• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need to Uninstall a lighted sign.. If it difficult?

Jo Hill

I got a phone call this morning from a guy needing a couple of lighted Subway signs removed from a Walmart about 30 minutes away.

I have zero experience installing/uninstalling lighted signs - that being said, how difficult would it be to uninstall the attached?

I image I'd have to worry about electric wires or getting shocked?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated..

Photos are attached. IMG_7314.jpg IMG_7313.jpg

Thank you!

Jo Hill

Sub it out to a qualified company and go watch and learn. Are you a licensed electrical sign contractor? It may not even be legal for you to touch it.

no sir I am not.

it would be exciting to watch something like this get installed/ uninstalled, I might just go with your suggestion sir !

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What he said. If all you're worried about is getting shocked, I'm afraid you're quite outta your league on this one. When you're doing signs at malls and whatnot, everything hasta be UL stamped and if you don't know the first thing about electric, you could cause a fire and lives could be lost.

MikePro

youtube "Lock Out Tag Out" and you'll be fine.
its all about making sure that you've disconnected power from the source, and lock out any possibility of someone turning on the power while you have your hands on the wires. disconnect wires, cover each wire with wire nut & secure with electrical tape, remove sign, and you're set.

otherwise, +1 to suggestions above on subbing the electrical disconnect to an electrician.... since you're paying them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you observing the process.

signage

If you are not sure of electric you should pass. If you do what the above posted that will not release you if you don't do something correct and cause a fire or injure someone! Your insurance Co. will not cover it!

d fleming

If the OP hasn't done any of this kind of work before there is much more to consider than just the electrical part.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
youtube "Lock Out Tag Out" and you'll be fine.
its all about making sure that you've disconnected power from the source, and lock out any possibility of someone turning on the power while you have your hands on the wires. disconnect wires, cover each wire with wire nut & secure with electrical tape, remove sign, and you're set.

otherwise, +1 to suggestions above on subbing the electrical disconnect to an electrician.... since you're paying them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind you observing the process.

I don't bother cutting power to them anymore. Over half the time you can't locate the circuit... or even the right panel for that matter. Put some gloves on, cut the wire and cap it, just make sure you don't do it in the rain.

JBurton, I might admit to shorting a circuit because of laziness... but I won't.

Jo Hill, you shouldn't do the removal without any experience or checking with state for licensing.

Johnny Best

JoHill, do you know how to change out a light switch in your house? If not, don't get involved in taking the signs down.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I always cut power if possible. Stupidity will get you. About a month ago I was working on our shop compressor and almost grabbed the busbar on the the sub panel. Stupid close just because I was on the phone and not paying attention. Not to mention, that buzz up your arm when you get bit sucks.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That's why they're called accidents. You lost respect for what you were doing and weren't paying attention to something and zippo. Now, that was for yourself....... when hour getting paid to do it, its no longer an accident, but negligence and if ya get killed too bad. However, should someone else be hurt or worse, it could be curtains for you and you may be behind bars, just because you wanted to make some extra bucks doing something you shouldn't've been doing. .

netsol

I don't bother cutting power to them anymore. Over half the time you can't locate the circuit... or even the right panel for that matter. Put some gloves on, cut the wire and cap it, just make sure you don't do it in the rain.

JBurton, I might admit to shorting a circuit because of laziness... but I won't.

Jo Hill, you shouldn't do the removal without any experience or checking with state for licensing.

Tex
35 years ago, i had a crew of refrigeration mechanics i worked with, at a large client.
one guy in particular, was a walking train wreck. he would never look for a breaker, he took a plug, for whatever circuit it was and put a jumper wire across it. he made a dead short
plug it in, then looked for the tripped breaker. (easy as it can br, he said)

then one day, he plugged into a 30 amp 440v drop cord.
boom

we sent him to the hospital ( he was on a ladder)
he melted about 150' of 4 conductor wire

i believe the electricians charged close to $3500 to pull new wire inside that conduit

i often wonder if bob is still alive...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Tex
35 years ago, i had a crew of refrigeration mechanics i worked with, at a large client.
one guy in particular, was a walking train wreck. he would never look for a breaker, he took a plug, for whatever circuit it was and put a jumper wire across it. he made a dead short
plug it in, then looked for the tripped breaker. (easy as it can br, he said)

then one day, he plugged into a 30 amp 440v drop cord.
boom

we sent him to the hospital ( he was on a ladder)
he melted about 150' of 4 conductor wire

i believe the electricians charged close to $3500 to pull new wire inside that conduit

i often wonder if bob is still alive...

Great story, but I don't short circuits to find stuff. Like I said, cut wire w/ gloves on and cap it.

If you took my post seriously, I can predict you are not a Trump voter.

Last edited:

MikePro

i can appreciate the "get 'er dunn" mentality :)
took me a hard zap to stop dickin' around for the sake of a rush, luckily it was a fluorescent ballast i was reaching-up for. hands turned to stone and pulled themselves away from the circuit.