low especially for San Diego, but I don't think you're going to loose money. You should be able to at have enough left over to buy your self lunch to think about it.

However I wouldn't have agreed to do seemless and 24" seems are pretty common and not as noticeable as one would think on a translucent sheet.

I've attached what my quote would be but keep in mind San Diego cost should be a considerable amount more. Mind you there is no Design Time Included and its assuming one color using Translucent Vinyls.

I think your options are to decline the job or just hurry up and get it over with, but if the requirement was to have a seemless cut, you're pretty much screwed.

I also don't think calling you names or making puns is going to help you, so I will just say, we've all made mistakes and I make them all the time.

Attachments

• Invoice-2933-115799.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 96

appstro

Oh and this is not very relevant but to give you an idea how silly pricing is around here. I started out charging $8 SF for banners with hem and grommets. I was just out priced yesterday by some idiot doing them for $2.00 a SF So now I do banners for $4.00 SF. :(