• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Need Fonts

cajunsignguy

Im looking for Dom Casual Bold, or a font that is similar. Is there a good font package that includes this font. I hate buying single fonts.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
As it happens, we have just downsized our sign business, closing our store and moving things to our home. In doing so, Lots of stuff has come onto the evaluation block to keep, sell, put in storage or throw away.

Three such items are top quality font collections, using industry standard names from URW and including full printed type catalogs. URW is the German firm that invented electronic type, if you're not familiar with them, and was for many years the official digitizing contractor for all type released by International Typeface Corporation.

The collections are named TypeWorks and TypeWorks II. Each collection contains 500 fonts and then presents five additional treatments to each font. They are: Outline, Inline, Relief Shadow, Drop Shadow and Rounded Corners. So you actually have 3,000 fonts total in each CD collection. I have one copy each of TypeWorks for Windows, TypeWorks II for Windows and TypeWorks for Macintosh.

There is one caveat to be aware of with these collections. They are in Postscript Type 1 format only. They are not TrueType or OpenType. This means you must also have a later Windows OS such as XP or Vista or you must have Adobe Type Manager installed on older systems.

These are all legal versions with CD and a huge printed type catalog. Each of the three collections is priced at $150.00 plus shipping. TypeWorks contains all four versions of Dom Casual.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can buy font paks from Best Buy for 20.00 for thousands of fonts

You can also cruise the internet at hundreds of free font sites. What you won't be getting is the quality and the industry standard names ... such as Dom Casual ... which is what the original poster is seeking from the free sites or the Best Buy font CD's.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Wow Fred, that is some big news right there! How come the move?

It's been coming for a while Chris. A combination of things:

• Overhead was getting out of hand - We were at a point where the first $7K a month in work went to meet the store overhead.
  • Business is running at 30% to 40% of what it was a year ago.
  • I need more time to devote to my clipart business and Signs 101.
  • I'm getting to an age where the physical demands of sign manufacturing are getting difficult.
We will still be providing about 90% of the products and services we were providing and expect that we will end each month with more income in our pockets.

ChiknNutz

We were wrestling with either a larger bldg or a storefront. We'd certianly rather rent from ourselves, so we're in the process of buying a new-to-us home on 5 glorious acres with a 32 x 40 shop...nearly double what we have now with all that room to expand if need be.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We were wrestling with either a larger bldg or a storefront. We'd certianly rather rent from ourselves, so we're in the process of buying a new-to-us home on 5 glorious acres with a 32 x 40 shop...nearly double what we have now with all that room to expand if need be.

We were in our storefront for 7 years and for the most part it was good for us. That 7 years of acquiring customers and building relationships is what makes it possible to make the move to home we now have and still do a decent amount of business.

ChiknNutz

Agreed...if it weren't for having established ourselves, it would be a bit harder to do. However, we're only moving 3 miles from where we are now...country living, but very close-in!

GK

Damn Fred, if i didn't have those already...id snatch that deal right up. I can't remember what I paid but buying fonts LEGALLY...is not a cheap thing to do. Not to mention most of the font packages you see in stores, require additional licensing fees in order to use them in commercial work and most of them clearly state that in the readme or EULA disclaimers. Quick idea of the pricing for legit fonts; Alias Type Collection 44 fonts: $1,999.00 USD.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
No doubt you can spend some money on legit fonts. Back when I was a type dealer the generally accepted number for a developer to bring a font family of four members to market from design to delivery was $100K. The clone collections and the free font websites create a misperception as to the cost and value of a quality font.

The URW TypeWorks collections were originally priced at $800 per collection.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Is the Florida economy tanking? That's a serious drop in business Fred.

Far as I can tell it's currently effecting areas where real estate speculation was most rampant. Our local real estate market has totally tanked and we had gotten overbuilt after our two seasons in a row of hurricane damage due to contractors and their employees needing housing. A year ago a regular seller for us was magnetic help wanted signs for our contractor clients. They couldn't meet the demand for services because there wasn't enough help available. Now all our roofers and generals are down to zero employees or a skeleton crew.

Most of our friends in the state that we've talked to report similar shortfalls. Those of you elsewhere and not effected ... don't rule out the possibility and salt away some reserves.

David Wright

No need to tell it here, I'm from Michigan. You probably know it has been been bad here for a few years. Housing market is just one of our woes.
Now they tell me there is a recession on the way. Really, what's this?

S

Sign-Man Signs

Good Luck Fred on the move. Being a Floridian I understad your situation. Need anything, just call